Subaru Outback Forums banner

Powder Coat '17 3.6R Touring

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Tomback 
#1 ·
Hey! So I have a white '17 touring 3.6r and love it (traded in my lemon '17 Forester XT). However I hate all the chrome on it. I don't want to plastidip as I get my car washed at least once a week and don't want it peeling off. Wondering if I'm able to powder coat it. Talked to a place near me and they said if metal they can powder coat it. Are the chrome peices metal? The window sills, handles and grill are what I'm looking at currently. We're gonna add a 2" lift and my husband is picking out new tires and rims.

#6 ·
A wrap of the trim (on the car) might be the best option. I suspect it will be difficult to just remove trim without damage to have it powered coated or painted. You might need to buy new trim pieces for the process.

#9 ·
From my experience you shouldn't have any issues with plastidip. I had it on my old grill and window visors for almost a year and it never peeled. Up close, plastidip may not look as good as wrap or powder, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

#15 ·
All plastic.

Some pieces are just easily replaced. Lower door trim, for instance. I believe it is about $125 for each front door, maybe $75 for each rear door. The door handles - be careful what you do, they contain antennas for keyless entry/lock/unlock. Again you could replaces with non-chrome versions, but that probably involves pulling the door interior door trim. Don't know the cost. Roof rack - I'll sell you my 2017 standard rack and crossbars of my Limited - all black! I installed the Touring rails.

I thought as cars go, this was a model with less chrome than others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.