Subaru Outback Forums banner

Passenger front seat belt problem 2017 OB

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Rico 
#1 ·
Having a problem with the passenger front seat belt wrapping around the horizontal adjustment handle low on the non power seat. This happens frequently. Took the OB to the Subaru dealer today. Service writer went out to look at it, saw the problem, sat in the car and tried to duplicate the issue. He could not. I sat in the same seat and could not duplicate the issue. When my wife sits in the seat, it happens frequently and when I am outside the car and pull the seat belt out, then let it go back, it happens. I feel it is a safety issue.
Service writer said I was "making" the seat belt get tangled by my pulling it out and letting it go back. The problem was all in my head, as he is pointing to his head. I say that is BS !
We have owned this car for 25 days. I am adjusting the inside adjustment on the "B" pillar, maybe that will help.
Anyone else have this type of problem or know of a solution that the dealer has done to fix this ?

#2 ·
IMO, it is you.
Seat belts are safety equipment. You shouldn't just let them go, but hang onto the buckle as it retracts. That will avoid your issue, and more importantly, help keep it from twisting at the B pillar, which will abrade the edges.

I'd no more let the seat belts retract freely than I would drag my parachute harness through the dirt.

#3 ·
... when I am outside the car and pull the seat belt out, then let it go back, it happens. I feel it is a safety issue.
Pardon me for being blunt, but you have two choices: You can wait forever for your Outback to adapt to you ... or you can adapt to the way it actually works and get on with your life.

Reactions: jsgntulok
#5 ·
Working the belt outside the car is invalid, that test is not the normal position to engage the belt (as the dealer/you demonstrated).
What is given is that you/dealer cannot change the position/geometry of the b-pillar, as respectfully alluded - you deal with it. The variables are the b-pillar adjuster, body mass, seat position and on/off method.

#6 ·
Well thanks for your input. Of all the 46 cars I have owned, only this one has done this. Figured if someone had the same problem, they could share what they did.
I adjusted the B pillar seat belt adjustment, maybe that will help. Adjust to the car, yes I am sure we all have to do this as the car will not adjust to us. The idea of hanging on to the buckle until it retracts is good. I will have to pay attention to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.