2015 Outback Diesel for availability? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited
Posts: 3,156
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Make no sense for SUbaru to offer Diesel here in NA. AMericans hates diesel for their cars...GM, FORD, CHrysler/Jeep are only interested in DIesel for their Pickup truck...which until today, It still puzzle me why AMerican prefer gasoline power Pickups over Diesel!!!

At least Toyota sell some pick up truck here in NA. Why would SUbaru invest in marketing Diesel here where they know the people here hates diesel cars (especially tree hugging Subie fans, do you see them driving Diesel??)
and they will be jumping into Gasoline Hybrid soon (in the NA market).

Plus, Looking further ahead(yrs ahead), EVeryone know the Diesel is NOT going to replace the gasoline as fuel of choice for cars in NA. It is going to be Plug in Electric hybrid. Just ask Porsche, their 918 Electric hybrid is already the fastest production car tested in Nurburgring.

I would rather see Subaru spend their R&D money in gasoline/Plug in Electric hybrid.....
awd-gg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 16,271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-gg View Post
Make no sense for SUbaru to offer Diesel here in NA. AMericans hates diesel for their cars...GM, FORD, CHrysler/Jeep are only interested in DIesel for their Pickup truck...which until today, It still puzzle me why AMerican prefer gasoline power Pickups over Diesel!!!

At least Toyota sell some pick up truck here in NA. Why would SUbaru invest in marketing Diesel here where they know the people here hates diesel cars (especially tree hugging Subie fans, do you see them driving Diesel??)
and they will be jumping into Gasoline Hybrid soon (in the NA market).

Plus, Looking further ahead(yrs ahead), EVeryone know the Diesel is NOT going to replace the gasoline as fuel of choice for cars in NA. It is going to be Plug in Electric hybrid. Just ask Porsche, their 918 Electric hybrid is already the fastest production car tested in Nurburgring.

I would rather see Subaru spend their R&D money in gasoline/Plug in Electric hybrid.....
AWD-GG the other issue is that if my current 2.5 CVT is doing 30mpg on road trips and 25mpg around town which it is.. There is no reason for me to pay $4000 more for the diesel version that what returns 38-40mpg highway and 28mpg around town. The difference is not large enough. However if my current 2.5 was still doing what my last one did 25mpg was pretty typical road trip and city average all the way around then yes a diesel version that did 28 around town and 38-40mpg on the highway would seem like a big deal and be attractive to me. Given thats not the case I really don't see my self bothering with a diesel OB. A diesel SUV or pickup that replaces my current one that gets 14-19mpg with one that gets 17-30mpg would be a big deal.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited
Posts: 3,156
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
AWD-GG the other issue is that if my current 2.5 CVT is doing 30mpg on road trips and 25mpg around town which it is.. There is no reason for me to pay $4000 more for the diesel version that what returns 38-40mpg highway and 28mpg around town. The difference is not large enough.
and if you factor in (most of the time) Diesel sell for More $0.20-$0.30/gal than regular gas... You will actually spend more money in diesel than gasoline if your drive are mostly around town.

I did this calculation 10 yrs ago when I was shopping for a Hybrid. The CIvic LX(30/38mpg) less than the CIvic Hybrid (47/46 mpg). But MY drive at that time were 90% in town and 10 hwy... so a 17 mpg around time is Huge saving for me (even when gas was $1.50.gal) .. Plus the Hybrid comes with a sport rim!!!!(WHy??? lol)
awd-gg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
Posts: 2,253
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

