Discussion: Canada/ NAV Update... - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2016 OB Limited w/ Tech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Discussion: Canada/ NAV Update...

RE: The NAV update (addition of a mute 'button'), I thought this might be of interest to Canadian OB owners.

I was at my dealer today for routine maintenance: when I asked about the recent TSB for the HU/ Navigation (TSB is 15-205-16), I was told by the Service Manager (SM) that the update was only for US-spec cars. As a layman, this seemed odd to me: Canadian cars are manufactured in the USA and so I assumed that while things such as emissions/ markers/ reflectors etc., would be different to satisfy Transport Canada, I figured that the ones and zeros that make up the software for the head unit would have no difference. I guess I was wrong?

The SM said that the main reason why the USA had an update and Canada did not, was simply because of sheer volume of sales. Period. He also mentioned that yes, while that may not make sense to us up here who have, what appear to be the same cars as down south, the benefit to us is that all the kinks are worked out when updates finally arrive here.

Has anyone else experienced this explanation? Does it make sense? I'm keeping an open mind about it all and would love to hear what other Canadian OB owners have to say about it.

Thanks!

Everything is awesome and no-one is happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:39 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i
going to call bs on that explanation. more likely that subaru of canada doesn't want to spend money to have dealers fix the problem they feel doesn't need to be fixed.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 PM

Wait, so I, (in the US), can take my '16 OB in and get an update that will allow me to mute the navigation audio?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Touring w/ Eyesight
When the steering recall first came up, I remember Subaru Canada lagged behind in issuing the formal recall notice a bit but particularly when issuing the TSBs to dealers - not to mention acquiring the parts. The reason I was given was simply that as a seperate company in a different country, S.C. had to issue its own TSB's through it's own processes (corporate and legal) and timeline. In that case, since that entire process originated in the U.S., from the discovery of the problem to determining a remedy and supplying parts, it made sense that it had to be worked out there first before trickling across the border. Though I would doubt a NAV update should be much of a problem compared to the steering issue, based on the relatively small size of the building Subaru Canada head office is in and with the manpower they have, it could very likely just be sitting in a pile of papers on some overworked person's desk. (Or they're just cost-saving!)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Car: 2015 3.6R w/ES, Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaOutback View Post
Wait, so I, (in the US), can take my '16 OB in and get an update that will allow me to mute the navigation audio?!
Yes, but be prepared for the possibility that they'll fail to follow directions and you'll be inconvenienced with a second visit for them to correct their mistake. Or, you can DIY:

DIY : 2015 (and newer) Navigation Mute Button
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
Yes, but be prepared for the possibility that they'll fail to follow directions and you'll be inconvenienced with a second visit for them to correct their mistake. Or, you can DIY:

DIY : 2015 (and newer) Navigation Mute Button
Awesome. I could do it myself, but I'm coming up on the 30000 mile service in just a couple of days, and I can just have them do it for free. Thanks guys!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Car: Silveru: 2015 Ice Silver Limited w/Tech, 3.6
Yes. I got basically the same story. The TSB is not in Subaru Canada's database so they won't do it. I even took a copy of the TSB to them and they still wouldn't do it. Sounds like there's a good chance they wouldn't get it right the first time so I will do it myself when I have a chance.

I suspect that they will have it at some point but probably won't perform too many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickwicket View Post
RE: The NAV update (addition of a mute 'button'), I thought this might be of interest to Canadian OB owners.

I was at my dealer today for routine maintenance: when I asked about the recent TSB for the HU/ Navigation (TSB is 15-205-16), I was told by the Service Manager (SM) that the update was only for US-spec cars. As a layman, this seemed odd to me: Canadian cars are manufactured in the USA and so I assumed that while things such as emissions/ markers/ reflectors etc., would be different to satisfy Transport Canada, I figured that the ones and zeros that make up the software for the head unit would have no difference. I guess I was wrong?

The SM said that the main reason why the USA had an update and Canada did not, was simply because of sheer volume of sales. Period. He also mentioned that yes, while that may not make sense to us up here who have, what appear to be the same cars as down south, the benefit to us is that all the kinks are worked out when updates finally arrive here.

Has anyone else experienced this explanation? Does it make sense? I'm keeping an open mind about it all and would love to hear what other Canadian OB owners have to say about it.

Thanks!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2016 OB Limited w/ Tech
UPDATE

I have had a reply from Subaru Canada - may or may not be of any interest -

"Thank you for your email below.

As previously stated, Subaru Canada does have a similar bulletin (SB.15.08.15R). Although the bulletin doesn't mention it, but this update has the option to mute the voice guidance on your 2016 Outback. Please speak directly with the Service Manager at your dealership for assistance.

Should your Subaru Dealer require further assistance diagnosing or explaining your technical concern, they have the resources within Subaru Canada to obtain additional assistance.

Thank you again for contacting Subaru Canada.
"

Everything is awesome and no-one is happy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Car: 2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaOutback View Post
Awesome. I could do it myself, but I'm coming up on the 30000 mile service in just a couple of days, and I can just have them do it for free. Thanks guys!

If you glance at a DIY guide for updating head unit, you will see that for some reason 2nd file of the update usually takes two tries to work, so keep that in mind and test your HU before you leave the dealership.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I've got the 30k mile checkup scheduled for 29 Mar, and will have them do it then. I'll try to remember to report back on here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: