Subaru Outback Forums banner

New long distance remote start on 2017

19K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  SWKohnle08 
#1 ·
I was on cars101 and he posted that the new 2017 OBs will have on certain models a new remote start with up to a 400 ft range.

I haven't seen anyone here discuss this and I'm wondering if this can be retrofitted or if it's just a new fob issue.

#6 ·
I recently posted a thread on the new remote starter here:

New Remote Starter for Push Button Start - Any Details?

I'm picking up my new 2016 Outback on Monday. The dealer told me they could add this remote starter to the 16, but turns out they were thinking of the old one. When I asked them specifically about this new one (gave them the part number from cars101), this was the response I got:

I have been working with our Parts Advisors on this and we can't find anything that Subaru has released for available key fob remote starter kits for anything but the 2017 models. I'm not sure if they are offering it through a third party or not. We've looked everywhere and are unable to find anything.

It's probably too new I'm guessing? According to cars101, you can retrofit, so I'm hoping to add it as soon as the dealer can do so. If it turns out you can't add this new remote starter on a 16, I will be very disappointed that I didn't wait and get a 2017.

#19 ·
I am not suggesting HOW they 'enforce' all these silly laws in Vermont. Like I said above the 'distance' is stated as "Line of sight".... which makes it even more dubious. If your car is parked two rows over.. you cannot see it hence you are breaking the law if you remote-start it.

#20 ·
I've always believed and with no facts or evidence to prove it, that it is better on an engine and drive train to start up on a cold day, give it 30 seconds and then drive. Not right up to highway speeds but for a short distance of a couple miles prior to hitting the highway. This way, the engine, transmission and drive gear all warm up under load together. Yes, it's cold until the heat gets the cabin up to temp, but that's what sweaters are for. Just my opinion on remote starters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hope I've at least debunked the nonsense that it's somehow illegal to have a long distance remote start in your car. States can't override the FCC regulations for radio transmitters. Washington DC has a 3 minute motor vehicle ordinance and that's the tightest in the country. Vermont is 5 minutes. Most other states let you idle longer than that if it's cold out.

I suppose brucep dumps his used motor oil in the back yard since he apparently owns the planet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.