Subaru Outback Forums banner

Common problems in '16 Outbacks with EyeSight

16K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Skydaver 
#1 · (Edited)
My Outback has met the lemon law requirements in my state, and Subaru of America has offered me the option of refund, replacement, or $4000 settlement.

Specifically, my car was in the shop for 20 business days over two issues, and after I notified SoA, 15 more calendar days before it was fixed. That's one of the criteria under the North Carolina Motor Vehicle Act. The two issues were the steering column recall (10 work days), then 7 DTCs that took a month to fix.

I'm leaning, strongly, towards replacement, as the Outback is the car I liked best in this class. Before I decide for certain, I'm trying to find out the biggest problem areas that have cropped up in the 5th generation Outbacks.

Part of the reason my particular car meets the lemon law criteria was a lengthy repair involving 7 DTCs that hit at once.

What problems have you encountered in your 5thGen Outbacks that needed a warranty fix?

Many thanks!

#2 ·
What problems have you encountered in your 5thGen Outbacks that needed a warranty fix?
2015 Legacy (18 months, ~21,000 miles) and 2016 Outback (5 months, ~5,000 miles), both with EyeSight: Exactly zero problems.

#3 ·
I am also interested in other's opinion. What would you do?

Refund (then I need to shop for a new car, and there's little or nothing in this price point I like as much as the Outback)
Replace (but there are no similar cars on the lot; I'll have to wait. I can do that ... I just need to avoid wrecking it :) )
Settlement of $4000, and keep this one. (which will probably have me second guessing myself, esp. if I have another warranty repair.)

#4 ·
Gas Man,

As part of my normal life, I do mediations for people that involve contractual disputes. If you were in a private caucus with me I'd suggest that:

1. You like the brand and would have been quite happy to keep your Sub if it hadn't gone t!ts up on you. There's value in the car for you because it meets your needs.

2. A $4k refund will probably be appropriate for your car however part of any purchase is having peace of mind with your car and there will always be a nagging little voice in your head that says, "Is today the day that the next thing goes wrong?" SOA is genuinely stepping up to the plate to make you a satisfied customer. For them it's about upholding the brand and they've offered to do that with a variety of options. If they are giving you a full refund without a deduction for mileage, they can't do much more than that. They could pay for any accessories but that's about it. In other words, they have stepped up to the plate without much fuss or argument.

3. A 2017 OB has features unavailable on previous years. They are into their 3rd year of the run and the kinks are largely gone. Stuff happens but it's generally taken care of by now. These forums will have the occasional story of this and that but if you look at the trending, the cars are pretty solid by a large number of users. If there were repeated and unsolved problems you'd hear about it and you don't. Tests of new Subs, whether it's the Forester (this month's MT) or Outback are always positive.

4. Consider stepping up to the 3.6. It has about a year or two left before it reportedly gets replaced with something else. The 3.6 is like jeans and a T-shirt - fashion never goes out of style.

5. Don't focus on the issues that caused this to be a lemon but instead, look at how far you and SOA have come, through work, to get to a resolution. You're almost there and soon to be done with this.

6. I think you're drawn to the Subie and if by chance you take the refund and buy another brand, I'm positive that you'll have regrets whenver you see a similar one to yours on the road. The places you planned on taking that AWD vehicle, the safety and comfort uncommonly found in other cars and the value you would be leaving with something else.

#6 ·
@Rub

I truly appreciate your thoughtful response.

There is a mileage deduction on the refund option, and that was already my last choice. I do want an Outback.

I just got SoA's response today (in fact, I was out on the golf course and didn't see it until I was done) and don't know the details of the replacement process.

The replacement offer says:
"We can offer a like model replacement vehicle (brand new vehicle, based on availability at the local authorized Subaru retailer). If you decide to upgrade or change models you would be responsible for any upgrade charges or increase in price."

Right now, I can't find a Crystal White with cloth seats, and the option package I have. I don't know how that affects me if I choose the replacement offer. I'll be finding that out tomorrow. I might call the CSR that sent the offer, and find those details out (after I speak to a lemon law lawyer.)
I'm sure the dealer has a better tool for tracking one down. I don't care which color seats it comes with, and I'd even go for the Wilderness Green, but no other color interests me.

Given that the 3.6 is nearly $6000 more, and has leather seats (I don't like them, the wife dislikes them intensely, and the dog slips around on them) I don't think I'll go for that. Ditto for the Limited, as it's 4-6K more (the online builder app makes it tough to do a good comparison.)

A couple of phone calls tomorrow, and I think I'll be able to make an acceptable decision.

I certainly do appreciate that SoA came back with the offer fairly quickly after I made the lemon law claim.

#7 ·
I don't have any background in having a car replaced by the manufacturer so I'm assuming if you paid cash you get the new one free and clear. If you financed you would owe on the new car the same as the balance on your current OB? If you do decide to take the new one and you have a loan are the new loan offers from Subaru better than your current loan? It could save you a few bucks you might not get with another brand. Since you have paid down the loan a bit you might be able to swing a shorter loan at 0%.

I just traded in a '13 that was on it's third tranny and needed a short block replacement @ 30k miles. I got no factory help and I traded up without even blinking. All car companies build a mess now and again. You obviously liked it enough to buy one......go grab a good one.

#8 ·
@OBnube
I paid cash for mine. The issue of loans & leases is addressed in our law, but I can't remember it, since it didn't apply to me.

I'm still very strongly leaning toward replacement; I'm just going to have to find out exactly what SoA means by ""We can offer a like model replacement vehicle (brand new vehicle, based on availability at the local authorized Subaru retailer). "

Does that mean color, too? Mine is white with black interior. I'd also take white with tan interior, and would consider the Wilderness Green (my wife's choice, even though this is my car). How far can the dealer reach out to find a like model? Can the dealer put in a go to the front of the line order to make a like model replacement?

