Subaru Outback Forums banner

Subaru Outback License Plate LEDs! Plug & Play install! Same-day Shipping!

35K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  Diode Dynamics 
#1 ·

Subaru Outback License Plate LEDs

License plate bulbs are used to illuminate the rear license plate on your Subaru Outback. From the factory, the bulbs are incandescent, lighting up in a yellowish color.

Newer luxury cars use LED modules to illuminate the license plate with modern, cool white light. By changing your license plate bulbs to LED, you can easily add this luxury look to your Outback!

The installation is 100% plug-and-play, just replace your factory bulb.

With low price and easy install, this is one of the best, easiest modifications you can do to improve how your Subaru Outback looks at night.

Brightness:

Diode Dynamics offers several bulb options so you can choose what fits you best. These options are listed by the design and the lumen output of each bulb:

SMD2: Slightly higher brightness than OEM bulbs. (24 lumens)
HP3: Much brighter than OEM bulbs. These are bright! (56 lumens)
HP5: Nearly triple the brightness of stock OEM bulbs! (92 lumens)

Bulb Design

SMD2: Similarly compact design, with two 5050-size Epistar SMD chips, driven at high power for maximum effective brightness. Outputs at 180 degrees.

HP3: One high-power SMD under a diffusing lens for truly even output (no hotspots). Constant current design and air-cooled base for superior reliability. Features dual contact pins and nonpolar function for easy installation.

HP5: Four high-power SMDs, under a diffusing lens. Just like the HP3, but run at higher power, with integrated copper plating for superior heat dissipation, allowing maximum brightness.

These bulbs are made up of a quality plastic connector to slide right into the plug, as well as high durability terminals. A load resistor is embedded to prevent blowing the LEDs from voltage surge, and a diode is implanted to protect the LEDs from reverse polarity. The LED is wired for 12V operation, the kind found on all vehicles.

Included in your order is TWO BULBS (to fit your Subaru Outback).

All of our products come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited warranty.

2000-2015+ Subaru Outback License Plate LEDs

2000-2007 subaru Outback Sedan License Plate LEDs

LED 194 Bulb Models

2000-2015+ Subaru Outback License Plate LEDs

2000-2007 Subaru Outback Sedan License Plate LEDs

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post, PM, or Email contact@diodedynamics.com

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks for looking!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics

Customer Reviews

"I got the white stage 2 LEDs for the license plate and these things are quite bright. I was surprised at how bright they actually were and how we'll they disperse the light. All in all I'm very happy with these. They shine very much like luxury models. (Posted on December 26, 2013)" -Verwilderd

Customer submitted photo

See less See more
This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Just ordered the license plate and turn signal lights. Not sure if I'll need the resistor ballast, I'll order them if I need them. I figure if I do, I'll order them with the bulbs for the front. I'm going to be your Guinea Pig for the 2015, LOL!

#7 ·
#12 ·
The HP3/HP5 bulb models are the newest designs and will outlast the older SMD models. However, you can still expect the LEDs to outlast the life of your vehicle.

We also back them with a 3-year limited warranty in the event you encounter any issues.

All of our bulbs are designed for the automotive application and have enough heatsink to insure longevity

Nick C.

#24 ·
One thing about Diode Dynamics, their bulbs might look the same as the cheap stuff on eBay, I'm here to tell you they're not! I've wasted money on LED's off eBay, and they weren't anything described. In fact, I had a set of turn signal bulbs that where very cheap, I think they where around $20, where Diode Dynamics bulb sets are $50. Well, you get what you pay for. one didn't work at all, and the other had a few LED elements burned out.
I've ordered ALLOT from Diode Dynamics, and have NEVER had an issue with any of their products. They really are worth the extra money.
So far I've replaced the license plate lights, back up lights, turn signal lights, and marker lights. All are working very well with absolutely no issues.
Especially CAN-Bus interference.
I'll never order LED's from anywhere else, they're that good!

P.S. No, I don't work for them, just love the products, and customer service!

Reactions: Diode Dynamics
#25 ·
Thank you for your support @KentuckyOutback,

We are looking forward to bringing a 2015+ Outback into our studio here in St. Louis to provide helpful installation videos for the Outback community. We've always been fans of Subaru here at Diode Dynamics, and we will continue to develop unique products for them.

Nick C.

#26 ·
Thanks for the quick delivery of my HP3s for license plate.
Now, how do I remove the cover plate to install the new LED bulbs?
Any instructions will help. I have 2016 3.6R Outback.
The manual says slide to the left and pull. It is not easy to do.
Are tools needed?
Thanks

#29 ·
We are still looking for a 2015+ Outback to bring into our studio here in St. Louis for comparison photos and installation videos.

If you have any questions about bulb fitment for the interior, please reach out to our customer service team: contact@diodedynamics.com

We will be updating the listing shortly, but we do have all of the bulbs available

Nick C.

#31 ·
Jessica,

The manual tells you how but it really isn't all that clear even after reading it a few times. I've changed mine so here's how it's done:

1. The license plate unit is one piece aka the clear cover and the bulb housing are glued together and hence, they come out as one piece.

2. Because your car is new, they may make you swear as you're trying to get them out. Swearing is OK for this task.

3. You do not need any tools; only the power of your fingers and hands.

4. For the right side, face the light unit and push really hard, I mean really hard, on the right side of the unit towards the left. Try to slide it is the motion you want. It will only move about 3-4 mm total but that's OK.

5. While you are pushing with your right hand, reach up with your left and pull down on the top of the cover like you are trying to roll it towards you. This will cause it to slightly come out, if not outright out, of the rear hatch and then you can work it loose. There's an S shaped piece of plastic on one side of the back of the light assembly and little latch on the other. Those are the parts you're working to overcome but you can't see them until the unit is out.

6. Once it's out, changing the bulb is easy peasy and you'll then curse the S shaped plastic that caused you a fit.

7. Putting it back it is a breeze and requres almost no effort. It will snap in place.

8. The left side is the same, except you're pushing from left towards the center of the car and mirroring what you did on the right.

#34 ·
Thank you. I was able to get them out without too much trouble.

The left sided one snapped into place nice and tight. The right sided one won't snap in quite as nice. I can take one finger and get the housing out of there plus it moves a little more than the left sided one. Nothing appears to be broken on the housing so I'm wondering if it will be okay or what I'm doing wrong?

#35 ·
One of the first modifications I wanted to do to my 2016 Outback 3.6R was to replace the interior and license plate bulbs with some quality LEDs.

In the past, I used LEDs from another supplier, and with what I thought was good success. That was not the case this time...

I received the bulbs, and while the all worked, they were pitiful! I knew I had to find another vendor.

I decided to call Diode Dynamics, ask them some questions, and afterwards decided to place my order. Thanks for the help, Cory!

Here's a few comparison pictures, FYI.

Diode Dynamics on the left, other guy on the right.

Diode Dynamics on the left, other guy on the right.

Diode Dynamics versus stock bulb, underneath front door.

What all Diode Dynamics LEDs look like in a dark garage.

Overall, I am very pleased!

FYI, this is not a paid advertisement of any type. This is just a post with comparison pictures for other forum members to use as a way to make an educated purchase in the future.

Diode Dynamics:
I know my pictures aren't the greatest, but you have my permission to use them in any way you seem fit.

Thanks for a quality purchase!

Edit-Bulbs Used:
Maps lights and center dome light: SMF6 94 Lumens Cool White 6000K
Underneath front doors, license plate, and rear cargo dome light: HP5 92 Lumens, Cool White 6000K
Note: For the license plate lights, the end cap diffuser must be removed to fit in the plastic bulb housing. It'll fit with the end cap on, but it touches the plastic housing. So to not have any worries about melting, I removed the diffuser as per Diode Dynamics instructions. I couldn't tell any difference in light output, and it does not affect the three year warranty on the bulb. All other bulbs fit 100%.

#36 ·
@BadTrainDriver,

Thank you for taking the time to post pictures with our products installed and provide your feedback. We are looking forward to bringing an Outback in our studio here in St. Louis to put together installation videos for everyone on the forum. (Just need to find one!)

We appreciate your support!

Nick C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.