Subaru Outback Forums banner

Nav Map Update

147K views 462 replies 118 participants last post by  bkellyaz 
#1 ·
Just checked for a map update on Subaru.com for my '16 and got a notice to check back after July 22 for the update. Have not seen a definitive date and that language before, so we may actually see something this time :grin2:

#3 ·
here is what I got

The map data in your vehicle is the freshest available. Please check back on August 15th, 2016 for a new map update release
That's the default message at that site. When I put in Outback and 2016 I get this:

Subaru Map Update Program!

Please check back on July 22nd, 2016 for a new map update release.

Now, whether that's true or not remains to be seen. We shall see tomorrow.

#7 ·
I just received this response from Subaru Canada regarding an email I sent about three weeks ago: To be specific, I wrote to ask about the InfoTainment system update, wherein there is now an on-screen option to silence Nav prompts, etc....

"....In response to your inquiry, please be advised that, the Fujitsu Navigation System in your 2016 Outback contained the most current data available at the time of production of your vehicle.

It is important to reiterate that, all 2016MY Subaru models (excluding the BRZ) with 7 inch infotainment system with navigation are covered by a map update service which include 3 free map updates within 3 years of vehicle purchase. Moreover, if there was a new map available at the time of purchase, Subaru vehicle owners would be eligible for the new map for free and this would not count against the 3 updates.

At this time, no new maps are available. We are currently in the process of creating the website where the updates occur and we expect the site to be running shortly
...."

#15 ·
You have to install software from the map vendor on a PC, then take the microSD card from your car and update with the PC. There may be an option to either buy an updated SD or maybe have the update done by the dealer. I've updated other Subarus with the PC software and it worked very well, but it takes a while, not to download given you have good provider, but writing to the SD card is slow. The software should also offer to backup your existing card in case something goes south.

#14 ·
Google maps and Apple maps work well but I do prefer to use my integrated gps. Just wish I could mute the darn voice over constantly interrupting my music. I'm going to ask for the system to be updated when I take her in after the update is released.

#17 ·
Have you downloaded the Subaru Toolbox software? I added the map update to my cart and it prompted me that I must first download the software.

The website states:

Subaru Toolbox is a utility designed to connect your navigation device with your PC. It enables you to see all available updates, download the necessary files from the internet and upload updates and new content to your navigation device.
I'm away from my computer so I can't download the software to see what happens, but it looks like that would be a good first step.

#20 ·
I just checked my SD card into the Subaru Toolbox, logged in to the map update account and was told there is no update available. Go figure. The only place that tool shows to get a free update is to enter a "scratch" code. Have no idea what that might be, but I sent an email to Here support and I'll be calling my dealer.

#21 ·
Yeah. My 3.6 is a 2016 but I suspect it has the same nav system as the 2015 so I looked for MY15. There is nothing at the site newer than the 2015/2016 map, which I believe is the one that came with my 3.6 last October. The vast majority of the updates are for the MY13 for the other Subaru models.

#22 ·
I'm trying to decide if I care about updating my NAV database. I pretty much only ever use it when I'm somewhere I need NAV with no cell phone reception. That doesn't happen very often. The speed limit display is mildly useful when I'm on an unfamilar road and didn't notice a speed limit sign.

#25 ·
FWIW, I really like having the nav system, but I also use Google maps on my phone.

However, recent experience: I was looking for a rather obscure address (for UPS Store) in town where I live. I knew I was close, but the area had a number of small malls where things can hide well. I tried to find the POI on my nav system (while parked I might add) for UPS but didn't get any hits. This may be due to not using the POI search very much, or UPS isn't in the data. Regardless, I used my phone and found the UPS store, kicked in a route, then tried driving there (within four blocks, but sandwiched between buildings) balancing the phone while trying to drive in heavy city traffic.

Point: I was stupid to drive like that, both systems are useful, if you don't use either very much you are self-limiting their usefulness.

#29 ·
There aren't any new updates. I received an email reply from Here (supplier of the maps) in Orem UT saying there are no updates pending and that they apparently know nothing about the free updates from Subaru.

Yet another classic CF. I have another email in to SoA and will see what they say.

#37 ·
I've tried just about everything to backup my SD card using their tool, Windows 7,8.1,10 as well s 4 different card readers over 3 phyical systems, nothing finishes. Some got further than others, got to 97% once, but it simply does not work. I made an exact sector by sector backup of the card as a fall-back, but would be nice if their tool actually worked.

ERIC

#42 ·
I was told that the dealer will apply any known navigation updates when you bring it in for service for the first 3 years.

#44 ·
I downloaded and successfully installed the 2016/2017 map update tonight. Download took about 30 minutes on a 60mb line, and installation to the microSD took about 15 minutes. Installed and checked in the car. The download was free and showed up as soon as I logged into Toolbox with my SD card.

Note, only the Toolbox download seems to be working. The HERE/Subaru website lists the download for free but does nothing. At least in my case.

#45 ·
I downloaded and successfully installed the 2016/2017 map update tonight. Download took about 30 minutes on a 60mb line, and installation to the microSD took about 15 minutes. Installed and checked in the car.

Note, only the Toolbox download seems to be working. The HERE/Subaru website lists the download for free but does nothing. At least in my case.
What's the date on the update? My 2017 Outback has a January 2016 date on the Nav. Did you buy the update? i understand three updates are free.

#46 ·
The version shown on download was 2016/2017. If there's a date shown on the nav I don't know where that is offhand.

Yea, missed saying it was free, I'll add that to my post. As soon as I logged in with Toolbox the update showed up and asked if I wanted to download. Nothing about cost.

#47 ·
I think I found the nav date and the company that actually produced it by digging deeper into the settings. At least i assume that was the nav date. May have been some sort of hardware date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.