Subaru Outback Forums banner

Torque Bind - Solved

30K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  flyfish 
#1 ·
Just to let people know, I have eliminated my torque bind for $10.

Read a posting somewhere: Go to NAPA and buy limited slip differential additive. Put it in the tranny. Run it.

The torque bind went away within 50 miles completely. Not sure of long term effects of this stuff in there, but I have had absolutely no problems within the last 250 miles.

#3 ·
Nothing solves TB on a manual, as the Viscous coupling is completly sealed.

Yes he put limited slip fluid in the automatic tranny fill neck. I know it sounds worng, but sometimes it works. I hope he did a tranny flush first. Subarus love their 3 year 36,000 mile fluid changes. Give a sooby a tranny fluid change no matter the mileage and it shifts like a new car.

nipper

#4 ·
Many people report results with the limited slip additive. Often they say they need to add it once a year or so. Maybe it shears down over time or something. I would use it only if a few transmission fluid changes have already been tried without solving the problem. The GM LSD additive was supposed to have been mentioned in an early 90's Subaru TIPS newsletter though I haven't found a copy. Some other automakers I think have also said to add this to the ATF for various issues.

#6 ·
porcupine73 said:
Many people report results with the limited slip additive. Often they say they need to add it once a year or so. Maybe it shears down over time or something. I would use it only if a few transmission fluid changes have already been tried without solving the problem. The GM LSD additive was supposed to have been mentioned in an early 90's Subaru TIPS newsletter though I haven't found a copy. Some other automakers I think have also said to add this to the ATF for various issues.
..is there a recommended or prescribed amount to be added or just "add a small amount" at a time and see what happens..

#7 ·
LSD additive/friction modifier reduces the static coefficient of friction of the gear oil. Basically it reduces the force needed to get parts slipping that are in sliding contact. The more you add, the more the effect. It reduces the torque bias ratio of clutch-type LSDs. Probably not harmful in the long term...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.