Subaru Outback Forums banner

Driveline vibration??

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  BrianPittsburgh 
#1 ·
has anyone with a gen 5 experienced this issue before? i got the wheels balanced/ rotors were pulsating due to lateral runout but they were cut. and i am still getting vibrations while driving. especially more between 60 and 80. its a 3.6R with 19k miles. what gives?

-vince

#2 ·
I also have 2015 3.6R OB and I have about 14,500 miles on the odometer. Thus far, I have not had any driveline vibration at all. I regularly drive around 70+ mph on the freeways in the Bay Area and have not had any vibration issue. Hope you can figure out what the problem is.

#3 ·
Maybe a bum tire? Try swapping front to back? Or a blown strut?

#4 ·
Lateral runout can also be caused by an uneven surface or corrosion between the hub and back of the rotor, in which cutting or resurfacing it won't necessarily solve the issue if it's off it's axis to begin with. If you are certain the rotor is not the issue then check the wheel bearing - it seems some Gen 5 people have had them go out prematurely and could cause the lateral runout. Otherwise it's hard to say without more info, those types of drivetrain vibrations can be caused by a number of things.

#7 ·
sorry for the delayed response. the vibration is felt through the steering wheel and seat. it ranges from speed change but most noticeable from 70+ MPH. i had the rotors cut since that started the problem and had the wheels road-force balanced, and now this. I have an appointment in a week. lets hope the mechanics figures out the problem.

-Vince

#8 ·
My 2015 Outback is in the dealership for the third time today, for the vibration. It starts at 50MPH under light acceleration. On the first two trips, they balanced the tires which had no effect. I had the tires replaced at a local tire shop, which had no effect. They cut the rotors today. I am not hopeful that it will have any effect. I have not been pleased with the dealership.

It is a shame. I love the car. This is my 3rd Subaru and never had any problems before.

#11 ·
Final update on my vibration. I took the Outback back in and took a tech and the service manager for a ride for about an hour and showed them the vibration. They kept the car for 4 days and brought in a Subaru Field Service Engineer. He deemed the vibration to be normal for Subarus. I escalated to SOA customer service and, after a week, they called me back and said the only thing they could do was extend my warranty as a courtesy. The car was functioning within specifications.

No way I could drive the car with the change in the center console shaking every time I drive between 50 and 60.

I traded in my third and final Subaru this morning on a Volvo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.