Subaru Outback Forums banner

Tried outbacks/foresters yesterday...

4K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  colorider 
#1 ·
My wife and I drove the Outback 2.5 touring, 3.6r without eyesight/nav, Forester touring yesterday. We came to nearly the same conclusion. The Forester seemed rougher riding and less finished. We adored the power of the 3.6r, but none of the models on the lot had the nav. We were told that the 2.5 had the same towing capacity as the 3.6r, so for the mileage and little need of excessive towing we are going to get the 2.5 touring. Am I missing something obvious that seasoned Subaru folks could add.

This will be our 4th Subaru since 2005. I've had a 2003 base Outback from 2005-2014. My wife has a 2013 BRZ. My 2014 XV Crosstrek was totaled over a month ago when I was rear ended. We have two dealers to $34000, and now all we need to do is settle on a price for our 1999 Mustang Cobra convertible w/ 83k miles.

By the way the model we're getting is lapis blue with the saddle interior.

#15 ·
2.5 is 2700 lbs and the 3.6 is 3000 lbs. But you are correct, it isn't the same. If one is going to be towing pretty consistently, I would probably opt for the 3.6 because it has a beefier high torque CVT. It's not to say the 2.5 can't hold it's own, I would just feel more comfortable with something that is built stronger if I am going to put it under that kind of strain. Just my 0.02. If you aren't towing, go with the 2.5.

#32 ·
Noticed later in this thread you decided on the 2.5 Touring. Congrats and I think you will be very happy with it. We traded a '15 Limted for our '17 Touring and couldn't be happier. Our '15 was pretty basic (no Eyesight, etc) and we have come to really like it along with a few other creature comforts we did not have in the '15.

We DO have the same rattle somewhere near the center of the dash as the '15, but overall the '17 seems quieter and more comfortable, although I'm sure the seats, etc are virtually the same. Our mileage thus far seems to be off from what our '15 did at the same mileage. Hopefully that will improve as we get more miles on the car (presently about 2,600).

Good luck!

#14 · (Edited)
I've read somewhere on Cnet that the AWD system is slightly different on the 3.6R
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/not-every-subaru-all-wheel-drive-system-is-created-equal/
This may have been the older 3.6R modles. Subaru marketing material for the 2015 and upwards describe the AWD system with active torque distribution for all models with the lineartronic CVT except the WRX. So 2.5i and 3.6R have the same AWD system.
The WRX with CVT has the Variable Torque Distribution AWD.

#20 ·
Seems your debating the same things I did.
I came down to two vehicles the OB (Forester I was not interested in, too boxy) and another I will not mention (skip protecting the innocent, I'm protecting me from getting yelled at, LOL).

The OB has just a bit less towing capacity, but a bigger motor (talking the 2.5). Torque is the same, but the other was 1 liter less in engine size.. That means drive train takes a beating (and to get there, less in overall MGP).

My utility trailer is 1/2 ton capacity. The OB can handle that not issue.
The sailboat, watered down (as she is when I pull her out) is all of a ton. Still with in range.
Drain her down, as I do, easy to tow.
Maybe 1500 (semi-wet).. I also don't go far.

If your looking to tow something bigger or longer distance (here I go and about to get yelled at), look elsewhere, like a truck.

I like my choice in the OB!
A wonderful over-all vehicle that tows what I need it to.

Side note: The other vehicle was only $400 less and lacked many items the OB came with.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your choice!

#21 ·
If towing capacity is a major concern or you are looking to tow anything of any significance regularly, at distance or up and over hills/passes, etc. look elsewhere and as someone else has mentioned get a truck. Because of the CVT the 3.6R has the same tow rating, so any increase in power over the 2.5i is negated when you're towing since they actually are both rated the same (despite what others have said in the thread). Came back to Subaru from a Tacoma Sport 4x4 and thought I'd regret it, but in reality I never really towed that much, or often enough to warrant owning a truck and the giant hit in loss of fuel efficiency. Trucks are nice, but for me more of a PITA as a daily driver. Was more about finding the vehicle to suit my particular needs the best which is why I went to a '17 OB 2.5i Limited.

#22 ·
Again with the misinformation. Until this specific model year there was a difference in tow rating. The 3.6 has the hi-torque CVT that is the same as in the WRX, as compared to the 2.5. It wasn't until this specific model year that they decreased the tow rating of the 3.6. 2017 Outback specs, options, colors, prices, photos, and more

"(Note:..for the 2017 model, the 3.6L's maximum towing weight has been dropped from 3000 to 2700 pounds. It was 3000 pounds on the 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012 3.6L models... )"

Moreover, the tow rating elsewhere is 3960 lbs. So it makes sense that, as Gene stated, this has to do with EPA ratings over what the car can actually handle.
Knowing Your Towing | Subaru Australia

But hey, just get a Tacoma, it's the most capable vehicle on the road.

#26 ·
I had the same thought when I test drove the Forester and OB 2.5/3.6 and came to the conclusion that OB was much more refined and smooth on the road. I wanted a 6 cylinder, so ended up with a 3.6r; and both 3.6r and 2.5 have the same towing capacity for 2017. Trim to Trim, the 3.6r costs about 3K more than the 2.5 + there is the MPG difference of about 5. So if you dont need the higher power of 3.6r, 2.5 may be a better choice.

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for the comments. We chose the Outback Touring 2.5 today. We talked about a small trailer to tow, but we'll suffice with staying in hotels. On rare occasions I can stay in the Outback myself. We will be traveling much more in the future, so the extra gas mileage works better. These thoughts were exactly what I thought about my XV Crosstrek right up until the moment I was rear ended, so I'm hoping to get more than 17,000 out of this one.

#28 ·
I just got a '14 similar blue/saddle Outback 2.5 limited. Its a nice ride, not fast, but in some ways its deceptive as the engine doesn't run through gears like I'm used to. MPG is very good especially on highway. I also drove the Forester and it was a tincan feel (sorry if I offend anyone) very light driving, noisy and the interior was not modern looking at all. But it had room and a good drivetrain. But the outback is pretty darn good and we needed awd for going up mountains for snow sports, and that was more priority than some other vehicle with a less capable awd. I think you'll be pretty happy, and if you change your mind its good to know resale is amazing. Enjoy!!

#29 ·
I must be driving different vehicles.

I have a '15 OB. My wife had a '14 Forester. My OB was definitely more refined than her '14 Forester. Last month she moved to a '17 Forester.

The '17 Forester is every bit as nice as my OB. Heck, half the interior parts look to be the same. Steering wheel, dash components, etc.

The big differences are the seating position and a slight difference in ride due to the shorter wheelbase of the Forester.

As far as towing goes. If I had any need for towing I would not own either. There are way better choices in the marketplace.

Reactions: Rich in NEPA
#31 ·
Agree, Forester was improved for mid-cycle refresh starting 2016 and even more in the 2017, and NVH control now seems very good. YMMV but for me now a viable option, in XT form, to a 3.6 OB.

Can't bring myself to buy one, however, since the current Forester has only one MY left, and will then be replaced by the new global platform. The new one will utterly obsolete the current model IMO. Leasing a 2018 would be an option, and a 3 yr lease would run out in the 2nd year of the gen 6 OB., enough time to let them have the bugs worked out. :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.