Subaru Outback Forums banner

What to do with some OEM tires?

16K views 69 replies 41 participants last post by  jetman 
#1 ·
I am planning on getting new tires for my 2016 3.6 and found there is NO interest in the OEM tires. They now have ~ 1,300 miles on them.

This was a surprise. I was hoping on getting a few $$ for them and I'd hate to just throw them away.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#3 ·
Well, can't say I'm surprised. The Duelers are the worst tires I've had in recent memory (however, to be fair, I've been running Michelins for the past 7 years). They absolutely stink in snow and I've also noticed, on two separate occasions now, they seem to hydroplane fairly easily. Fortunately for me we had a mild winter, so now I can wait until the fall to get rid of them, but I'll definitely be using a little extra caution in heavy rain. Even checked the tread depth recently (around 17k) and still plenty of life left.

#54 ·
Like everyone else is saying put the tires on craigslist and just try and make a buck off of them. You might want $300, but take $100 just to get them out of your house!

On a side not I have noticed the Duelers do easily hydroplane, and its not something I was expecting out of new tires. I want to get BF's, but can see justifying not using decent tires, especially since I am commuting a lot at he present time.

#4 ·
Put them on Craigslist for what you think they are worth. I'm sure someone will call and offer you something.

#7 ·
Buy new tires from Discount Tires and get a trade in value for them. I just did on my original tires with 4,000 miles on them. I also did it last year with my 2015 Forester, those tires only had 35 miles on them. I just put continental cross contact lx20 eco tires on my Outback,,,,,and love them.

#12 ·
It's Discount Tire that isn't offering a trade in. I'd love to be able to give them to a deserving individual for whom they'd make a real difference.

But I'm tempted to just continue driving on them if/until I determine they must be replaced.

Thanks all for your thoughts/suggestions.:7:

#8 ·
... and I'd hate to just throw them away. Anyone have any suggestions?
Well, you asked, so yeah, I have suggestions.
Don't even think about throwing them away.
If you can't be bothered to persevere with trying to sell them, ask around and find some single mom working two jobs for whom a brand new set of tires for free would make the difference between adequate school supplies and decent lunches for the kids.

But really now, I've yet to come across a tire service business which wouldn't give something as trade-in for what are basically brand new tires.

They'd sell on Craig's list around here real quick for quite a bit more than the tire store would give you in trade, though.
There are always people who don't have the ready cash to run out and buy brand new stuff who are looking for a decent deal on all kinds of things, including tires.

#53 ·
Exactly what I did with the o.e. run flats on our MINI.....advertised them on local MINI Club website...and was able to both get some $ return and provide another MINI owner with a GREAT deal on 1,500 mile old very expensive, Pirelli P7 All Season run flats. Win- Win.

#9 ·
I'm curious as to why you need to replace them. Unless you're going to an entirely different setup, the stock tires (contrary to some of the sheep here) do a good job for their intended purpose.

For some reason, some read a negative report and in turn follow suit and believe the tire is junk. I'm surprised those same people even own a Subaru based on some of the lack luster comments on the vehicle.

#10 ·
I was lucky enough to have one develop a bubble in one at 15,000 miles

Bought a set of Michelin Premier A/S tires at Costco. A great purchase. They are vastly superior to the OEM junk

#11 ·
...Bought a set of Michelin Premier A/S tires at Costco. A great purchase. They are vastly superior to the OEM junk
A 2015 Consumer Reports article (very big following on this forum) says the Michelin Premier A/S tests OK at best. "Premier A/S dry braking stops are just average and when the tires were shaved (simulated wear), things got worse when tested against similar brands..."

#13 ·
How long have you tried selling them?
As for me, I love the tires! If my car wasn't so new I'd buy them, but I don't have anywhere to store them.
Are they the best tires I've ever owned? Heck no! Are they the worst? Absolutely not!
They're a great tire that do their job. When it comes time to replace, I'll be going Michelin. I just like the brand better than Bridgestone. But, if this deal was on the table at the time I needed a set I wouldn't hesitate buying them.
Another thing you must do is mark the position of the tires when you take them off. It's very important they go back on the way they came off.

#14 ·
I'd keep them for trade in or to put on at resale.

In fact, I'm thinking of getting Continental "Pure Contact with Eco Plus Technology" tires, which are rated just below the Michelins, but at considerably less money. My OEM Bridgestone Duelers are loud, handle poorly and are very low rated on Tire Rack & other places.

Maybe with 2300 miles on them I'll just stick them in the attic or shed and put back on at trade/resale.

#26 ·
In fact, I'm thinking of getting Continental "Pure Contact with Eco Plus Technology" tires, which are rated just below the Michelins, but at considerably less money. My OEM Bridgestone Duelers are loud, handle poorly and are very low rated on Tire Rack & other places.
I put a set of ecoPlus tires on my Prius and was happy enough that 4 years later I bought another set for my ML320 to replace a set of loud Michelins (after popping one on a brick on interstate).

Then again I'm not (yet) displeased with the OE (not OEM) Bridgestones on my Limited.

"Bridgestone Duelers" are not OEM, they are OE, Original Equipment.

"Bridgestone" is OEM, the Original Equipment Manufacturer. Any tire, any model, any size, is OEM if Bridgestone.

#16 ·
You have to keep in mind Subaru is putting the best tire on that they can get the highest MPG with.
I think the tires are fine, but I don't think they are "the best tire with the best MPG". I think it's more like "the best inexpensive tire that they got a good deal on". I am a Subaru fan, but they are still trying to keep costs down and make money, like every company.

#18 ·
People here talk...

... about the Continental brand. We had a terrible experience with this brand back in 08 on our CRV. I do not remember the tire model but they came on the car. The car was a Japan mfr-ed unit. We could not get 18K out of this "TRASH". This was my wife's car --she is such a gentle driver she can (did) get 90K out of a set of brake pads on a acura integra. Her driving makes me want to cry out "stop being so cautious"
Somebody will have to prove to me Continental has improved before I go back to them
:nerd:

#28 ·
Somebody will have to prove to me Continental has improved before I go back to them
:nerd:
I had no problems with the Continental DWS high-performance A/S tires on my old S4 and had them for close to 15k and still had 50% of tread left when I sold it. And that was on a car making 450 hp and a lot of "spirited" mountain driving, long road trips, and mid-west snow storms.

Keep in mind, a tire brand sets markets for specific tires and their whole product range isn't going to be equal in performance for specific designs. This is also assuming the car is maintained with proper pressures and an alignment is done periodically, which will quickly wear out a tire if it's not.

Unless you have a big hole burning in your pocket then use the OEM tires until they're done because they aren't superb, but get the job done fine. That money would be better spent on an advanced driving school. However, I can't say I'm not obsessive about tires either - I'll junk a brand new set of pricey race tires after one weekend at the track on my motorcycle.

#19 ·
Use them until you need new tires. Now, this is coming from someone who had the same plans as you (get good tires on a new car and sell the OEMs) but then decided to give them a try after other members (@KentuckyOutback one of them) posted that they had good experience with theirs. This saved me money and surprisingly, in Colorado, they did well on the snow. So instead of finding a buyer for new tires, I kept them and will replace them when the time comes. From other members, the OEM tires lifespan is 20-25K miles.

#20 ·
OEM Tires

I have only 3800 K on my 2016 3.6. I picked up the car in Colorado in mid March. There was an immediate snowstorm. It did not make much difference in the new Subaru. The tires were indeed adequate.
On the way home to California, we hit 4 big storms in Western Colorado and Utah including hail, snow, rain and slush. We stayed two nights in SLC then headed home.
The morning we left there was another snow storm. Our biggest difficulty was brushing the heavy snow off the Outback. We had to buy a snow brush scraper gadget.
I wouldn't purchase these tires again but they are certainly adequate. I have quite a bit of snow experience for a CA driver since we travel all over the West and skied when we were younger.

#22 ·
Are the tires really that bad? I think this every time a read a new thread about tires/wheels/etc. Sure, there are better purpose built tires, but A/S tires are designed for use in all-weather conditions, and it seems like much of the negative has to do with that. This is also one of those instants that I wonder if "forums" and "reviews" have a tendency to create a placebo effect on the usefulness of tire "x". I guess my point is, and I haven't looked either, I need to see empirical data that they are actually "worse" than any other AS tire out there. I will likely replace my wheels in the next 3-6 months and obviously the tires will get replaced then; but i will keep the stock stuff for a spare. I can't see replacing perfectly "good" (new) tires with new ones just because the "tires" are "trash". If it were a situation where I actually felt unsafe driving on them, that would be different. In my experience, they handled all the weather I have dealt with just fine. Including light snow/ice, rain, and dry pavement.

