Subaru Outback Forums banner

Sunroof open warning?

11K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  ammcinnis 
#1 ·
Anyone else think it would be handy to know if you've left your sunroof open when you leave the car? This is my first car with a sunroof, (in Australia you don't get a choice if you want the 3.6) so I don't know if other makes let you know.

I often have mine lifted at the back with the interior cover almost closed just to let hot air out, but often forget it, as its not really that noticeable. So one day I'm going to get rain in there or a swarm of wasps.

I would have thought that with all the other warnings and alerts on this car that this would have been a given. I guess that the sunroof is just another window, but as stated earlier, I don't really notice the sunroof.

The other thing I would like to see is some form of sliding insect screen so I can leave it open intentionally in the right circumstances.

#2 ·
Great point. I don't have the sunroof, so I don't know. but it would be nice if it would close automatically on lock up. I had a mid-90's Chevy Impala SS that would do that. You had to really work to leave it open; open the door for exit, lock the doors, then pop the roof and close the door. And the car didn't honk at you if you locked the doors with one open!

#4 ·
Anyone else think it would be handy to know if you've left your sunroof open when you leave the car? This is my first car with a sunroof, (in Australia you don't get a choice if you want the 3.6) so I don't know if other makes let you know.
In my 30+ years of driving the only cars I recall that did not have a sunroof were convertibles and I have never seen such a feature. Seems like an obvious idea though.

I do not think it is a matter of if I will leave the vent mode open, but when will rain get it. I just wipe off the seats and all is usually fine. The worst I ever had was a Volvo S70 where the shade had a plastic piece that made a thin tray and held rainwater, then you get in and next time you close the tray the water sloshes out all over you or worse yet start driving and get sloshed at the next stop sign.

#6 ·
I often forget mine is in the raised position also. I like "provels" idea of closing automatically on lock up, although that would mean you couldn't intentionally leave it open unless you left the car unlocked.

#15 ·
I could still lock it, but...

Car on for power
Open door
Lock with door button
Open/tilt roof
Car off
Exit and close door.

Whew! :grin2:

#7 ·
...I often have mine lifted at the back with the interior cover almost closed just to let hot air out, but often forget it, as its not really that noticeable. So one day I'm going to get rain in there or a swarm of wasps....
I used to do that too.
You have to leave it open just once when it rains before you check every time you leave the car. :frown2: I found that it takes a few days for the cover to dry out completely and a visual check when you step out of the car will confirm that it's closed. Luckily, I got into that habit before I got my Outback.

#9 ·
While I maybe wouldn't mind a light that reminds me the sunroof is open, it would be another light that I'd learn to ignore.

As far as autoclosing upon lock, I have another viewpoint. I frequently have my dogs with me and if I stop at a store or something, I'll leave them in the back with the dog barrier up and the sunroof open for ventilation. They're safe and secure in back with a large "window" open to keep the cabin ventilated. And actually, even when I don't have them with me, I'll leave the sunroof open when running other errands, keeping the cabin, if not cool, then tolerable. With the windows up and the doors locked, a miscreant would have to climb through the roof to perform any mis-deeds, an action that would likely cause attention they wouldn't want in the first place.

At the end of the day, I think it's my responsibility to make sure that when I leave my vehicle, it's configured to be secure no matter what it might otherwise think.

#10 ·
Would be convenient, and perhaps some brands to this, but just have the moonroof automatically close when key is pulled out or ignition turned off. I don't have a moonroof so obviously a non issue for me but I have know people to leave it open and then is started raining.

#14 ·
I have had a few aftermarket sunroofs fitted and all of them had been wired up so they would close automatically when the ignition was switched off. You also had the option that by pressing the open button before turning off the ignition the sunroof could also be left open or ajar if desired. There was also a rain sensing option available which was attached to the inside of the windscreen (front windshield) as soon as it detected spots of rain or water onto the screen the sunroof would close :) It was surprisingly effective as well. Volkswagen and many other Euro vehicles have this feature available on the Premium models. I would think that this was something that could be easily incorporated into the existing system. My aftermarkets were the Hollandia branded sunroof and install was done through Webasto (Sydney) I don't see why any professional sunroof installer wouldn't be able to offer something like this and fit it to the existing system :)

#16 ·
Am I the only one here who thinks we overdo it with electronics? Whether you're looking at the dash or looking up at the sunroof, you still have to look at something!

It's not like you can't see it open when you are sitting in the driver's seat - unlike, say, TPMS, oil pressure, temperature, door ajar, cruise control, etc. - all of those are good things to have an indicator for, because the entity being monitored can be rather invisible or difficult to monitor without aid.

I just train myself to glance up before withdrawing the ignition key.

#18 ·
......this will lead to you "aussies" wanting screen doors on your Outbacks:wink2:
You obviously haven't seen the size of our mosquitos over here, we could all do with screens on our OB's, In the movie Crocodile Dundee, Mick Dundee already warned you about our Funnel Web spiders, they can kill a man just by looking at him, our mozzies are also deadly and suck blood at a rate of a litre a km !! :surprise:

#24 ·
I've owned three cars with sun/moon roofs (still own 2 of them). None of them came with any kind of warning indicators. Just taught myself to glance up before turning off the car.

I'd like to have it both ways though. I want it to beep if I left it open unless I intentionally left it open and then it shouldn't beep. So the car needs to be able to read my mind....:wink2:

#27 ·
For those too dumb to realize they left the sunroof open, why not just have it automatically close when you lock the car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.