Subaru Outback Forums banner

Outback Shudder

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cardoc 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited. When cruising at about any speed and the trans upshifts under light acceleration the entire vehicle shudders. First I thought bent driveshaft but if that were the case it would happen all the time. This issue occurs about 85% of the time. Now I am really thinking it's a trans issue (5AT) has anyone else heard of or had this issue. The fluid is clean and full. We have had the car since it was new and it has 37k on it now. My fiance and I bought it together and she is the one tha actually brought it to my attention which says it's noticeable. Thanks

#2 ·
There could be a few things that is doing it.

The TCM (transmission module) is programmed to engage the torque converter clutch even at low speeds for economy purposes. If the low torque clutch engagement is causing the shudder, a flush may correct it.

You may have a dirty throttle body. The system is drive by wire (DBW) and is electronically controlled by the ECM and the accelerator pedal sensor. If the throttle is gummed up, it will effect air flow and the TPS (throttle position sensor) activity and measurement.

A clogged or clogging PCV valve could be effecting air flow.

Dirty air filter could do it.

Weak battery or dirty grounds are another possibility.

Sticky brake at one wheel.

All possibles. You just have to check. I would start with maintenance items like the throttle body and PCV valve cleaning, clean all the grounds and battery cables and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.