Just my 0.02

#24 ·
It's all a matter of how aggressive of a driver you are. For me (and my habits) in the northeast this is a 3 season tire at best. It's not a horrible tire above 45F but once the temps go below that they are of little worth to me and my driving style. Laterally in the snow there was very little indication when I was walking the line between traction and being in someone else's lane. In the rain and cold I found the traction to be, concerning for panic stops. I'm coming from the last 150K a lifted (for the last 100K) SUV with studded Nokians chasing snow on my days off like it was my job. Not " oh hey it snowed, lets find a un-plowed trail or parking lot to mess a round on" but state shutdown " I need to get to work or the mountain (they are equally important to me.)

If you live in a warmer climate I would imagine these tires are absolutely fine for that. I plan on running these "meh" tires as my 3 seasons until they are spent. If you are a conservative driver you'll probably be fine. As for me, I'll have a set of studded Nokians waiting in my garage for November. That being said, when the Bridgestones are done another set will not be mounted in their stead.

#25 ·
I've never been all that interested in tires. I have 3 OBWs never noticed anything about the OEM tires good or bad and I replaced them with whatever A/S seemed most cost effective when they wore out. I couldn't tell you brand, model, or anything. I consider mid price range A/S tires a commodity.

Then I drove my 2016 3.6R on the highway in light snow.

I've never felt any of my Outbacks lose grip on the roadway just driving straight ahead no matter what the conditions. This car - with these tires - is downright skittish driving straight ahead at highway speeds in light snow. Frighteningly so.

Luckily this winter wasn't so bad, but it happened to me twice and it won't happen again: I'm changing these tires out before next winter. If they're ok in the rain this summer I'll keep them for the warm seasons and get snow tires for the winter. If not, I'll go with new A/S before it snows again. I will not drive in the snow with these tires again.

#37 ·
If you absolutely demand the best, then get em. The tires that came with my car are poor and I will need to replace soon at 30K. But I am not so rich that I would not get whatever use I could out of the tires just to satisfy a desire that better is absolutely needed.

#39 ·
Here in the northwest the stock tires suit my 3 season needs fine. I put Blizzaks on the stock wheels for the winter months and will get new wheels for the stock tires that which will work until winter comes again. Easier and cheaper in the long run to swap wheels vs tires.

#40 ·
It's strange to hear there are no takers for practically new tires. Heck, I had a guy give me $150 for five of my old all-terrains I took off my Jeep last winter. They were even starting to dry rot. Now for my OB, Michelins will probably be the next ones I get. That or Hankook.

#42 ·
It's strange to hear there are no takers for practically new tires.
Maybe the odd size? How many cars that carry 225/60-18 need tires replaced?
It's like trying to sell the OB all-weather floor mats. I think every car came with them from dealer.
I'd just run them out, unless there's a particular task they can't perform. They probably won't last that long anyway, judging from my past experience with OEM tires, except the Conti's that came on my 2002 Escape. Those wore like iron, with traction to match!

#47 ·
I find the original Dunlops to be VERY loud on most roads over 50 or so. Contis on my other Subaru and Michelins on the Toyota van are far quieter.

Thinking of getting the Continentals and keeping the Dunlops for resale or just sell them.
I caution against generalizing and lumping all Dunlops together, all Michelins together, all Continentals together. There are often huge differences between similar looking tires from the same manufacturer.

Not at all similar looking but I was totally underwhelmed by the OE Continentals which came on my 2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty. Bounced when new, replaced at 500 miles under warranty. And again at 30,000 under recall. Which helped trade-in price. Wore quickly and had exceptionally poor traction on dry roads, worse wet or even on wet grass.

Didn't let that talk me out of buying Continental ecoPlus tires for Prius. Was a great choice. Good traction, wear, and quiet, for bottom dollar price.

Bought Continental ecoPlus again for SUV last year. Another good choice but even with new tires I decided the SUV had to be replaced with an Outback.

#44 ·
Thanks all for your thoughts.:7:

Having considered all your inputs, I think I'll just run the current OE tires and see how they do over the next year. I don't drive the Outback hard--I have something else for more spirited jollies. I have found them to be quiet, but haven't pushed them in the dry or tried them in heavy rain or snow yet.

However, if I don't like them when we go to Canada in the winter, then they'll be gone. :behead:

Again, thanks all for your views.

#48 ·
. I have found them to be quiet, but haven't pushed them in the dry or tried them in heavy rain or snow yet.
However, if I don't like them when we go to Canada in the winter, then they'll be gone.
Where in Canada do you typically go in the winter?

The OEMs are pretty good. I found them good in dry weather, great in rain/water. Not bad in snow (light snow); where I'm from we get a lot of snow and ice and dedicated snow tires are really beneficial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.