Problem - continuous buzz, even with car off 2017 outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem - continuous buzz, even with car off 2017 outback

I got a new 2017 outback a few weeks ago to replace my 05. We had a snowstorm last night, this morning I used my dealer supplied remote to start the car, then went out to brush off the snow. When I got in the car, there was an electrical buzz or chime that was continuous. I started the car, buzz stayed on. Turned off car, buzz still on. Repeated that several times, even opened a window, turned off car, got out and locked it, and the buzz is still on. It is obviously trying to tell me something, but I don't know what. I have cleaned off the snow from the windshield, and I am not getting any warnings about Eyesight not working, but am clueless about the buzz, and am concerned that if it continues all day and night the battery will drain. Can't find anything in the manual. The closest I can find is the continuous chime when you leave the car in drive and open the door, but I did that, and it is a different sound. Any suggestions? Also brushed snow off the front and rear, thinking there was a sensor issue, still a constant buzz. Drove the car a block or two to see if some snow had gotten on a sensor, but still have a buzz. Totally out of ideas - other than to disconnect the battery - but not sure what I will have to do to reset things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
Take to dealer and let them figure it out.

Outbackroo likes this.

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 161,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 110,000 and counting.
Scangauge II. Plenty of battle scars. Fixing up the previous owner's neglect.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Actually, finally figured it, boy do I feel stupid. I disconnected battery, then reconnected, still got the beep. Then went back and disconnected the battery, and the sound stayed on - realized it was a battery operated recorder, the lever must have moved it was sounding for the end of the tape. The good news, even though the battery was disconnected for several seconds, I did not have to reprogram the radio settings or window auto up.
Outbackroo likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 PM

LOLZ. Reminds me of a story where a "friend" took his lagacy to the dealer to diagnose a thumping sound during hard braking. Dealer had interior halfway out when they found a baseball under the drivers seat.
Nonotuck likes this.

The best thing you can do is learn from someone else's mistakes. The worst thing you can do is not learn from your own.

2017 Outback 2.5i Touring
2011 Legacy 2.5i Premium
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Car: 2015 2.5i Limited Forester (3rd Subie)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvabeach View Post
still a constant buzz
Darn, thought you meant you'd bought your car in Colorado. That's a whole new meaning to Rocky Mountain High ...
Nonotuck and jhodges like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM

Car: Now: 2012 3.6 Limited; waiting for delivery of 2017 3.6 Touring
Smithsonian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryvabeach View Post
Actually, finally figured it, boy do I feel stupid. I disconnected battery, then reconnected, still got the beep. Then went back and disconnected the battery, and the sound stayed on - realized it was a battery operated recorder, the lever must have moved it was sounding for the end of the tape. The good news, even though the battery was disconnected for several seconds, I did not have to reprogram the radio settings or window auto up.
Funny story! I also haven't heard anyone refer to an actual real-life tape recorder in quite a while!
Outbackroo likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Car: 2017 Outback Limited 2.5i CVT with the works
This is like what happened to my wife this weekend. we had new windows installed and my wife claimed that one window was leaking air from outside, so to appease her I called the installer and had them come out yesterday to diagnose/fix the issue. they were super nice and the installer looked at the window agreed there was air leaking through and proceeded to latch the window and low and behold the air leak was fixed, only one of the 2 latches were locked. It happens to everyone at some time. LOL
Outbackroo likes this.

Johnny
2017 Outback Limited Crystal White Pearl
Ivory leather interior/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/ Eyesight package, pushbutton start, crystal black w/ black leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbino View Post
LOLZ. Reminds me of a story where a "friend" took his lagacy to the dealer to diagnose a thumping sound during hard braking. Dealer had interior halfway out when they found a baseball under the drivers seat.
My girlfriend did that in our Citroën Visa once, on the Autobahn to Berlin. She noticed a strange sound whenever she braked and accelerated, so she took the car to a mechanic. He drove it for 30 seconds, braked, grinned like a maniac, reached under the driver's seat, grabbed something...it was a Coke bottle that had been rolling back and forth.

Nice guy, didn't even charge her.
Outbackroo likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Car: 2017 Legacy Premium HAD
Not as loud as a bowling ball in the trunk.

A few years ago, a neighbor with a Camry was all worried about his car making an "irregular loud clunking noise" that sounded like it was coming from the rear suspension mostly when braking or turning.

He took me for a ride around the block and when we stopped I asked him to open the trunk. There was his bowling ball, that had slipped out of its bag and was rolling around freely.

Talk about a loud clunking noise...
Outbackroo and skipw like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue Metallic.
Garage
This reminds of when I took my Tahoe into my local Chevy dealer, for routine service, and since it was there, I had them check a rattling sound that was driving me crazy!! I had checked everything (or so I thought.), I took it to the dealer, and they found that a snow shovel I kept in the car, in the Winter, was rattling against the back seat. I had it stuck between the rear cargo area, and the back seat! Rattle gone!! LOL.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: