Canadian Survey - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Canadian Survey

Well folks, I have just been knighted, I mean appointed the moderator of this forum, but there is nothing to moderate!

We need to generate some activity in here!

How about with start with a little survey? I'd like to know how many Canadians we have on here!

If you are Canadian, tell us about the cars you own!

I currently have the following:

05 Subaru Impreza RS Wagon, 5MT, Crystal grey

05 Subaru Outback XT Ltd, 5MT, Champagne

{Hero Note} Just to add, I think it would be helpful if the members who post in here would follow the format which Mudge used in his very successful OBXT Survey. Mind you that you do not have to divuldge any info that you do not want to. I will leave an example below of what format I'm talking about:

Username: Hero Boots

Vechicle: 2005 OB-XT Limited; Manual Transmission

Color: Garnet Red

Purchased: Janurary 2005

Mileage: 447 miles (about to be a lot more as I head west for Winnipeg)

Pros: Love the acceleration! Great interior, great everything!
My wife loves the car, too. We've basically retired our other car to the garage.

Cons: Average MPG

Mind you all that that example was fictional as far as my information

Fast Sly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.” - James Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:13 PM

Car: 05 OB XT Ltd; 98 OB Ltd
okay, okay., I hear you.
sum up:
-2 Outbacks (wagons, both LTD versions. one normally aspirated, and the new XT.)
-1 Ford superduty p/u (powerstroke)
-1 Nissan sedan (older, but almost no mileage on it. 24k)
-recently sold the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, a little Nissan p/u that never quit. Neighbour bought it before the ink dried on the 'for sale' sign, literally. I should have asked alot more, but hey, everybody's happy....

It doesn't snow much around greater Vancouver and and the south coast of BC, but when it does, Outbacks are IMHO the best cars to be driving. Bar none! They're great in our heavy rains, too (well, once you take off the crappy OEM tires.) One of my few gripes is the pricing structure used by Fuji and Subaru. We pay roughly 10% more across the board for the same vehicles, and there's no way that a metric speedo and some cheesy bilingual SRS stickers account for the difference.
Still, despite that price hit, you can't drive anywhere in Vancouver without seeing +++ Subarus!

post #3 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:23 PM
OBXT Moderator

Car: 2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Is that true, a 10% add-on? It's not a national or provincial tariff? Seems odd given how well Subaru generally sell along the northern tier of the US, espeically along the coasts.

2005 Outback XT Limited
aka "The Turdboss"
Manual Transmission, STS

p.s. A Smith and Wesson beats four aces.

post #4 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation edit

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudge
Is that true, a 10% add-on? It's not a national or provincial tariff? Seems odd given how well Subaru generally sell along the northern tier of the US, espeically along the coasts.
It's even more then that right now.

The current exchange rate is 1.22, yet I paid 1.5 on my OBXT.

As the exchange rate dropped from 1.6 to 1.22 (as W. keeps screwing-up your economy), the Subaru prices have not changed at all. I can understand for cars made in Japan, but for a car made in the USA?!?!

Not fair!

Fast Sly

|
|
post #5 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:49 PM
jri

You folks are correct, the Subaru prices in Canada have not changed as quickly as the currency! I have ordered a new 2.5i Outback from Van Bortel in Rochester, and plan on importing it next week. After all the fees, taxes, etc. I will be saving at least $3000 cdn (assuming they let me back across the border ). The savings on the Turbo was even greater, and the US cars are available with more options and colour choices. The Outback should be easy to import, as it already has DRL's and is assembled in the US, therefore duty free.

Once the import process is complete:

Username: jri

Vechicle: 2005 Outback 2.5i; Manual Transmission

Color: Atlantic Blue / Grey

Purchased: Janurary 2005

Mileage: 0
post #6 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 AM

Glad to hear somebody did it. You probably already checked with SOA to ask what happens in the event of warranty claim while out of country (ie. US car in Canada.) I couldn't get a definitive answer or reassurance that they'd honour any and all warranty issues that might arise, but as long as you're willling and able to get the car back over the border, it shouldn't matter.
Remember that there are 2 "inspections" that get done at the border, and the US bunch wants all your documentation three days prior to your appointment time. [It means we can't just drive to the US on a whim, buy a new car, and drive back home.] The Canadian customs is more straightforward. They check that the US has certified the car for export; Canada collects the taxes and fees owing, and give you the notice that you have to take the car to an approved garage (Canadian Tire) to have it examined and certified roadworthy.
If you have the option, it's better to tow the new car back on a trailer, than try to insure it when the doc's and approvals aren't yet complete.
Good luck, please let us know how it goes, too.
post #7 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:27 PM
OBXT Moderator

Car: 2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Quote:
Originally posted by jri
You folks are correct, the Subaru prices in Canada have not changed as quickly as the currency! I have ordered a new 2.5i Outback from Van Bortel in Rochester, and plan on importing it next week. After all the fees, taxes, etc. I will be saving at least $3000 cdn (assuming they let me back across the border ).
Given their location, reputation, and your fiscal situation, my guess is that Van Bortel's does a decent business with Canadian customers. Whether they hav e additional insights regarding the transaction that would help smooth things, I don't know.

Let me get the currency thing straight. I paid roughly $30K us for my OBXT. At current exchange rates (let's call it 1.25), you'd expect to pay $40K cdn. Instead it's 10% more, as in $44K cdn?

What the ****?

2005 Outback XT Limited
aka "The Turdboss"
Manual Transmission, STS

p.s. A Smith and Wesson beats four aces.
post #8 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 PM

Yep, MSRP on the XT is $44,400. Canadian. (The only OB XT sold in Canada is the Limited model; price quoted is for the 5EAT.) And every car sold in this country has 7% federal tax added, plus 7 % or more provincial sales tax (in all provinces except Alberta.)
The costs associated with shipping across the border certainly don't justify these big MSRP differences--oh yeah, the freight/pre-delivery inspection charges are on top of that MSRP, too. (once again, they're considerably higher in Canada.)

Historically, it's funny how when the Canadian dollar tanked in the early 90's, pricing on most durable consumer goods went up proportionately (since really, it's the U.S. currency that defines prices), but after our dollar climbed back up two years ago, we are not seeing commensurate reductions in prices of consumer goods.
In fact, there's been very little downward movement in prices to reflect the increased value of our currency. (electronics especially is where you'd expect to see those reductions, but for the most part, they haven't happened.)

Despite claims to the contrary, we're still a long way from a free-trade competitive market.
post #9 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:46 PM
jri

Thanks for the tips; I was concerned about the warranty, but found out that SOA and SOC have a reciprocal agreement, and that the US warranty will be valid in Canada. We faxed off the obligatory 72 hr notice to US customs yesterday, so far so good. I also had to get a recall clearance letter from SOA. My insurance company had no trouble insuring a US vehicle, and I got a cheaper rate than my 2001 Maxima . Van Bortel has been great, working with their dealership association to figure out the necessary process.

After my journey next week, I'll itemize the experience and all the associated costs!
post #10 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Good luck w. your purcahse jri!

Yeah Mudge, our prices are too high.

An OBXT is virtually the same price as a G35x or a TL w. Dynamic package.

They still sell well because they are so well adpated to our climate. Although Subaru is better watch out, as their reliability and service reputation have been taking a beating lately.

Fast Sly

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: