Subaru Outback Forums banner

Questions about gen5

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  subiesailor 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm posting few questions below to which I couldn't find definite answers. I apologize if it has been posted before. If I missed it, please tell me where to go!
1. What is the Front/Rear power distribution difference between the CVT and High-torque CVT transmissions? (in Gen4, CVT was 80/20 and 5-speed auto was 45/55)
2. Are there any other upgrades that are part of the 3.6 engine?
3. Would 16" steel wheels from gen4 outback fit on the gen5 outback? (either touring or limited package, since brakes are the same sizes on all)

Thanks

#2 ·
3: Nope. They changed the bolt pattern.

Reactions: 1454
#9 ·
Dual exhaust implies actual dual exhaust and not dual tailpipes. Few modern cars have or even need legit dual exhaust, yet you see it on everything from economy cars to luxobarges.

Power split with a Active full time AWD system is never fixed. So that question is moot.

The "high torque cvt is simply a slightly updated version of the first version. Various internals are a little different design. The high torque BS is probably related to a beefier torque converter to handle the 3.6. Which by the way the torque converters have been the obvious weak point in the newer cars. The cvts have proven pretty good so far.

3.6s only fit 17inch wheels and up. The 2.5 will fit 16s. Several folks run old Legacy wheels on their 2.5s for their winter tires.
They both have the same brakes now if I'm not mistaken. Also, different bolt patterns.

#5 ·
Power split with a Active full time AWD system is never fixed. So that question is moot.

The "high torque cvt is simply a slightly updated version of the first version. Various internals are a little different design. The high torque BS is probably related to a beefier torque converter to handle the 3.6. Which by the way the torque converters have been the obvious weak point in the newer cars. The cvts have proven pretty good so far.

3.6s only fit 17inch wheels and up. The 2.5 will fit 16s. Several folks run old Legacy wheels on their 2.5s for their winter tires.

#7 ·
1. What is the Front/Rear power distribution difference between the CVT and High-torque CVT transmissions?
According to the Subaru Global web site, the default torque split for the Lineartronic CVTs is 60/40 (F/R). But the F/R torque split varies constantly as you drive ... from approximately 100/0 (with the Multiplate Transfer Clutch fully released) to 50/50 (with the MTC fully engaged) ... even on clear, smooth, and dry pavement.

#11 ·
Hello all,

I'm posting few questions below to which I couldn't find definite answers. I apologize if it has been posted before. If I missed it, please tell me where to go!
1. What is the Front/Rear power distribution difference between the CVT and High-torque CVT transmissions? (in Gen4, CVT was 80/20 and 5-speed auto was 45/55)
2. Are there any other upgrades that are part of the 3.6 engine?
3. Would 16" steel wheels from gen4 outback fit on the gen5 outback? (either touring or limited package, since brakes are the same sizes on all)

Thanks
I monitored mine for about 100 miles coming back from Boone to Charlotte through wet and dry weather conditions. While moving it liked to stay around 67.5/32.5, according to Active OBD. It ranged from 0-45%. There was never any actual slippage to see how it changed in those conditions. That being said, my Outback is much easier to drive in the light snow we got down here, than my Legacy GT (2005). Don't get me wrong, the Legacy was more fun, but for just getting around the OB was better. But who doesn't love hammering down and letting the tail wag the dog. :grin2:

#16 ·
Thanks all for replies. This is what I gathered.
1. Even though I hoped for more sporty setup on the 3.6 model with more (standard) power directed to the rear wheels, seems Subaru is going mainstream route. However I don't know if there was an actual difference in driving dynamics between cvt and 5-speed in gen4.
2. With the $3k price tag for 3.6 engine...that's over $30 per horse. If those are thoroubreds, it might be worth it. I do miss a power of a 6 cylinders though.
3. Sounds as though new set of wheels is needed. Have to keep that in mind when calculating total cost of new car.

#19 ·
I understand the basic difference between automatic and cvt transmissions. I drive a 2011 Outback atm. However the question was related to power transfer to/from front/rear axle.
Car comes with wheels and tires?! >:) I can see those days when it will be an add-on again. Part of a package with steering wheel. However that package will not include seats :wink2:
I was asking about steel wheels with winter tires as I already have a set for the gen 4 outback. Some provinces in Canada (ie Quebec) already require winter tires and I see that requirement expanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.