New (to me!) Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2010 Subaru 2.5 Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New (to me!) Outback

Hi everyone!
I just put a deposit down on a grey 2010 2.5 manual Sport that I'm going to pick up from Montreal on Wednesday (I live in Kingston, ON). I am le excited! Only major downside is that it doesn't come with snow tires but the price is reasonable for the age and mileage, so I can't complain too much (I think). I'm buying the car from Christien Trepanier at Subaru Rive Nord. Over the phone (so far) he seems like a pretty good dude!

On the shopping list:
rear seat back protectors
snow tires (& rims)
trailer hitch

On the future-plans-list:
rear swaybar
HID headlights

On the wish-list:
Lowered suspension --> I've driven a Mazda 3 since 2004 and have not found ground clearance to be an issue in my travels around the country. I'm hoping for improved handling and fuel economy.

If anyone has a suggestion for where to get a hitch installed in the Ottawa/Kingston/Toronto triangle I'd love to hear it! I'm planning on getting the seat back protectors pretty quickly, I have a Golden Retriever who loves to shed on everything!

Thanks, looking forward to exploring with the new ride!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, I think I'm already in love.

A few things left a sour taste in my mouth:
The wipers had to be replaced by the dealership because they were literally falling apart.
There were (and still are, a little) stains on the seats. The last owner must have been a filthy SOB to have that much grime after only 100k km. I had them clean it again and it took care of the worst of it.
They delivered the car with less than a quarter tank of gas in it. Now, I get that I'm not paying some stupid amount of money for a PDI, but seriously? A tank of gas?

Good things that stood out:
The car appears to be in good shape
Christien was very helpful and immediately addressed every concern I had, like replacing the wipers and getting the interior re cleaned.

Overall I'd give Subaru Give Nord a marginal passing grade. Give yourself lots of time so they can fix those little things on the spot. I felt a little rushed, both with my own pressure to drive home that night, and with the number of things that I found and thought were pretty obvious.
The car definitely needs winter tires, that'll be the first item to get knocked off the list.

Does anyone else think the headlights (low beams) are like an old man pissing into a hurricane? They were awful! And the headlight shape is perfectly sculpted to collect road dirt and slush directly over the low beam lens. I had to stop three times on a 300km drive last night to clean the headlights so I didn't have to use the highs to see around a corner! Not sure if the PO just used shitty bulbs or if I'm going to be plugging in some HIDs in the near future, but I really didn't enjoy driving at night with degraded vision.

Putting my first order in to Subaru on line parts shortly for the seat back protectors and rear sway. The stock stereo needs some work too...

I think my wife is going to hate me soon

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 10:22 PM

late late late congrats. just registered on the forum and picked up my subi today from Subaru Rive Nord...but not from Christian. Took a 2011 6MT lease return. There was a few things to fix and they did them all before taking it over today. Had a good service but than again i'm the easiest customer in the world. I like it, we shake on it I buy it... but if things fall apart a week after I burn your **** down!

How's the ride so far?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I've put 14000km on the car since December, and did the Bluer et. al. Legacy GT suspension swap with rear sway. I'm thrilled with how the handling and ride improved, even SWMBO prefers the new suspension! I also put 18" gold Sparco's with Yokohama Advan Excelis rubber, which is quite nice for a summer tire. I put Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's on the stock 17's. Got a Curt hitch and 7 pin connector installed at Auto Add On's in Kingston, they were pretty good to work with and weren't horrendously over priced. Heaviest thing I've towed so far is my motorcycle, but I'm pleased none the less. Put the rain deflectors and rear seat back protectors on as well, ordered from Subaruonlineparts, very pleased with both of those.

My biggest outstanding want for the car is a backup camera, I can't believe how difficult it is to judge distance with the upsloping rear body panels. Maybe it's just a 'me' problem though! Of course this would come with a head unit and stereo upgrade... not that I've told the wife that part yet

As to fuel economy, I get about 8.5l/100km at 120km/h if the roof is clean, with the 18cu.ft. roof box on I get 9.5l/100km at about 115km/h. Burning around 11l/100km in the city. I'm really pleased with the economy for such a large vehicle! Not sure what my heavy towing burn rate will be, I'm planning on buying a small (22ish feet) sailboat next summer and I know I'm going to be maxing out the tow capacity with trailer brakes.

Last edited by Agent Orange; 07-16-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spark of brilliance.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 PM

Sweet!!!

I'm also looking into a hitch to tow my bike! And a roof rack because it looks cool ...and the sporadic storage space.

Got the cargo rubber in today and blacked out the front grill with the rear badges.

Am thinking of smoking the tail light and putting yellow film on the fogs.

How's shipping to Canada from subaruonlineparts? duties?

I know what you mean with the backing up. Haven't hit or nothing yet but hard to judge especially that I haven't even done 1000km yet. First attempt at parallel parking downtown montreal was pretty shitty...needed to go out and do it again (kind of a perfectionist).
My MDX had a rear view camera. I'm not the one to always use it but it came in handy a few times.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 PM

Oh And kinda want to see your wheel set up.

I stayed in the 17" with some Enkei Bortex and 225/60/17 for ride comfort.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Here ya go!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM

hummmm...no im sad i chose 17's.

Ill post a pic tomorrow
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I scored mine off Kijiji!

I used a Kinek drop point on Wellesley island for all the shipping then drove across and picked it up myself, much cheaper than paying duty if you're close to the border.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 PM

here's mine ...dirtyish

just like the way yours fit. I still have to much gap.
Picked my up from guy in Lancaster. We met in hawkesbury for a midpoint location. Pretty cheap too. Don't see any reason I won't be able to sell these if ever I join the 18" club.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: