Subaru Outback Forums banner

Rear brakes click/clack sounds

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  15'Outback 
#1 ·
I've had my 2015 model just over 2 years now and for the 6+ months I've been hearing a lot of click/clack sounds from the rear of the car when applying the foot brake shortly after moving off or changing from reverse to drive or vice versa. I'm wondering if something needs adjusted or greased or something. Has anyone else noticed this?

#3 ·
I'm wondering if something needs adjusted or greased or something. Has anyone else noticed this?
Clicks and clacks doesn't sound all that familiar. I assume you've had the brakes serviced (to eliminate that)? Removing the old lube and getting new lube on every year helps quiet them and extends the pad life.

To be clear, youmonly hear this when the car moves and you're applying the brakes?

#6 ·
Ah, if only Tom and Ray were still on the go, I'd give them a call.

These sounds have slowly become more evident over time, which is why I have lived with them thus far. Generally I do my own servicing but the last time I left the car in to the dealers for a recall I asked them to check it out. I didn't take the car in myself but I don't think they did. I have another recall to attend to so I'll push them again this time.

The sounds don't happen all the time. They only happen at slow speed when taking off from a stop after having had the parking brake on, or after moving off having first reversed and then changed to drive. I suspect something needs tightened/lubed and will do it once I have a clue what it might be.

#7 ·
I've got this problem on the front brakes on my 2015 Legacy, except it always happens when shifting directions; not just when using the parking break. Dealer told me this is normal, I know it is not.

PS. this thread came up when I was doing a google search on my issue; felt I'd comment even though I've got the Legacy. Identical mechanicals, for the most part.

#8 ·
I am not familiar with how the newer brake systems are set up. I would start by checking the parking brake. On my Subaru the parking brake is insde&behind the rear disks. literally a miniature drum set up inside the rotor. take off wheels, unmount caliper as a whole unit, pop off rotor. Check all the springs, the two tiny brake shoe retention springs is what I think broke.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.