Subaru Outback Forums banner

Is the 2017 3.6R Touring really worth $1,605 (MSRP) more than the 2017 3.6R Limited?

60K views 75 replies 46 participants last post by  finchna 
#1 ·
As the attached chart demonstrates the only additional item of equipment on the 2017 Touring is the heated steering wheel. If we assume an MSRP of $200 for the heated steering wheel then the balance of the increase of $1,405 has to be solely attributed to cosmetic trim items.

My question is this. Do you think the cosmetic trim items on the Touring are really worth an added $1,405?

I am having a very hard time deciding.

My $0.02.

Fred Meloan

PS: I have done an analysis of "Out the Door" prices and the bottom line is that the difference in price between the 3.6R Limited and 3.6R Touring is still very close to $1,600.

Attachments

#2 ·
If you look at the cost to add the JDM/EDM roof rails, it still only comes up to about 800-1000 (6-800 for parts and install). The other stuff I could do without. Personally, and I'm not the one to normally say this, I don't think it is. I don't care for the new colors, interior or ext.

#4 ·
For me, it's not. I prefer the wheels I have now. Don't mind the current grill, don't like that chrome side molding and don't miss heated steering wheel. So for me the only thing I do like is the slimmer roof rails but those can be added later I would think as a replacement to the current roof rails.

It's all about preference. If you really like those extras, then it's your money. Just like the 2.5 guys tell us 3.6 guys that's it's waste of money to get the 3.6. Well, it's my money so to each his own and whatever makes you happy ;)

#20 ·
It's all about preference. If you really like those extras, then it's your money. Just like the 2.5 guys tell us 3.6 guys that's it's waste of money to get the 3.6. Well, it's my money so to each his own and whatever makes you happy ;)
Exactly right, everyone has to decide if something is worth it or not. Hence I have a 3.6 OB instead of a 2.5 OB. Frankly, the 2017 Touring OB does not appeal to me but to each their own. If someone else finds it attractive and deems it to be worth the extra cost, so be it.

#9 ·
One thing to consider when you are comparing different trims is also trade in/resale value. You need consider how much of that 1600 dollar difference you might be able to get back when you trade your car in or sell it. I don't have an opinion either way whether touring is worth that much more than a loaded limited since I am not planning on getting a touring or limited. But I can tell you - as somebody that made the mistake of getting the lowest trim on my last purchase -1600 dollars is not really all that much of a difference on a +S35K car if you really care about those features that are touring only.

#11 ·
True. It's funny how perception works, especially when you get uneducated sales people. If I had gotten the base 3.6 limited without sunroof or nav, it would hit the resale much harder believe it or not even though I kind of preferred it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I do not find the package worth the $ to me. I agree they will all sell and it is largely a matter of personal preference.

Brown interior & roof rails without crossbars are negative value in my mind.
Side panels & heated steering wheel I am indifferent on but do not think I would pay any $.
Grey wheels, interior trim & black grill all seem to look nice and I may be able to justify paying a few hundred, but not more. This is similar to my justifying the $400 for arch molding because I liked the way they looked.

Imagine if the guy who ordered every option on his 3.6 does not think it is worth it, then I think many people who calculate these things may decide touring not worth it if they ordering a car. I justified the limited, but some people can not do that, so it is individual preference. I think they will sell off the lot for now as people look and then desire.

As far as trade in value, I do not think you get any of that 1600 back if we are talking 4 years/50K miles +. The buyers want the common toys, but will not pay a premium is my experience. Not having equipment can get you a hit to value, but having more than is common does not usually get you extra.

#12 ·
Touring Option "limits" Color Options

I was a bit surprised that the new Touring model limits the interior leather option to only the new dark brown leather. The Touring also limits the exterior colors to only the black, white, green, lapis blue and the new "touring only" Brilliant Brown.

I can understand having a Touring-only custom brown leather and brown exterior paint scheme...but why remove the other interior/exterior color options too?

I would like the heated steering wheel and prefer the slim roof racks...but not $1,600 more. I DO like the fact that the new 2.5L can be had with bi-xenon headlights in 2017.....that might drive (sorry!) the 2.5L vs 3.6R decision too.

#14 ·
I was a bit surprised that the new Touring model limits the interior leather option to only the new dark brown leather. The Touring also limits the exterior colors to only the black, white, green, lapis blue and the new "touring only" Brilliant Brown.

I can understand having a Touring-only custom brown leather and brown exterior paint scheme...but why remove the other interior/exterior color options too?

I would like the heated steering wheel and prefer the slim roof racks...but not $1,600 more. I DO like the fact that the new 2.5L can be had with bi-xenon headlights in 2017.....that might drive (sorry!) the 2.5L vs 3.6R decision too.
I think the brown leather is of a higher quality. They all have contrast stitching, but you'll notice the touring brown interior also has stitching on the door panels which could explain the exclusivity.

#15 ·
If you were to add a (rumored) SAP package to a Limited it could include some of the other additions of the Touring Trim. Could even be some SAP exclusive items. The '13-'14 SAP was an either/or with the Eyesight option. My '13 SAP was a $3000+ option. If it were available with Eyesight now it could put it well above the Touring in cost. At only $1405 the Touring trim is a bargain compared to to the similar previous SAP package.

#16 ·
I love the brown exterior, the brown interior, and the slim roof rails. I'd gladly pay every penny for the Touring model and more if I hadn't bought my 2016 a few months ago. I know lots of people would consider these things a big waste of money. I understand that. Me, I lust for the car.

Oh, and I'm in cold country but the heated steering wheel is the one aspect I don't care about. Gloves do the trick in winter just fine.

#19 ·
My question is this. Do you think the cosmetic trim items on the Touring are really worth an added $1,405?

I am having a very hard time deciding.

My $0.02.

Fred Meloan
Throw the spreadsheet away. Go with your heart and your emotion. If you feel that the car looks really good and a lot better, then who gives a *bleep*? Buy it. If you don't think that the cosmetic value exceeds the price, then don't buy it.

Not everything can be reduced to numbers. That's why there's more than one make and model of car available for sale out there. Otherwise we'd have never changed from the Model-T.

>:)

#22 ·
Throw the spreadsheet away. Go with your heart and your emotion. If you feel that the car looks really good and a lot better, then who gives a *bleep*? Buy it. If you don't think that the cosmetic value exceeds the price, then don't buy it.
Carl,

I can agree with you on this as purchasing any new car is always a partially emotional decision.

I have decided that I need to see a 2017 Touring in the flesh before I can make the final decision between the Touring and the Limited.

Subaru should be giving us complete pictorial details on their website in order to help us make the decision.

Fred Meloan

#21 ·
I talked with my sales rep a couple of weeks while I was in for my first service and he quite candidly said that the cars will sell themselves and they don't have to work to make a sale.

Right now how many of you have seen a dealer have a covy of 3.6s sitting on their lots? Even Carl, and my dealer too, said if you want a 3.6 it's less hassle to just order it because no other local dealer will part with theirs.

These will be sold before they ever sit on a lot.

#38 ·
I agree. $40K is way too expensive for a car that starts at only $25K. The only things I really wanted were the roof rails and brown leather interior.

Plus...due to the extremely limited availability of 3.6's, Subaru won't negotiate on prices. At that price point, Subaru is going to up against the big boys in the luxury SUV market: Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. That's not Subaru's sweet spot, trying to go head to head against the much larger luxury automakers whom DO negotiate pricing and have bigger inventories. I like the Touring, but just way too expensive IMO.

#31 ·
I have decided that the only way to decide if the Touring is worth the added dollars is to order one so I placed an order with my dealer on June 1. Delivery may take until September but that's o.k. with me. MSRP for my list of accessories is $40,052. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy my 2011 3.6R Limited which is still a great wagon.

My $0.02.