These are all things I'll try to find out tomorrow. I have until August 31 to decide what to do.

#10 ·
SOA will work with you. Once they made the offer they want to wrap this up ASAP. The reason is because their daily damages are increasing and they want this done with. If you were to order an identical twin, SOA does want to pay you 8 weeks of rental damages while the car is made. They might but doubtful.

Ask for accessories that are unique to the car that can't be used on a new car, if any. Remember this is a negotiation and not pure litigation so SOA, like you, can make concessions not purely addressed in the law.

#11 ·
A like model means whatever the current version of your model is with the same or equivalent features. It doesn't mean color. I'd guess the dealership would let you choose the color combination you prefer. Don't offer to pay the MSRP difference, or any difference, unless you choose an upgraded model.

Good luck!

#13 ·
My Outback has met the lemon law requirements in my state, and Subaru of America has offered me the option of refund, replacement, or $4000 settlement.

I'm leaning, strongly, towards replacement, as the Outback is the car I liked best in this class. Before I decide for certain, I'm trying to find out the biggest problem areas that have cropped up in the 5th generation Outbacks.

Part of the reason my particular car meets the lemon law criteria was a lengthy repair involving 7 DTCs that hit at once.

Many thanks!
A plastic cowling under the wipers not installed properly at the factory, replaced under warranty.
The steering wheel speed controls unit became sporadic in how it worked, replaced under warranty.

I have made several custom upgrades to my OB Premium that I would want moved to the new OB if it ever hit the lemon law. Luckily, I have not been out of a car more than 2 days during my first year of ownership.

If it were me, I would take the new replacement provided they would transfer or cover cost of transferring the customizations I had done (if any).

#16 ·
This is a personal problem, and I recognize it. My problem with the settlement, despite the nice chunk of change, is that I'd always be wondering when the next problem would happen, and when it did, I'd be annoyed that I didn't go with the replacement.

I already had the extended warranty

#15 ·
I'm waiting for an email or call from SoA. My local dealer says he can find a 17 that matches my 16, in white/black, white/cream or green/cream. My attorney tells me that a model year upgrade is at no cost in these situations.

I just need to get the settlement letter now.

Luckily, the only customization I might lose is a MkV diving helmet sticker from the back window :)

#18 ·
36000kms on mine and Eyesight has been great so far. It does shut down when in heavy rain with lots of road spray but I can't see far enough to keep traveling at highway speed so I wouldn't expect Eyesight to be able to. Only once has it done something unexpected with the lane centering in a construction zone, it interpreted one of the old painted lines as the actual lane and tried to nudge the car to follow it, no problem just steering where I knew the lane was.

#20 ·
never had a '16 I had a '14 limited black but the wife wanted a white pearl, so we just traded for a '17 in white pearl,and I can't compare it to a '16 but the '17 is way better in ride,comfort,and style over the '14 year model even though we never had any trouble with the 2014. Personally I would take the replacement, at no cost, and the standard equipment on the 17's include more that use to be optional.

#23 ·
@papajam

I don't think I've subconsciously rejected the cash settlement, I have outright rejected it :)

I know how we think, and it is just not an option for us.

I agree completely that this particular car could be fine from now on.

I appreciate everyone's comments on this. I've responded to SoA with a few questions about the replacement option, and sent them the documentation they need to do the replacement. I hope to hear from them today.

#24 ·
OP has lemon’d the car, so he goes on a long drive with the family driving a lemon (?). YMMV, this is a car I no longer trust, so no one in my household gets to drive it = cash settlement would not be my option.
So far from what's been elaborated, I would take the replacement.

I just received a favorable check from State Farm on a 07-28 hailstorm. I have no intent to gain first on the funds, I don’t see that as the purpose of a settlement/insurance.

#25 ·
‘… based on availability at the local authorized Subaru retailer.’

As it reads/appears, that would be from inventory. What is ‘local’, in-State or x-miles radius?
I have not seen int/ext color as an add-option, so that should conform to like-replacement. Some options/features might have become std, while/if it may cost more it may also be eligible at no additional cost. But it may also be if you pick a lower cost car, you may not get a rebate – it depends on the allowance.

#26 ·
Right now, we're just guessing :) I've responded to SoA, and asked those questions, but they have not come back yet.
My local dealer tells me he can get what I want with little problem.

I'm certainly not looking to downgrade any of the options packages I had, so that won't be an issue.

#27 ·
'15 2.5i. Almost 23,000 miles. My rear sensors (blind spot and rear traffic detection) failed and were replaced under warranty. Other than that, an occasional electronic gremlin that has appeared and gone away without service. The other day my hatch wouldn't open when hitting the rubber button above the license plate. At the same time, one of my rear doors didn't unlock with the others and my stereo tone controls all returned to flat. The tone control thing happens frequently (on the same source material, typically my ipod). The sensors have been the only repair in a year and a half of ownership.

#29 ·
SoA called me today, and they've contacted my local dealer. Next car in the pipeline that meets my specs is mine, although it could take a while. The 'based on availability at local dealer' isn't an impediment. When the car comes in, a third party repurchase vendor, the dealer, and I sit down. I sign the car over to the third party vendor, they (or SoA) pays the dealer for the new car, and off I go.

At least, that's how I think it will work :)

#33 ·
SoA called me today, and they've contacted my local dealer. Next car in the pipeline that meets my specs is mine, although it could take a while.
Skydaver, I think you have chosen wisely. Of the three options you described, I would have chosen the replacement option as well. In the meantime, I will thank the auto gods once more for having 19,000 miles and 18 months on my 3.6 OB without any problems whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.