Canadian Survey - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #11 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Only 3 active Canadian members?

Gee, we need to do some publicity, this is Subaru country!

Fast Sly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” - James Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:01 PM
OBXT Moderator

Car: 2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Is there still a Commonwealth? Is so, you could pick up New Zealand and Australia.

Oops, Oz has their own.

Well there's...ah...Bermuda....The Bahamas....British Virgin Islands...Real Subaru Countries.

2005 Outback XT Limited
aka "The Turdboss"
Manual Transmission, STS

p.s. A Smith and Wesson beats four aces.
post #13 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, we're all officially part of the Commonwealth, so we can pay for the Queen's visits and have our own mini Olympics.

But we've been a country since 1868.

Fast Sly

|
|

post #14 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 06:34 AM
Submod

Car: 2000 BMW R1150gs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
3.5 Canadians

I hope I qualify.

Username: Subhuman

Current Location: Orygun
Raised: Vancouver, Williams Lake, Nanaimo, Seattle

Vehicle 1: 1997 LOB

Purchased: July 2004, NY

Mileage: 130,000 miles (I put on 30,000 since leaving NY)

Vehicle 2: 1997 Toy Corolla

Purchased: 1997

Mileage: 190,000 miles (and I put on every single mile)

Sub Pros: BIGGER! kids don't complain about dog drool

Sub Cons: MPG, and the ******* who sold it to me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #15 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM
jri

Talking

So far so good!

I picked up my new 2.5i at Van Bortel, and made it back home with no issues. US Customs was very fast, they just checked my paperwork with their advance copy, stamped the certificate of origin, and I was on my way. At Canada customs, they checked to make sure that the Outback is on the import eligible vehicle list (it is), checked manufacturing location (US, therefore duty free), and filled out a Vehicle Import Form. After I paid the GST, Air Tax, and RIV fee, I was on my way. The whole thing took less than a 1/2 hour. When I receive some RIV documents in the mail, the next step will be to take the car to Canadian Tire to have it inspected (to ensure it meets Canadian Regs), and then I can go to a vehicle licensing place to get my plates.

First impressions are great, had a nice long highway trip home to enjoy the car.

JR the importer!
post #16 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool! Let us know how much you saved over MSRP when all is said and done.

Fast Sly

|
|
post #17 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:10 PM
OBXT Moderator

Car: 2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Excellent. Congratualtions! Another (I hope) satisfied Van Bortel's customer. They are the best dealership in OUR country!

2005 Outback XT Limited
aka "The Turdboss"
Manual Transmission, STS

p.s. A Smith and Wesson beats four aces.
post #18 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:29 AM

Car: 05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd
jri, thanks for keeping us updated. This is good information for every Canadian customer who gets the 'dire warning' routine from sales staff (and managers) at the dealerships on this side of the border.
Two things I also wondered about, if you don't mind elaborating:
1) what exactly was the proof you were given about the reciprocal arrangements (which you referred to above) between SOA and Subaru Canada pertaining to the warranty?
2) Was there any issue about having to produce documents proving country of origin and certification regarding recalls & compliance since the date of manufacture? (You mentioned the recall, but I wondered what you had to do to get the letter.)
post #19 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:38 PM
jri

Quote:
Originally posted by Whitlow
jri, thanks for keeping us updated. This is good information for every Canadian customer who gets the 'dire warning' routine from sales staff (and managers) at the dealerships on this side of the border.
Two things I also wondered about, if you don't mind elaborating:
1) what exactly was the proof you were given about the reciprocal arrangements (which you referred to above) between SOA and Subaru Canada pertaining to the warranty?
2) Was there any issue about having to produce documents proving country of origin and certification regarding recalls & compliance since the date of manufacture? (You mentioned the recall, but I wondered what you had to do to get the letter.)
Hi Whitlow, the "proof" I have is a response to an e-mail that I sent to contact@mysubaru.ca. The reply states:

------------------------

"This to confirm that there is a reciprocal agreement between Subaru of America and Subaru Canada, Inc. The U. S. warranty is valid in Canada and any warranty condition will be repaired by a Canadian dealer as covered by the U. S. warranty.

You will have to contact the National Registrar of Imported Vehicles before bringing the car to Canada.

Canadian dealers should be advised by you that the vehicle is a U. S. vehicle so that they can confirm the warranty is still in effect as the Canadian dealer will not have the VIN on their data base.

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Subaru Canada, Inc."

---------------------------------------------

I'm still leary about my first trip to my local dealer for warranty work, but hopefully they realize that they will get to make money off of all the maintenance work, money that would have otherwise gone to a Honda dealer if I couldn't import the Subaru...

To answer the second question, Canada customs had a list that they looked at to determine country of origin. I have not had to show the recall clearance letter yet, but it was also very easy to obtain. I called SOA, and gave them the VIN number, and they faxed me the letter within hours.

JR
post #20 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 03:24 AM

Car: 05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd
Thanks for posting that email text and answering about the recall letter.
Hope your OB is all you expected--and more!
cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: