Subaru Outback Forums banner

Remote Starter for 2017 Outback

26K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  OBnube 
#1 ·
I've been looking to get a remote starter for my 2017 Outback Premium. I'd prefer to be able to keep the engine running and have a few more features like better range, and I've read that aftermarket options like Viper can do all that.

However, I talked to Viper support, and they said their systems haven't been validated for 2016 & 2017 models. They said 2016 probably wouldn't be done until November, and didn't have a guess for 2017. I talked to a local preferred dealer and they confirmed they don't have the instructions for 2016 & 2017. Has anyone gotten a Viper for a 2016 or 2017? Would the install be any different than 2015? Or should I be looking at something else?

Also, would I have to give up the valet key for an aftermarket starter? Most of the thread I found were old or talking about keyless Limited models, so it was unclear if the latest systems would require the valet key.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have keyless access in my 2016 and previously my 2015. I had the viper system installed in both. You have to unlock the car with the viper fob in order to enter the car though. Also, at least on mine, the hatch will open from the factory fob after install, but if I don't unlock it with the Viper fob first, it sets off the alarm. That's why I leave mine in valet mode to prevent that from happening. The range is ok, but I am considering smartstart because it's definitely not what I had envisioned based on the claims. I couldn't start my car from 0.1 mi. away with it when leaving a hockey game one night. I actually looked up the distance to where I parked after the fact because this was a big reason I bought this system.

#5 ·
Did the installer say anything about the installation on the 2016? Did they just follow the procedure for the 2017?

Viper site shows that you can get a remote starter for 2016 outbacks. I assume the installation would be the same for 2017s.
Yeah, that's what I thought was strange. 2016 is on their site, but the person I talked to at customer service said it doesn't have final validation yet. I brought that up with the preferred dealer near me and he actually looked it up in their system. He confirmed there was no installation guide available to them even for the 2016.:confused:

they may be different. the part numbers are different for 2016 and 2017 remote start packages, H001SAL800 and H001SAL100, respectively.
Yeah, I was hoping that was just due to the new remote with the increased 400ft range.

#3 ·
Viper site shows that you can get a remote starter for 2016 outbacks. I assume the installation would be the same for 2017s.

I had a viper 4205V system in my previous car and it had amazing range. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I've put the Idatastart in my 2016 Outback "The iDataStart HC2351AC is the ultimate solution for maximum control and 2-way responsiveness from up to 3,000 feet." My wife let the Subaru salesman talk her into the Subbie remote start which would only start the car when it was warm out.So we went to the install shop which put in the remote-start in my short lived 2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD.It works great unlocks all the doors and opens the hatch as well as starts my Outback winter or summer from the warehouse where I work. iDatastart - The Art Of Start - Products BigD

#7 ·
Do you guys know if the factory accessory remote starter still cuts the engine off as soon as you open the door? I would find it perplexing considering that remote starters have been around on every brand for a while and none of the other cars with factory setups do that.

#8 ·
According to the latest installation manuals I could find, they all still do. It's actually part of the test procedure to ensure it stops when the door is opened.

I've put the Idatastart in my 2016 Outback "The iDataStart HC2351AC is the ultimate solution for maximum control and 2-way responsiveness from up to 3,000 feet." My wife let the Subaru salesman talk her into the Subbie remote start which would only start the car when it was warm out.So we went to the install shop which put in the remote-start in my short lived 2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD.It works great unlocks all the doors and opens the hatch as well as starts my Outback winter or summer from the warehouse where I work. iDatastart - The Art Of Start - Products BigD
Interesting, thanks! Only problem is the only local installer is best buy, and I don't know if I want best buy monkeys messing with my car. Maybe I'll look into how difficult self install is.

#9 ·
"Do you guys know if the factory accessory remote starter still cuts the engine off as soon as you open the door? I would find it perplexing considering that remote starters have been around on every brand for a while and none of the other cars with factory setups do that."

My installer has the Idatastart not shut the engine off when opening the doors and he can set how long it runs for. Default is 15 minutes.It also doesn't need extra modules like the Viper I had before. Plus the 2 way tells me the vehicle is running.Just look for a good installer with positive reviews .

#13 ·
My main (only) problem with it shutting off is the extra cycles that it puts on the starter unnecessarily. The biggest factor that pushed me away from the factory starter was the fact that it's range is so low. (according to most here) Ultimately, IMO, going either factory or aftermarket are both a series of compromises. If subaru integrated their remote start in with starlink it would give me a reason to buy it. It would take the main compromise I had issue with in the factory remote start.

#16 ·
My wife and I have owned 5 Subaru's together so far and we opted for different cars last time. Today I decided to get some test drives in as we are looking at cars again. Tested out the 2016 Legacy 3.6R and Outback 2.5 Limited to get a sense of engines etc. The key annoyance with my wifes Mazda is the huge remote starter fob that comes with it, and my Honda Accor Touring has remote start integrated into the one fob.

So why is it Subaru can't integrate theirs into a single fob that you can buy OR include remote start with the models that have push button start. Aftermarket isn't the option I wanted to go especially if you have to keep the Subaru fob on your key ring in addition to the aftermarket one. Even if I opted for Subaru I would need to have two fobs as well plus my wifes key fob, which I guess I would opt not to keep on hand.

I did look at iDatastart and it looks good, but a) needs some installer history, b) need to get a better sense of its features and integration with Subaru, and I too hate the open door, car turns off routine that Subaru does like the Mazda does. However my Honda doesn't, so long as you put your foot on the brake before pushing the start button you are ok to open the door.

Starlink telematics should be more integrated into the car or are they concerned with hacking?

#19 ·
Having to restart the car after opening the door not only ticked me off, but also my wife and you don't want to tick your wife off. :) Never even thought of extra wear on the starter which is probably negligible. After all, a lot of car's and trucks are now coming with stop start.

I replaced the OEM with a Viper and I love it. I start the car and unlock the doors with my Pebble watch. I don't even carry the Viper fob with me.

#20 ·
I noticed Viper has a nice apple watch app as well for lock/unlock arm/disarm which would be nice so I wouldn't have to get my phone or keys out to unlock the car. But if you did use the factory key fob to lock the car its not using the viper system, so the issue is you always have to use that to lock/unlock etc. Mazda offers a decent (not awesome) remote start package that you can use a smartphone app to turn on/off and lock/unlock. Its nearly 2017 and car makers are still not integrating the level of technology they can especially for the price they are charging. My OB configured is $41,418 with all of the accessories on it. For that price point, ventilated seats should be included in the Touring, maybe in 6-8 years.

Reactions: 1454
#21 ·
Unfortunately, subaru has always been behind times. They were the last to incorporate dual zone climate control, and memory seats. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't even think our cars offered memory seats until this generation.

#24 ·
2017 outback remote start

just had a remote start installed on a 2017 outback from the factory and when started with the remote start the automatic climate control does not allow the vehicle to heat up past 63 degrees then when started with the key all is normal anyone have this happen

#26 ·
Im sure its on this forum somewhere but I cant seem to find it. Have a 17 outback limited with the factory installed remote start. While i appreciate the range increase, i do not need it and do not want to carry the second fob. Is there a way to use the main keyfob for the remote start or is the only option to use the dedicated remote start fob?
Thanks

#28 ·
Hey all,

To those who have had the dealership install the remote start unit, where has your shop placed the receiver for the unit? I'm referring to the small unit with the antenna that goes somewhere on the front windshield. I'm curious to know where that spot is for those that have had it done recently, probably the longer range 2017.

Thanks,
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.