Subaru Outback Forums banner

2017 Engine noise

11K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  KSKarl 
#1 ·
It seems that now that i have 1,100 or so miles on my 2017 Limited 2.5 I have noticed the engine seem noisier upon starting and moving from a stop. Not sure if it is getting noisier or I just noticed it. A search noted some 2015 OB had complaints. However not much on the 2016s.

Perhaps I am expecting too much or just need to get used to it. It sounds much different than any other 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines I have owned.

#2 ·
Just the way it is. I think more firewall insulation could have been used, but you'll get over it. Too late now, right?. Soon to be followed by how wonderful the 3.6 is and there we go again. Still love my 2.5.

#3 ·
Kind of agree I will get used to it. I think it is more the sound is "different" as I have never driven a flat 4 before this car.

#5 ·
The engines clatter and rattle and growl and make all kinds of noises you won't hear anywhere else.

I don't know how cold it gets in Kentucky, or if you keep your OB outdoors, but whatever you're hearing now on startup is nothing compared to what we here in the mountains hear on a below-zero morning.

For the first few minutes they can sound like somebody is kicking a trashcan full of nuts and bolts down the street, I kid you not.

All that said, they run great, and with proper care they run great for a long, long time.

#6 ·
Thanks, I think. Wish I could laugh. :) I have wondered about cold weather. It gets below zero here in central KY. My vehicles are kept in an unheated garage. BTW, my 238,000 mile BMW has it's own funny valve chatter noises in the winter when cold.

#11 ·
What you heard were the maneuvering thrusters powering up so you can blow away the competition like lint.
When she first got in OBWAN Red, and saw all gadget and gizmos, my wife turned to me and said, "Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!"

#13 ·
This is all puzzling to me - I think my Outback is one of the quietest engines I've ever had (however my last two cars were diesel and I also ride a motorcycle :) )

To test I measured the SPL in the cabin today - with nothing running, 27 dB(A), with engine idling and air con fan on low - 41 dB(A). That seems pretty quiet to me.

Once on the road the major contributor to noise is tyres/road, unless accelerating hard when there is noticeable induction roar.

#14 ·
Thanks for the response, Just to be clear. I notice it on acceleration from a stop mostly. Some while moderately accelerating while moving. Just seem louder that it should to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.