Subaru Outback Forums banner

Sad tale for 2015 Outback Map Update

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  toysbyus 
#1 ·
Well, so far I've tried the Here site, the Subaru site, and downloaded the Toolbox app, but no luck. I've contacted Subaru of America customer service who cannot offer any help with the app. They suggested I call my dealer for the update. I did, and the dealer first said that there is no update. I told them about my calls to SoA, spoke to their customer service rep, who said I could bring in the car for a "diagnostic." I told her I don't need a diagnostic, I just want to update my maps. They don't know of any update, and don't have any update available. I contact SoA again with all this wonderful information, but so far no reply.Very disappointing, so say the least!

FWIW, on all three computers, one Mac, one Windows 10, and one Windows 7, the results are identical: the PC recognizes the card, but the Toolbox app reports an error and just does nothing. The problem, I believe, is the app or the card itself, not the PC.

Has anyone with a 2015 outback successfully updated their maps? If so, how?

#4 ·
Thanks to Dave and Rich. I had registered, but did not know about the Gen 2 Toolbox, and, apparently, neither does SoA customer support! I downloaded it and installed it, and the map update is downloading as I type.

Still surprised the I wasn't pointed in that direction by SoA.

#6 ·
So for 2015 cars, they require a $54- charge to download.........which is fine. Just want to be sure that someone else with a 2015 Outback was able to successfully install the update and, as importantly, that the new data actually works and doesn't wreck the functionality of the NAV.

The concern that I have is that installing the update on the original SD card overwrites the OEM software........so, if there's trouble with the new version, you can't step back!

Anyone confirm that the install went well?

Steve

#7 ·
Also, any update from someone who has completed the upgrade on a 2015 Outback. My current system shows the maps as 2013.Q3 so an upgrade to 2015.Q3 would be good. Now the debate about Q3 2015 map being released in Q3 2016 should not be mentioned...I'm sure google and apple are still updating to 2014 or so...

#8 ·
performed successful upgrade on 2015 OB

I just finished my map upgrade. It actually went smoothly from start to finish. I was a bit perplexed once I inserted the overwritten SD card into the headunit and discovered that my map info states 3Q 2014 ( I did NOT look at it prior to upgrade). However, drilling down through the menus I notice that installed maps show to be 3Q 2015 (2016/2017 release). So I feel it is upgraded now. Again, I didn't have any issues. I did have to initially install the GEN2 version of Subaru Toolbox. I do agree with others that this update should have been free (but I am not going to complain other than say that if Subaru is going to push safety then that should also include more current map updates). When all is said and done I still hook up my trusty Garmin and use that instead - I get constant updates on it.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Here in Utah...
If you sell the car in Utah the Nav. System should accommodate the local address system? Wrong! Then they tell me I need to pay for any map updates or upgrades. That's like buying a Cow and then you still have to pay for the milk? I should have nixed the Subaru Nav. System and bought a Garmin Dash Top with free life time Map Upgrades?
Yeah, right, car companies are going to custom make cars for each state. Doh.

And, if you had read the other threads on this same subject, you would have found that HERE maps provides the map data, not Subaru. And HERE Maps is based in.....wait for it.....UTAH!

#10 ·
Update: I downloaded the Gen2 Toolbox on my Mac, which is running El Capitan, and the update failed as the computer lost communication with the card when it tried to write. The card appeared on the desktop, and could be opened, but as soon as the writing began, it failed. I downloaded it to a Win 7 PC and it worked fine.

#12 ·
No, not 'dozens', just two. And reading and searching the forum is considered proper etiquette. Now or course, there are 3 or 4 because nobody bothers to read what's going on with the forum, they just start another thread for the same topic.

And yes, it was your error, but that's another topic, eh?

#19 ·
Ha ha ha.........I guess I'll try the update as soon as I get a chance and see what, if anything, happens..........fingers and toes crossed! I have to pick up one of the micro SD card readers so I connect to the computer.

Is there a specified process to upload to the HU? Does it do the install automatically or does an "install" screen pop up?

Thanks, guys!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.