Subaru Outback Forums banner

DIY : 2015 (and newer) Navigation Mute Button

103K views 220 replies 87 participants last post by  ctfshjohn 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks to some folks at the Legacy forum I gathered enough information to attempt a DIY update to the head unit (TSB 15-205-16). This couldn't have come at a better time, since many of us can go on our holiday travels, have our GPS on, and not have Samantha or whatever other navigation voice you use interrupt our peaceful journey every few minutes.

Spoiler alert: I do have a navigation mute button on a May 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R! Haven't had a chance to play with any other settings, so I don't know if this update screws anything up.
UPDATE: After a few weeks everything seems to work fine - no noticeable lag, zero's in info section of HU, or any other problems.

Disclaimer: If you decide to attempt this update on your own, I am not responsible for any damage you do to your vehicle, including, but not limited to, dead head unit, blown head gaskets, and excessive oil leaks and worn out wheel bearings. If you are not comfortable doing it on your own, take it to your dealer.

You may want to write down radio presets and other HU settings that you applied - the last step of the update is to clear the memory, which clears all of these settings.

Step1: Download and study the TSB 15-205-16 document. I know, the host website name is a bit suspicious, but a 20 page PDF does indeed exist there. I found this link on a Legacy forum here.

Step 2: Download update files from here

Step 3: Format two flash drives (2 or 4 Gb) to FAT32, and extract the files you downloaded in step 2 onto your flash drives. (Alternatively, if you don't have a collection of flash drives, like me, you can update your HU with 1st file, go back to your computer, reformat the drive, extract 2nd file, and then update your HU with 2nd file).
Update: It has been reported that 8Gb and 16Gb USB drives also work. Just make sure that your drive is formatted correctly and that the extracted files are in root directory, not inside a folder. If they are inside a folder, the USB drive will not be recognized by HU.

Important note: When I extracted 2nd file to flash drive, it created a folder with three update files. At first, the HU didn't recognize this (basically, OK button in the first picture of TSB document on p.18 never turned black). I reformatted the drive, extracted the files in a local computer folder, and then moved them onto flash drive without creating any folders. That worked for me, and the drive was recognized within a few seconds.

Step4: Follow instructions in the TSB document that you downloaded in "Step1" to apply the updates. I didn't have the suggested battery charger and my battery held up just fine during the update, which lasted less than 30 minutes.
Update: It seems that for most people it takes two attempts to install second update. You can, and should check the firmware version after update to make sure that all components have updated successfully. For units with Navigation, an obvious sign that your update failed is disappearance of the compass and directions from the instrument cluster, as well as zero's or dashes in vehicle monitor section on the HU.

Very Important Note: Whatever happens, do NOT look at the installation progress bar! It has been proven over and over again that those bars are the most shy things to ever exist and will stop moving the instant you look at them.

I didn't include any screenshots because TSB document has very clear installation instructions with screenshots included.

Good luck!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I just had the dealer perform this update and they apparently messed it up (cluster display no longer shows compass and NAV info). According to the TSB, they didn't even use the most current version (why am I not surprised?). This is why I change my own oil, among other things. Careless idiots.

The TSB specifically says 4GB or smaller must be used.

#6 ·
So, I had the same problem as some have reported - no directions on instrument cluster, no compass, etc. During update I noticed that the second file completed rather quickly compared to the first, and skipped the last step of the update. I repeated the update procedure using second file only - this time it took its time updating, but all is good now. I have a working compass and directions in the instrument cluster, and all vehicle information on HU seems to be correct (I.e., mpg,oil temp, etc).
The HU seems a bit more responsive, too. And yes, I still have the mute button! Very happy with this update.

#7 ·
Okay, did the update earlier this evening and all seems well. Compass shows up on instrument cluster, oil temps report okay etc... Oh and mute button for navigation is present. I deviated from TSB for one potentially important step and I'm waiting to see if it bites me in the a$$, I pulled the USB from the socket when I shut the ACC off so the final install proceeded without the fob in the USB. At this point I'm thinking it's a non issue but will re-do if I encounter any weirdness.

#11 ·
Apparently, the 2017 OB has the update as I have a navigation mute button.

Reactions: Twindad
#13 ·
Did mine today (2015 model, purchased in March 2015), seemed to work fine. I did have to apply the 2nd one twice as the first time it didn't seem to take (the initial loading bar only filled once instead of the 2 or 3 times it should take).

It seems to be a bit more responsive and faster, though that might just be a placebo effect.

Thanks for posting this!

#15 ·
Files are still available for me. Perhaps it's restrictions on your browser?

Has anyone run this on the non-nav HK systems yet?

#21 ·
I ran the updates on my non-nav DA HU today. All went fine, though I had to run the second update twice. Good thing Subaru has us knuckleheads to do their beta-testing and debugging for them! And brick the HU, still a Subaru win for the dealer!

#22 ·
I did this yesterday, I also had to run the #2 update twice for it to take. It was easy but took about an hour and was pretty tedious due to the amount of babysitting required. IMO, if your dealer is close or you are planning to go in anyway, it's probably worth having them do it.

#28 ·
Did mine with Nav and got it working without issues. File #1 has to run two times for me (first one went really fast). File #2 worked on the first time (with 3 update files vs. just one with update #1). I did follow instructions with the memory reset and after restart all's working well. FYI: Nav's favorites and data do get lost; so be sure to back it up in case you need that info.

Side-note: I did not have 4GB thumb-drive and used 8GB I had and no issues with that aspect for me.

Thank you to the OP for posting the info/links. Glad I can do it without taking time off work to go to the dealer for this. :D

#30 ·
Can't wait to get my Outback back from the body shop to apply this update. Only more week with this Nissan POS. Definitely not suffering through another dealer experience for this one. Thanks again to the OP for posting this!

#41 ·
So I took my 15 in to the dealer today and when my wife brought it home the compass was missing data and the turn by turn did not go to the cluster as reported by others. I think this was the first car my dealer did as they told me they had to go buy USB drives??? At any rate any advice I can give them when I take it back in today to get it done right would be appreciated. It looks like update file #2 is the culprit?

#42 ·
It looks like update file #2 is the culprit?
Yep. Checking the revision level of all firmware modules, as specified in (and required by) the update instructions, will confirm this fact.

For reference, in my non-NAV 2015 Legacy the following firmware modules were updated:

• Nor (OU9005 -> OU9016)
  • eSD (OU9005 -> OU9016)
  • CAN (14.0012 -> 14.0015)
  • DB (OU9005 -> OU9016)
Note that all of the above modules but CAN should show the same revision code after a successful update. The exact revision codes will vary depending on model year (2015/2016) and NAV/non-NAV.

#47 ·
Thank you.... my wife stopped in today they couldn't seem ti understand what I was talking about when explaining the missing compass marks and navigation turns in the display.... so on my way back from a job site I swung by the dealer where my wife and kid were at. I showed him and then the light bulb went off. He took it back had 2 techs look at it then 20 minutes later came out and said we need it for a few hours..... Grrrrr oh well. I asked have they done the TSB before? He said no...... no one asks for it....
I wanted to do it myself but was worried as the car is under warranty that may not be a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.