Subaru Outback Forums banner

EGR hood/bug deflector...anyone?

18K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  nomad74 
#1 ·
Anybody using this bug deflector on their Outback?

I just installed it today and although it looks quite nice the installation is not quite what I was expecting. There are five tiny screws that actually mount from the top of the deflector making the final installation a bit less than streamlined. The instructions are pretty vague so I just want to confirm that I did install it properly and that's just how it is with this hood and this deflector.

#3 ·
Well, it's too late now. I've already paid for it and installed it and I'm okay with it. I was just expecting a cleaner finished product. On the plus side it doesn't rely on tape. Here in Phoenix it gets quite hot in the summertime needless to say. So in the end I'm happy with the clips and the screws I think.

#4 ·
Now that I reread your post I think you're talking about 3M clear bra. Yeah that's good stuff and I have it on the front of the car and the headlights. But I wanted a black smoke Hood deflector to tie in all my upgrades. I don't really expect it to protect anything, it's purely cosmetic in my situation.

#8 ·
Yes.

Two of the larger brackets fit over the leading edge and mate with two existing holes in the hood on the underside and are secured with screws. Those you can't see. The other brackets are also mounted over the Leading Edge of the hood but screws are put in from the top side of the deflector. The deflector itself is raised a bit off the hood and doesn't actually make any contact with it. Thick vinyl sheets are provided to prevent the brackets from scratching the paint. The very front side of the deflector is curved downwards so that when the hood is shut it almost looks as if it's sitting flush on the hood, but in reality it's not. Overall a very nice design. I just didn't expect exposed screws to be seen from the top side. No biggie.

#9 ·
I'll also add that the production of this is very nice. I know it's just a piece of plastic but every angle and contour of the deflector is pretty much a mirror image of the hood.

Just looking at it again in the dark I think I'm liking it more and more. The screws are black and the deflector is black so the screws kind of look like rivets from up close. Gives it kind of a tough or utilitarian look, which is pretty much exactly what I'm going for with this vehicle. No city princess for me haha.

Plus from a bit of a distance I don't think the screws are even going to be noticeable.

#12 ·
Can you post pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I miss not having one on my 17. Even if I found one I liked with Eyesight it is not an option. I had an OEM one on my 01 and have one on my 09. I like how they look and they have certainly protected the hood. They also are effective in deflecting things up and away from the windshield and roof.

#21 ·
I don’t like the way it doesn’t cover any of the paint below the hood and above the grill. That exposed area is typically what needs the most protection. It also appears that debris can potentially get wedged under/between the deflector and unprotected paint area in the front. It will however protect the hood. Aesthetically it is very nice looking. It would look very nice on a dark color or black car where there would be less visual division between the front painted area, deflector and hood. You have a very sweet looking OB. Very sharp with the black wheels.

#22 ·
Yeah its not perfect but it looks good and that's the only reason I bought it.

Mods are ongoing. The smoke deflector will just help tie in the current new wheel arches installed last week, the black Rally light bar with black Hella lights are next. 64" black ano metal roof rack after that and then I'll work on black vinyl wrap over the chrome window moldings and maybe plastic dip front grill black. Debadging maybe tomorrow.

Oh...and dark smoke side window air deflectors will be ordered next week! Should all tie together nicely.

#23 ·
Blacking out the grill will look very nice. You may want to consider painting the small amount of the white below the deflector to match. Check out the GrillCraft grills, they are very nice. I have one on my truck that is debadged. Look forward to seeing the black grill and how it looks debadged.

#26 ·
Yes that's an option.

I'm just not too sure about that. Over the past month or two I've looked at a few cars that I've come across in parking lots that have had Plasti Dip done, and honestly so far I'm not a big fan. It kind of looks cheesy up close, at least on larger surfaces. That's why I'm not quite sure what to do with my grill. I might just have the chrome surrounding around the grill vinyl wrapped black, and leave the rest of the grill grey.

Wow, this thread has gone all over the place. Still wondering if anyone out there has used to the EGR Hood deflector, LOL.

#27 ·
I really like the look of that. I'm ordering one now. I agree that it lacks some protection on the under it, but unless you put a full bra on it, it is going to lack protection. Anything one can do to keep rocks off the thin windshield will help! Thanks for the pics. I was waiting to see what it looked like before I took the plunge :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.