Fred Meloan

#50 ·
Your statement is a little much. You want Subaru, a non-luxury small auto manufacturer to do what no other manufacturer outside of Luxury brands will do and have a 10 way adjustable PASSENGER seat? Let's count the manufacturers who have expensive $40K+ cars that either do not even have a power passenger seat, or provide nothing beyond the standard 4-way adjustable power seat: Chevrolet, Ford, Volkswagen, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, and Subaru. Now, let's see which manufacturers that have full access power seats as an OPTION: Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus - and usually at price tags exceeding $50k. What you are asking for is not reasonable, nor practical. Just as the Forester Touring with Eyesight provides very little over the Limited with Eyesight - people still feel the need to pay the additional $2,000 to buy it. I don't mean to flame you, but seriously, only a handful of cars that have dual power seats even offer more than the 4-way adjustable option that you seem so keen on complaining about. FACT, the driver's comfort NEEDS to be adjustable because of steering wheel position and pedal placement - passenger customization is a very distant second.

#39 ·
FWIW I had a wonderful couple come in today who wanted the Touring model specifically because it has the heated steering wheel. Beyond that they appreciated the fact that Subaru is offering a loaded up standalone trimline.

I mentioned in another thread that my dealership was notified of the first allocation of MY2017 Touring models we will receive soon. One 2.5 and TWO 3.6 Touring Outbacks!!! I'd put my money on them being sold before they leave the plant.

#48 ·
I had to chime in as there seems to be a lot of disgruntled, and misguided opinions over the price discrepancy between the Limited Package 23/24, and the Touring. I work at a Subaru dealer, and like many have said, the Touring's are a commodity mainly because they are rare, and none of the 6 we have sold ever sat on the lot more than a couple of days, if at all. Regarding the price difference - when you ask someone who bought a Lexus if it was worth the $10k premium over a comparably equipped Toyota if it was "worth it", I don't see any of them saying it wasn't. Same goes for Audi and Acura owners. I ordered one specifically because my lease payment differed by $9 over the Limited, and the residual value was **** close to 70%! (68% to be exact). Couple that with the fact that I hate seeing people driving the same color and/or trim level car as me on the road - driving around in a uniquely Brown Outback with the new Thule crossbars provide the sense of uniqueness.

If you don't think the price difference is worth it - great for you, have some cake. Otherwise, it's the individuals money to be spent however they want. If you're going to make a big hoopla over a meager $1,600 difference for cosmetics, then shouldn't we all go shaming the luxury car owners for being nothing more than badge whores?

#59 ·
I had to chime in as there seems to be a lot of disgruntled, and misguided opinions over the price discrepancy between the Limited Package 23/24, and the Touring. I work at a Subaru dealer, and like many have said, the Touring's are a commodity mainly because they are rare, and none of the 6 we have sold ever sat on the lot more than a couple of days, if at all. Regarding the price difference - when you ask someone who bought a Lexus if it was worth the $10k premium over a comparably equipped Toyota if it was "worth it", I don't see any of them saying it wasn't. Same goes for Audi and Acura owners. I ordered one specifically because my lease payment differed by $9 over the Limited, and the residual value was **** close to 70%! (68% to be exact). Couple that with the fact that I hate seeing people driving the same color and/or trim level car as me on the road - driving around in a uniquely Brown Outback with the new Thule crossbars provide the sense of uniqueness.

If you don't think the price difference is worth it - great for you, have some cake. Otherwise, it's the individuals money to be spent however they want. If you're going to make a big hoopla over a meager $1,600 difference for cosmetics, then shouldn't we all go shaming the luxury car owners for being nothing more than badge whores?

You can not compare difference between Toyota and Lexus with Outback touring and limited model. There is a lot of functional, feature, ride quality, and suspension differences between Lexus and Toyota that is not at all present between Touring and Limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#51 ·
NO. I do not want a 10-way power passenger seat. Did I say that???

I just want height adjustment. That is "6-way" in a power seat. How is that too much to ask?

There are quite a few cars now that have a manual height adjuster standard on the passenger side, even if you don't get a power passenger seat.
Would you like a list?

If people don't complain about something, they will never get what they want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.