Subaru Outback Forums banner

Just ordered my 2016 3.6R

6K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  sleeperwagon 
#1 ·
Holly crap i'm so excited. just pulled the trigger on a 2016 3.6R limited with Teck package. although i owned a few Subies, this is my first new one. they said it'll be atleast a couple of months before they find my trim.

Again, like most of my Subies, i first became a member on the specific model forum. Did my research, and as usual these Subie forums are amazing. so much help and support from everyone as well as input and experience from drivers and enthusiasts. I plan on being a contributor to this forum as i am with the other forums and happy to be part of this community.

Thank you.

PJ

#3 ·
Congrats. You sound very excited and the wait will be worth it. Love my 3.6R. Always looking for a reason to drive it.

What color did you order?

#4 ·
Yes the anticipation is already kicking in. Black on black leather. i need some time to clear the other subies anyway, so its a good thing. my neighbors are always wondering why there are so many subarus on my driveway lol.

#5 ·
We're one of the few with black. Hard to keep clean but when they are clean I think they look awesome. Especially with the chrome 3.6R emblem.

#10 ·
Congrats! I put in my order on 3/31 and ended up picking up last Wednesday since my dealer got an identical vehicle in as an inter-dealer swap. I've only seen 1 other 3.6 on the road in the time since I placed my order here in MA, myself. Unlike you this is my first Subie but I'm enjoying it greatly so far! Hope you enjoy yours as well!

#13 ·
I have the tan interior too on my black OB so I got a seat cushion to at least keep the seat bottoms from getting the dreaded blue jean dye on them. 17k miles so far and it has worked out good. The rest cleans up very well with some leather cleaner/conditioner.

Reactions: sleeperwagon
#14 ·
Never heard of blue jeans dying car leather before, but good to know! I've noticed some light stains on the drivers side door arm rest already though. I figured a leather cleaner once a year would do the trick.

With the other passengers mentioned above, stains and dirt tend to find there way in so I don't stress about it too much. Its a Subaru after all, its meant to be dirty right?

#15 ·
Others can (and likely will) correct me if I'm wrong but the manual says other than vacuuming out the dirt all that is needed is a quick wipe down once a month with a lightly damp cloth on the leather. I've seen one thread about the blue jean issue but that's with the ivory interior, not black (how would you even see it? LOL). I've got ivory in my Lapis Blue OB, dang it. The blue looks black in the right lighting! Like the black, the LBP is pretty bad at showing dirt but it sure does look pretty when it is clean.

I'm tantalizingly close to finishing the 1k break-in period, will cross that goal no later than Friday. Then I can finally play with the ACC and be a teensy bit more aggressive in my driving (not really needed, even keeping the car under 4k RPM it is plenty fast).

Enjoy your new baby!

Attachments

#16 ·
Just got my break in done over the week end on the 3.6R we picked up on 4/6/16, almost a week earlier than estimated. We have the black interior with the Cobalt Gray that seems to change color from a bluish to a dark gray/charcoal depending on the light. I thought it would hide the dirt a little better, but so far it does not do as well as the 2011 Cypress Green did. Anyways, congratulations!

#18 ·
Thank you everyone. this car is a definite pleasure to drive. although, i didnt care much about the break-in period. i drive it a tad aggressive from day 1 .
i so wanted the tan leather or ivory too, gorgeous combo. But with all these kids (5 of them) lol and a dog, i know they'd do a number on it. black just wont show.

has anyone noticed, on low rpm driving lets say in a parking lot or something, that throttle is way too sensitive especially if its a little bumpy. feels almost like a hesitation but i assume its the foot movement on the gas peddle. or is it just me.. aside from that, cant believe i'v waited this long to get into an OB.

#19 ·
Thank you everyone. this car is a definite pleasure to drive. although, i didnt care much about the break-in period. i drive it a tad aggressive from day 1 .
i so wanted the tan leather or ivory too, gorgeous combo. But with all these kids (5 of them) lol and a dog, i know they'd do a number on it. black just wont show.

has anyone noticed, on low rpm driving lets say in a parking lot or something, that throttle is way too sensitive especially if its a little bumpy. feels almost like a hesitation but i assume its the foot movement on the gas peddle. or is it just me.. aside from that, cant believe i'v waited this long to get into an OB.[b/]

About that last statement. I feel the same way about my 3.6, but when I look at the prior model years, and Subaru in general, I remember why I eschewed Subaru for so long: the OB MY2015 is the first non-goofy looking Subaru.

#25 ·
Congrats and welcome! I helped my mom order a new 3.6 limited w/eyesight a few weeks ago and we're heading in tomorrow to pick it up. She's trading in her lexus rx for the Subaru. She's excited to have eyesight and AWD.

We test drove most cars out there - lexus to acura to ford (GM brand is out by default). Subaru easily won as her choice for a vehicle.

#31 ·
A bit of help from the new Outback owners....

