Subaru Outback Forums banner

My Third Eye

15K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  andrew_l_s 
#1 ·
Just picked up my 2017 Outback last night, coming from a 2015. I notice that there is a new, third camera just behind the rear-view mirror. Is that for Eyesight? What is its purpose?

Was this on the 2016's also or is this new for 2017?

#2 ·
Pretty sure that's just the ambient light sensor for the auto-dimming mirrors.

#3 ·
No, I don't think so. The light sensor is right where it was on my 2015. This is a new camera with a housing, lens, etc - only just slightly smaller than the eyesight cameras at the top.

I've attached a picture - not the best quality, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

#5 ·
That seems like a good explanation. I guess I assumed the high-beam assist worked off the eyesight cameras.

I wonder if this is really a dedicated standalone system, or if it somehow works in conjunction with Eyesight. Maybe only the engineers know...

I caught it in the right light yesterday (with no reflection or glare from the windscreen) and have to say it looked a little "intimidating" seeing three cameras looking out the front. Especially because this new third camera is noticeably lower.

#6 ·
Looks like Subaru will need to recommend a new location for a toll transponder as using the location recommended on a 2015/2016 will block the high beam assist sensor.

#7 ·
For now High Beam Assist is a standalone system, which is why it was able to be added without a redesign of the Eyesight. As I understand it, the Eyesight cameras are optimized for obstacle avoidance, lane guidance and aimed that way, where the High Beam Assist system is really only looking for light sources coming straight at you.

I'm sure Eyesight Generation 2 (or 3) will probably incorporate High Beam Assist.

-Joe

#11 ·
From a Subaru PP presentation a couple of years ago before Ver. 3 was introduced in the US on Gen 5 OB.

#13 ·
Ranging laser for the optional turret mounted M242 Bushmaster (22mm rear sway bar recommended).

#15 ·
On May 10, 2008, the Japanese-spec Legacy can be fitted with a new collision avoidance feature, called EyeSight. It consists of twin CCD cameras, one on each side of the rear view mirror, that use human-like stereoscopic vision to judge distances and generally keep tabs on the driver. The system can help maintain a safe distance on the highway, a lane departure warning system, a driver alert warning for various safety situations, and even keeps an eye out for pedestrians.[4][5] SI-Cruise has been integrated into the EyeSight feature as a driver safety aid.

At least it's been around for a while and they keep improving the technology.

#17 ·
At least [EyeSight] been around for a while and they keep improving the technology.
I agree. I just wish that Subaru would adopt uniform designations for EyeSight generations and Legacy/Outback generations. It would avoid a lot of buyer/owner confusion.

Reactions: Yoda_One
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.