Subaru Outback Forums banner

Magnaflow exhaust on my 3.6! (pics & video)

26K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Whammy 
#1 ·
I've been extremely happy with my Outback, especially after Ed at XRT tuned it. The final piece for me was getting a nice growl coming from the exhaust. Thanks to some great advice from the XRT chat group I ordered two Magnaflow mufflers and a resonator.

I was VERY pleased when the shop guy fired up my car after the install and backed up my car.

It had a smooth DEEP rich tone. It is much louder than stock and has an ever present sound. When I open up the throttle it has an awesome roar that is very addicting!

I took two short videos driving home in this video, please listen with headphones!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWdkEkdXCE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMn4gEluPc

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice. It is a deep sound. Definitely not a ricer sound. Any drone coming from the hatch area since it's such a deep bass sound? That was the issue I had with the Nameless axleback. It was deep but too much bass in the cabin.

#6 ·
I've yet to take it on the interstate (higher speeds) to see if it has drone or not. I can tell you that while cruising it's quiet if you are easy on the gas. It has a very nice deep note to it. It has some drone but nothing annoying IMO. You can hear the exhaust but it doesn't hurt the ears, nor is it so deep that it's uncomfortable. It's still breaking in, so after a week or so the sound may change.

I will continue to give some input as I drive the car some more.

#7 ·
Yeah, the tech did a fantastic job getting everything lined up and fit properly. The nice thing was I got to keep the tips I already had on my stock exhaust. He did have to cut extra piping on the inlet on the new mufflers to get the custom bend to fit right. Lastly he added custom hangers so that everything would be secure.

Magnaflow resonator : https://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-14156-MagnaFlow-Exhaust-Muffler/dp/B001HLRHMU

Magnaflow mufflers: https://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-11365-MagnaFlow-Exhaust-Muffler/dp/B000XQM1LM/

#8 ·
any of those videos taken with the windows open.?

seems your turn signal makes more noise then the exhaust.

#14 ·
Absolutely. I don't have one of those fancy go-pro cams, but I might have someone record a video as I drive down the street going WOT! I will try to get on by the weekend and post it up.

The exhaust is a head turning, and will only get better in sound as the mufflers are broken in more. I remember I had my Magnaflow Magnapacks on a Mustang I owned some years ago, and the sound quality kept improving as carbon built up within the piping and mufflers.

#15 ·

Perhaps get some outside idling as well with some revs if you can. That I did on my phone while in the garage when I had the Nameless on.

Also, what is the purpose of the resonator you got?

And if you don't mind me asking, I see the prices for the parts, but what did they charge you for the labor there abouts?

Thanks

#16 ·
Perhaps get some outside idling as well with some revs if you can. That I did on my phone while in the garage when I had the Nameless on.

Also, what is the purpose of the resonator you got?

And if you don't mind me asking, I see the prices for the parts, but what did they charge you for the labor there abouts?

Thanks
I will definitely do some revs while the car is idling, thanks for remind me about that.

The resonator is a big restriction in the exhaust, so the reason I used the Magnaflow one was to free up more power, especially once I got it retuned by Ed. If you just wanted sound, you could just do the mufflers, but I wanted to get the most gains I could. Also Hotexhaust has Magnaflow products for 20% for this month.

The shop charged me $160, as it took them 2 hours to get the job done. So $235 plus $160 is under $400 for the parts and install! ($395 to be exact.)

#22 ·
Price of the exhaust is mentioned in post #16. Who knows what someone will pay for a new piece of programming to give different fake CVT shifts....>:)

#23 ·
He listed it out in post #16. About 400 for the whole project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·

Sounded a bit like a STi when you revved it. Seems to be relatively quiet at idle which is good IMO.

Spoke to the guys at AVO yesterday and their axleback is in production so they should have them soon. May give those a try as it's straight forward bolt on.

From what I saw in your pics you can't really revert back to stock without some welding can you ?

#27 ·
Sounded a bit like a STi when you revved it. Seems to be relatively quiet at idle which is good IMO.

Spoke to the guys at AVO yesterday and their axleback is in production so they should have them soon. May give those a try as it's straight forward bolt on.

From what I saw in your pics you can't really revert back to stock without some welding can you ?

That's good to hear that AVO is coming out with their catback soon! I would of waited for it because I know they are going to charge at least $1000, if not more. I can't justify that price to the wife for two mufflers. Also I wanted to change my resonator because my tuner suggested that would be a good idea to free up more power.

Overall I am very happy with my setup! Yes, the system is all welded together, so there's no going back. I plan on owning this car until it dies (or myself lol).

The car keeps sounding better every day! I think the mufflers are getting broken in and I've noticed improvement in the tone, where now it has more definition in the sound as opposed to being droney or blah.

#28 ·

I would get the axleback from AVO if I end up doing that as it's much cheaper. The cat back is 1000+ as you said which is a bit too pricey.

Can't go wrong with the price you paid for your setup though. Especially with a brand like Magnaflow.

#29 ·
What i saw missing from these posts is Xtreme Racing Tuning strong recommendation for Magnaflow.

We been using them for year in hard core rallying here in barbados.

I love to drive my car and set off alarms. In my house, its around a 35-45hz vibration. just love it. I need to replave my resonator now. Been on for years and all though I was told its empty, its sweet

Good work and when you are ready and you want to hear how the H6 and the magnaflow really and truly sound, through in some VP MS109 and get a retuned and post the sound clip.

#30 ·
I have a 3.6 and of course would like to get a little more power out of it. I'm not sure what custom tuning will do in a non-turbo car. But on a turbo it's well worth $700, even without mods. Need dyno results to say re Outback.

And I'm going to be hated for saying this, but IMHO the Outback really lacks the image for a "better" sound. Just lacks that mean SUV look. But it is a matter of taste and opinion, so this is just my 2 cents.

#31 ·
The greatest worth is the CVT operation.

I am sure if Cobbs had an AP, many would easily spend $650+ for what. just an Off The Shelf (OTS) tune and no improvements to the tranmission and average engine tuning. Add to that a tuner just making minor changes to the OTS (Cobbs recommends the car should be tuned) and send you the customer on the way.

#35 ·
Now that the system is broken in, I am really enjoying the sound even more! I love the deep tone it had while driving around at lower speeds. It had a very unique sound and the drone had gone down a lot now. The sound at WOT is intoxicatingly addictive.

Best of all I can't believe how much power I freed up doing this mod in conjunction with Ed at XRT. Now I know how restrictive the stock system is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.