I've been viewing a lot of YouTube Outback videos, reading forums etc. as our current vehicle lease is up next February. Locally, there aren't any 3.6R's to test drive. Feature wise, I like the 3.6R's bi-xenon light option that's not available with the 2.5L four. Various comments seem to indicate the H-6 is smoother idling, and quieter running while providing more HP and Torque. We won't be doing any off-roading with the Outback but do live in snow country.

Appreciate any 3.6R owner insights of their vehicle vs the 2.5L Outback...why the 3.6R? If you chose the 2.5L, are you happy with its engine performance? Many thanks.

#36 ·
Appreciate any 3.6R owner insights of their vehicle vs the 2.5L Outback...why the 3.6R? If you chose the 2.5L, are you happy with its engine performance? Many thanks.
Towing was the big one for me in choosing the 3.6 over the 2.5 but also the engine just felt smoother, quieter, and a lot faster. I test drove both before deciding, which I highly recommend. Six weeks since purchase, still love the engine.

Reactions: Miata13 and BOXR 6
#35 ·
I have had both. The 2.5 was certainly a good AWD vehicle and had enough power to go all over the country, including up Pikes Peak and through plenty of snow. I rarely drove it with my foot to the floor and found it fine in most city traffic and any interstate cruising scenario. That said, the 3.6R is a quieter running vehicle, the H.I.D. lights are a little better, and, no surprise, it is quicker. If purchase price and running costs are not a huge consideration, I think you will enjoy driving the 3.6R more. The 2.5 is a good vehicle as well, just a little less refined feeling, and I think just as capable in AWD performance.

#37 ·
Since I began working at Tom Wood Subaru I've gotten to see just about every color combination and despite the fact that I don't like most black vehicles there is a black on black 2016 Outback that I drove recently that is growing on me. I may even buy it soon!

As far as the 2.5 vs. 3.6 discussion is concerned, I think if you have the willingness to pay the price for a 3.6 you will never be disappointed. But if the initial cost and added expense of the engine may be a concern the 2.5 will be more than adequate for most. I love the 2.5 myself.

#39 ·
3.6R for me

I went to Colorado to trade in my 2012 2.5 Premium for a 2016 2.5 Limited. As fate would have it, they had 2 3.6R Limiteds in stock. One test drive of the 3.6R and 2.5 in Colorado confirmed to me what I wanted. It was a night and day difference in terms of "noise" when climbing the hills. Where my 2.5 always "screamed" on acceleration, the 3.6R is just, well, smoother and more quite. It was about $3k more than I was planning on spending. But, in the end, I'm over the moon with the purchase. Wound up with the 3.6R Limited in grey fully loaded with option packages 23 & 5, body side moldings, wheel arch moldings and remote start for $34,444 + TTL. Compared to the drive from Austin to Colorado Springs in the old 2.5, the return trip in the 3.6 was more relaxing and quiet. Had budget been a major concern, the 2.5 would have been fine. Funny thing is.....as far as fuel economy is concerned....my old 2.5 never bettered 26mpg real world on the highway. The 3.6 did 28mpg real calculation (not computer). Very impressed. Honestly, if you can spin the 3k premium, you will not be unimpressed. Having said that, the 2.5 is plenty for most people and most situations.

#41 ·
El Guapo, looks like you got a great deal! I also have the Carbide Gray with packages 23 & 5, no moldings though. Your mileage sounds promising. I had both a 2011 and a 2016 2.5 Outback and I thought the 2011 got better mileage. So far mine has fairly similar results mileage wise to the 2016 2.5, probably within 10%. I agree with your comments.

#45 ·
Any subaru i'v owned i have a hard time getting rid of. considering i bought this one new, i know for sure its going to be with us for a good long time. the cost of driving something as enjoyable as this to me is priceless. we were considering trading in the Odyssey too for another outback is how much my wife likes the car. but we have 5 kids and need the seating capacity for now. funny thing though, only subie owners love their cars this much.

#46 ·
So i ticked off a bunch of stuff on the to do list.

swapped out the sway bar for a 20mm. literally took 5 minutes lol.
tinted my windows.
installed a car starter.
LED conversion to the on the license plate.
Yellow lamin-x fogs
LED fogs yellow also.

now heres the kicker, i noticed i had a few more LED's for the interior, so i undid the puddle light on the drivers side, removed the bulb, as i came to put the led in, it touched both sides of the metal and zapped something.

i figured not a big deal, laughed about it and went to look for the fuse. well.... i dont have any blown fuses. i have literally removed and check every fuse under the hood as well as the interior. NO BLOWN FUSES.

so courtesty lights anywhere, my key fob doesn't work either. now based on all the research thus far, looks like i may have zapped the BCM (body control module) which i havent been able to locate yet.

anyone have any ideas? has this happened to anyone else?

#47 ·
I haven't a clue as I would never do that to a new vehicle, but that's just me. Since you already tested every fuse and stuff, the only thing I would try is to disconnect the battery, wait about 30 minutes to one hour and then reconnect the battery and see if that cures anything. It certainly won't make things any worse. I don't think.

You will have to reprogram several things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.