What is the success of Walmart based on, what is in the OP... Price.
There’s a post in where the Euro D version is the same price, well that’s because the gas version is inflated to begin with. Given rollout/infrastructure costs for a NA D, there has to be a premium (as expected). And how would that play against the Subaru model lineup, on the OB alone it would cannibalize the Ltd and 3.6 sales.<O
Subaru has their NA spreadsheet, the D won’t be coming anytime soon.<O
GasGuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 16,271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
What is the success of Walmart based on, what is in the OP... Price.
There’s a post in where the Euro D version is the same price, well that’s because the gas version is inflated to begin with. Given rollout/infrastructure costs for a NA D, there has to be a premium (as expected). And how would that play against the Subaru model lineup, on the OB alone it would cannibalize the Ltd and 3.6 sales.<O
Subaru has their NA spreadsheet, the D won’t be coming anytime soon.<O
Not to mention with the FP engine line when mileage bump is needed to keep the OB on the list of vehicles people consider they simply add DI bump the mileage and maybe add 5hp to the power to get people excited given we have seen 10hp added to the 2.5 since 2001. LOL a 5hp bump and increased mileage would be a big deal to Subaru people who might be shopping other brands with better mileage. LOL
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
Posts: 637
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Ford, GM, Nissan and dodge/chrysler/jeep will be the major diesel players over the next 10yrs in the US market. GM, Ford and Chyrsler products all have current models which are US legal all they need to see is that people will pay for them ie buy them without deep discounting and the show rooms will be full of them.
LOL
You left out the VW group which is already (and has been for awhile) a "major" player in the diesel market. BMW and MB have had diesel offerings for a long time as well. Much longer than the other kids you list.
Tom28 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 16,271
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom28 View Post
You left out the VW group which is already (and has been for awhile) a "major" player in the diesel market. BMW and MB have had diesel offerings for a long time as well. Much longer than the other kids you list.
I left them out given I figured people already knew that VW has always been diesel something in the US though it was not till just recently they sold the same diesel they have in Europe here in the States. Prior to the 2.0 TDI VW off loaded its older lower powered engines on the US consumer. LOL

Brand new Diesel X3 was out front at daycare this week. Didn't even know they were selling them yet in the US. Apparently they are. LOL
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Car: 2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
Posts: 637
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Brand new Diesel X3 was out front at daycare this week. Didn't even know they were selling them yet in the US. Apparently they are. LOL
Yep. And I've seen them made (as well as all of the other X-series - except for the X4) and gotten to drive them on the track across the street from the plant. ;*)

I'm totally diggin' my TDI Golf for the whole 4 days I've had it.

So, c'mon Subaru! Give us a chance!
Tom28 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
wutbürger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Car: 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
Posts: 411
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Eh, they're not everything they're cracked up to be in my opinion.

Hope Tom28 doesn't experience the VW HPFP failure like I did (as have thousands of others in the 2009+ VW CR TDI engines). 250 miles into a tank of D2 in my 2011 Golf TDI and the engine just died on the highway out of nowhere. Towed to the dealership, given back to me 3 weeks later with a nearly $10,000 repair bill (thank god for warranty). High Pressure Fuel Pump bit the dust sending metal both forward and backwards throughout the entire fuel system. I was never given a reason, there was no contamination found in my tank of diesel, and I had every receipt for every gallon of pure diesel put into the thing.

I say this because enthusiasts seem to have this fetish/romanticized view of diesels being these phenomenal, reliable engines churning out 80mpg on unicorn tears and puppy farts while running for 1,000,000 trouble-free miles. The truth is, the torque is just awesome and yes, I did get great MPG (lifetime average of 44.5mpg over 30,000 miles). But the complexity and systems it takes to achieve a "clean diesel" these days far outweighs any benefit in my opinion. These are not the diesels of yore which run forever - they are highly complex machines and if something fails (DPF clogs, HPFP gives, NoX catalyst gives, urea system fails, etc. etc.) they are VERY expensive fixes wiping out any cost savings with the MPG.

But again, just my opinion on the topic - to each their own.
wutbürger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Just this guy, you know.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern West Virginia
Car: 2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
Posts: 843
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-gg View Post
Make no sense for SUbaru to offer Diesel here in NA. AMericans hates diesel for their cars...GM, FORD, CHrysler/Jeep are only interested in DIesel for their Pickup truck.

Sorry, but GM apparently didn't get that memo. GM has the Cobalt Diesel on sale now. While I am not a fan of Chevy's, I would lat least like to try one out. I stopped by the local Chevy dealership and they said they can't get any to stay on the lot to test drive.

2014 Chevy Cruze: Trims - Compact Car | Chevrolet

Chevy is hinting they may have a diesel in the Malibu in the next year or two.
Startiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Copyright 2009-2010 SubaruOutback.org. All Rights Reserved.