Subaru Outback License Plate LEDs! Plug & Play install! Same-day Shipping! - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Rub

Car: 2016 3.6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jessica,

The manual tells you how but it really isn't all that clear even after reading it a few times. I've changed mine so here's how it's done:

1. The license plate unit is one piece aka the clear cover and the bulb housing are glued together and hence, they come out as one piece.

2. Because your car is new, they may make you swear as you're trying to get them out. Swearing is OK for this task.

3. You do not need any tools; only the power of your fingers and hands.

4. For the right side, face the light unit and push really hard, I mean really hard, on the right side of the unit towards the left. Try to slide it is the motion you want. It will only move about 3-4 mm total but that's OK.

5. While you are pushing with your right hand, reach up with your left and pull down on the top of the cover like you are trying to roll it towards you. This will cause it to slightly come out, if not outright out, of the rear hatch and then you can work it loose. There's an S shaped piece of plastic on one side of the back of the light assembly and little latch on the other. Those are the parts you're working to overcome but you can't see them until the unit is out.

6. Once it's out, changing the bulb is easy peasy and you'll then curse the S shaped plastic that caused you a fit.

7. Putting it back it is a breeze and requres almost no effort. It will snap in place.

8. The left side is the same, except you're pushing from left towards the center of the car and mirroring what you did on the right.

Diode Dynamics and Jessica08 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Car: 2015 STI
Well said @Rub

We cover it in the XV LED Conversion install video, but your explanation nails it.

You have to push it in the correct direction and the housings will come right out. May require a bit of force, but no tools.

Nick C.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Customer submitted photo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:10 PM

Car: 3.6R Limited; Wrangler TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Jessica,

The manual tells you how but it really isn't all that clear even after reading it a few times. I've changed mine so here's how it's done:

1. The license plate unit is one piece aka the clear cover and the bulb housing are glued together and hence, they come out as one piece.

2. Because your car is new, they may make you swear as you're trying to get them out. Swearing is OK for this task.

3. You do not need any tools; only the power of your fingers and hands.

4. For the right side, face the light unit and push really hard, I mean really hard, on the right side of the unit towards the left. Try to slide it is the motion you want. It will only move about 3-4 mm total but that's OK.

5. While you are pushing with your right hand, reach up with your left and pull down on the top of the cover like you are trying to roll it towards you. This will cause it to slightly come out, if not outright out, of the rear hatch and then you can work it loose. There's an S shaped piece of plastic on one side of the back of the light assembly and little latch on the other. Those are the parts you're working to overcome but you can't see them until the unit is out.

6. Once it's out, changing the bulb is easy peasy and you'll then curse the S shaped plastic that caused you a fit.

7. Putting it back it is a breeze and requres almost no effort. It will snap in place.

8. The left side is the same, except you're pushing from left towards the center of the car and mirroring what you did on the right.
Thank you. I was able to get them out without too much trouble.

The left sided one snapped into place nice and tight. The right sided one won't snap in quite as nice. I can take one finger and get the housing out of there plus it moves a little more than the left sided one. Nothing appears to be broken on the housing so I'm wondering if it will be okay or what I'm doing wrong?

Hebrews 11:1
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:11 PM

One of the first modifications I wanted to do to my 2016 Outback 3.6R was to replace the interior and license plate bulbs with some quality LEDs.

In the past, I used LEDs from another supplier, and with what I thought was good success. That was not the case this time...

I received the bulbs, and while the all worked, they were pitiful! I knew I had to find another vendor.

I decided to call Diode Dynamics, ask them some questions, and afterwards decided to place my order. Thanks for the help, Cory!

Here's a few comparison pictures, FYI.

Diode Dynamics on the left, other guy on the right.

Diode Dynamics on the left, other guy on the right.

Diode Dynamics versus stock bulb, underneath front door.

What all Diode Dynamics LEDs look like in a dark garage.

Overall, I am very pleased!

FYI, this is not a paid advertisement of any type. This is just a post with comparison pictures for other forum members to use as a way to make an educated purchase in the future.

Diode Dynamics:
I know my pictures aren't the greatest, but you have my permission to use them in any way you seem fit.

Thanks for a quality purchase!

Edit-Bulbs Used:
Maps lights and center dome light: SMF6 94 Lumens Cool White 6000K
Underneath front doors, license plate, and rear cargo dome light: HP5 92 Lumens, Cool White 6000K
Note: For the license plate lights, the end cap diffuser must be removed to fit in the plastic bulb housing. It'll fit with the end cap on, but it touches the plastic housing. So to not have any worries about melting, I removed the diffuser as per Diode Dynamics instructions. I couldn't tell any difference in light output, and it does not affect the three year warranty on the bulb. All other bulbs fit 100%.
Diode Dynamics and Thrawn like this.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

@BadTrainDriver,

Thank you for taking the time to post pictures with our products installed and provide your feedback. We are looking forward to bringing an Outback in our studio here in St. Louis to put together installation videos for everyone on the forum. (Just need to find one!)

We appreciate your support!

Nick C.

post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

New 2017 Subaru Outback License Plate LED comparison photos have been added!

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 PM

Good info to know...

Cheers!
Diode Dynamics likes this.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i-S Pearl White (Snoopy)
do u have led for front signal bulb of outback 2016? thanks

2017 Outback 2.5i-S
Pearl White
3M Colorstable Window Tints
Bosch Europa Horns
Hella Supertone Horns
Deep Dish Carmats
Weathertech Cargo Mat
Philips Led Dome lights
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM

Those look really nice! How much do those LEDs go for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: