Quick thoughts after 3k miles - 2017 Touring 3.6R - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Touring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick thoughts after 3k miles - 2017 Touring 3.6R

I got my new OB before Thanksgiving and have been driving it around 1k miles per month, with mostly suburban commuting and a few road trips.

I had some early complaints with the XM radio and navigation not working consistently, but that seems to have settled down (note I stick to Waze on my iPhone). The stereo sound is just so-so. I listen to NPR mostly and that's ok, but I really struggle to hear music with as much punch and clarity as I'd like.

The car is really fun and easy to drive. I found a great setting for the seat that puts me up a little bit high, but with tilt back on the bottom part of the seat. It is a commanding view. The 3.6R engine is fun to drive, with good pep for passing on the highway and merging into fast traffic.

I have not really used the ACC enough, but mostly enjoy the Eyesight. Lane warnings around town are annoying. I know there is a way to turn it off, but I have not bothered with it. I was very happy to find the setting to turn off the beeping when the car locks/unlocks. Vast improvement.

Fuel economy has been about as I expected, in the 22-25 MPG range.

The heated seats and steering wheel are awesome on cold mornings.

I love the 19mm rear sway bar mod that I did about two months ago. The car handles so much better on quick turns and on ramps.

It's a beautiful car. I'm really happy with it.

Arathald, denvrfan, BOXR 6 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Touring, Lapis Blue Pearl
Looks like your experience was nearly identical to mine - same engine, trim, color, and the 19mm sway bar!

I'm not really an audiophile, but I've got the trained ear of a lifelong musician. I found that turning the bass down a couple of notches and the mids up by the same amount really helps the crispness of the audio system without losing that great low-end feel in songs that emphasize it.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R
rear liftgate operation

2017 Outback Touring 3.5R
Surprisingly quiet in the cabin given the level of engine noise when standing outside
That's the good. Now the rant
Damaged the paint on the rear lift gate first day. The gate lifted into the garage door before the memory was set.
OK, I made a note to get it fixed
2nd day, I go out to the garage, the gate is jammed against the lowered garage door. The fob button must have been pressed while in my pocket.
Now the bottom 2 inches of the lift gate are bent. Try to be more careful my wife says.
Week later. I drive in the garage, press the button by the steering wheel and the gate smacks the door again. More damage.
This time the memory switch has been turned off.
Press the lift gate switch, memory activated. Press it again, memory deactivated. The problem? It is very difficult to see which position the switches are in. Some have dash indicators this one has none that I could find.
Suggestion for Subaru: with all the sensors at the back of the car, would it be so hard to mount one in the rear lift gate to keep from hitting a ceiling. Or at least with the ones there, stop the gate from smacking a closed door or worse another vehicle parked too close.
So, if you come across an Outback with liftgate damage, please wave, but don't suggest to my wife "he should have set the memory first and taped over the switch". She already knows. ;-p

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 AM

I thought you have to not only press the lift gate button on the fob but hold it down for three seconds to prevent accidental presses as you are describing.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R
Couldn't tell you how long it was pressed
I only know when I opened the kitchen door to the garage, the liftgate was jammed against the main door
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
Sound much improved using USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathald View Post
Looks like your experience was nearly identical to mine - same engine, trim, color, and the 19mm sway bar!

I'm not really an audiophile, but I've got the trained ear of a lifelong musician. I found that turning the bass down a couple of notches and the mids up by the same amount really helps the crispness of the audio system without losing that great low-end feel in songs that emphasize it.
I like a really good audio system whether it be at home or in a car, and the "upgraded" system in our 2015 O/B drives me nuts. I listen to a lot of Sirius because who listens to radio anymore. I also listen to Pandora via my iPhone. I took a short trip earlier in the week and listened to music on a thumb drive. While on Sirius you hear so much out of the central dash speaker and mediocre audio at best, the tunes sound 100% better using my USB drive. I don't know why the difference is so pronounced on our Subaru vs. all of our other cars, but I just though I'd pass that along. The problem is I don't want to have to reload my USB drive all the time to keep the variety.

Ashford
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
2012 Honda Odyssey
'98 E320
'73.5 911T
'70 Triumph TR6
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/ Eyesight package, pushbutton start, crystal black w/ black leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralittle2 View Post
I like a really good audio system whether it be at home or in a car, and the "upgraded" system in our 2015 O/B drives me nuts. I listen to a lot of Sirius because who listens to radio anymore. I also listen to Pandora via my iPhone. I took a short trip earlier in the week and listened to music on a thumb drive. While on Sirius you hear so much out of the central dash speaker and mediocre audio at best, the tunes sound 100% better using my USB drive. I don't know why the difference is so pronounced on our Subaru vs. all of our other cars, but I just though I'd pass that along. The problem is I don't want to have to reload my USB drive all the time to keep the variety.
Even on an old transistor radio, Sirius sounds absolutely awful. All the programming is compressed until there's no life (or sonic fidelity) left in the sound. It's the equivalent of listening to MP3s that have been ripped at 32 or (at best) 64 Kbps. Worse than FM, slightly better than AM.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-XM-Si...h-poor-quality

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogier View Post
Even on an old transistor radio, Sirius sounds absolutely awful. All the programming is compressed until there's no life (or fidelity) left in the sound. It's the equivalent of listening to MP3s that have been ripped at 32 or (at best) 64 Kbps. Worse than FM, slightly better than AM.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-XM-Si...h-poor-quality
Thanks for the link. The thing I don't understand is why it sounds like crap in the Subaru, but hasn't sounded nearly that bad in several other vehicles I've owned. And it's not just the sound quality, but while listening to Sirius the center desk speaker is very pronounced. Switch over to the USB and the front soundstage is much more balanced in addition to the improved sound quality.

Ashford
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
2012 Honda Odyssey
'98 E320
'73.5 911T
'70 Triumph TR6
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/ Eyesight package, pushbutton start, crystal black w/ black leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralittle2 View Post
...why it sounds like crap in the Subaru, but hasn't sounded nearly that bad in several other vehicles I've owned.
I don't know. My experience has been different: the deeply substandard Sirius sound has been a fixture of every car I've driven that has a satellite receiver and a Sirius/XM subscription. I can tolerate talk shows and standup comedy at that sound-quality level, but not music... And thus...no Sirius for me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Car: 2017 2.5 Touring
Sirius also repeats their playlists on music stations WAY too often. On a road trip I find I'm listening to the same music, in the same order as I was the day before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: