Subaru Outback Forums banner

Vdc

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  eagleeye 
#1 ·
The trans in our 01 LL Bean 3.0 litre has passed. I found a used one and it was delivered to my trans shop - it turns out that it has VDC and the car doesn't. Can it be rewired to Not use the VDC?

#2 ·
others have asked this,...but it is a rare question. there might be mechanical issues in the output going into the VTD part in the VDC cars.

however, @grossgary @lockmedic...might know (rebuilders of EZ30D cars). (I wonder if it is as easy as looking up the part number of the trans in both cars)

lots of used LLBean H6 in yards in america,.

when did yours get into Canada?

#3 ·
for future reference:

31000AE330 = OUTBACK; 3.0L; W/O VDC

31000AE050 = OUTBACK; 3.0L; W/VDC

#5 ·
i don't think anyone actually knows the answer to this. both transmissions are equal in terms of cost and availability so there's lacking reasons to attempt it.

if you wanted to investigate you can compare wiring diagrams. if the pinouts are identical - that's a good sign it'll at least run and work.

VDC is really a controller difference - it controls the engine, brakes, and transmission. the engine and brakes are the same/interchangeable in VDC and non-VDC vehicles so really good chance the transmissions are as well.

after that - start comparing parts:

1. front differentials are the same - same final drive ratio so that good.
2. valve body
3. rear extension housing guts (both are VTD in the H6's right)?

but again - conjecture.

#6 ·
i don't think anyone actually knows the answer to this. both transmissions are equal in terms of cost and availability so there's lacking reasons to attempt it.

if you wanted to investigate you can compare wiring diagrams. if the pinouts are identical - that's a good sign it'll at least run and work.

VDC is really a controller difference - it controls the engine, brakes, and transmission. the engine and brakes are the same/interchangeable in VDC and non-VDC vehicles so really good chance the transmissions are as well.

after that - start comparing parts:

1. front differentials are the same - same final drive ratio so that good.
2. valve body
3. rear extension housing guts (both are VTD in the H6's right)?

but again - conjecture.
sorry to say / sad to report.

2001-2004 US / Canada spec H6 cars do not have VTD,...unless they are a actual VDC car.

the plain H6 cars did have a limited slip rear though.

all the H6 got VTD starting in 2005.

as per cars101

2001 2001 Subaru Outback options, prices, all currrent and older Subarus Outbacks Foresters Imprezas Bajas

2004 2004 Subaru Outback options, prices, photos, colors, all other Subarus also

2005 2005 Outback- Subaru Outback Research site

#7 ·
great info, so the VTD will be different. folks have already swapped VTD's in place of MPT's so that's a known quantity. research those threads for possibly keeping the VTD (considered an upgrade by some) or swapping the MPT in place of the VTD.

#10 ·
this has been a question that I don't think has definitely been answered

as no one gets 2 together and compares, or gets through a install to report.

the output shaft shape maybe different. causing the difference in part numbers.

or the VDC version may have slightly different electrical plugs for a extra sensor wire.

_______

the places you buy from "should" have a return clause so you can get yours side by side with the donor trans to see.

does yours have the mechanical VTD without the electronic VDC?

are you sourcing donors from local Kiwi / Aussie market used,...or JDM?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.