Subaru Outback Forums banner

Access Key Not Detected

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  AimoPaukku 
#1 · (Edited)
Access Key Not Detected - NOW SOLVED!

I have a new headunit in my 2015 OB now - there is a separate thread covering the headunit - http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...1-aftermarket-headunits-finally-incoming.html
Today I removed the headunit, pulled apart the dash and centre console to install a USB panel in the centre cubby hole, in place of the standard USBs. Major job, but all put back together OK.
Headunit is working. I have removed and reinstalled the new HU quite a few times before this, without any problems.

PROBLEM:
Now when I try to start the engine I get "Access key not detected" on the centre display. Engine won't start. If I put the key fob on the start button and push the engine will start and I can drive around. Just keep getting the error message about the access key. I can lock and open the doors without pushing the fob buttons, so the fob is being detected for remote access. I can lock and open doors by pushing fob buttons.

What have I done??? And how do I fix it? Hope someone can help. It is now the weekend here, so can't contact the Subaru dealer.

See less See more
#2 ·
After posting my problem here I jumped in the shower......and had a thought! As you do.
The centre console has quite a few electrical connectors plugged into it. One could be a fob sensor, and I missed plugging it back in.
Today was the first time I have remove the centre console.
I'll check it out in the morning. Time for a few beers now!

#4 ·
My suggestion was going to be to check the console area to see if you left a prox antenna undone, as that's a common place for them to live.

#5 ·
Hi. I dont remember seeing those antennas in centerconsole near HU.
Try second fob at first, maybe it is just a battery...

Seems like this car two antennas on both front door handles.
AND three more antennas for immo unit and this is how it knows if key is inside.
Rear immo antenna is in rear trunk gate. R299
Center one near back seats. R298
And front one between gear shifter and parking brake switch.

You do something else near gear shifter?

You may have missed this one :1pat:
i71 Keyless access interior antenna (front)
It should be 3pin connector with two leads in it.
Pin 1 violet yellow
Pin 2 empty
Pin 3 white green

Attachments

#6 ·
Solved!!!

As suggested by a few people and guessed by myself, yes - I missed plugging in the fob sensor between the parking brake switch and the gear selector.
What a dill!
Luckily the panel in this area can be quickly lifted off - it just clips into place. A 5 minute fix.
Thanks for your suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.