Subaru Outback Forums banner

CVT and Diffs Fluid Change

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  junehhan 
#1 ·
Just finished adding all maintenance intervals from the Warranty and Maintenance booklet into an app for tracking. I noticed that the only info for CVT fluid is Inspection. No changes are noted. Same for front and rear diffs.

However, I know there are several threads on changing these fluids so I'm wondering what the guidance is that tells us when to change.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Just finished adding all maintenance intervals from the Warranty and Maintenance booklet into an app for tracking. I noticed that the only info for CVT fluid is Inspection. No changes are noted. Same for front and rear diffs.

However, I know there are several threads on changing these fluids so I'm wondering what the guidance is that tells us when to change.
If I read it right, "severe" service has the CVT as Service line 13 at 24,855 miles per Note 4, which says: "When the vehicle is frequently operated under severe driving conditions**,(If applicable) CVT fluid replacement should be performed every 24,855
miles (40,000 km)".

The Differentials are Service line 14 and will be at 15,000 under severe conditions per Note 3: "When the vehicle is frequently operated under severe driving conditions**,replacement should be performed every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 15 months, whichever occurs first".

"Severe" for Lines 13 and 14 are defined as: "Repeated trailer towing. (Maintenance Items 1, 2, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18)".

I do not tow, but will do the CVT and Diffs every 30 and call it good.

#4 ·
I do not tow, but will do the CVT and Diffs every 30 and call it good.
Every 30K...like the older cars...that's a good bet.

Subaru's lifetime?????..a model year....then they invent a new life...a new model. Lifetime fluids or filters are a f'n joke. No such thing...They ought to be ashamed.

#9 ·
I can fit under the car without it being on jack stands, but it does make it easier. You'll have to remove a large plastic undertray to get to the front diff. You can use a simple bottle mounted fluid pump or a Motive Power Products Power Fill. The front and rear diffs could be done either way, but the transmission needs around 4.5-5 quarts (or so, I didn't keep up with how much came out).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.