Rust Proofing - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Car: Previously owned a '98 Forester / OUTBACK in future!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
We bought our '98 Forester used. It was not taken care of properly (I found out later) and was never rust proofed - Result? RUST coming through the wheel wells, now requiring body work.

I've had several other cars before this one. All were rustproofed with Krown (like, every other year) and all of them never had a spot of rust on them! Along with regular waxing, they always looked immaculate. I always got compliments.

Love our current Forester ...but oh how I WISH the previous owner had rustproofed it. Mechanically fine but the body is going. Rustproofing in my experience is just preventative maintenance.

Anyway, just my experiences.

rmwpg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Car: 2006 Baja Turbo Manual, some motorcycles - mostly older ones like me and a small Kubota tractor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
It cracks me up that the rust topic never seems to go away. Yet auto makers are using high grade steel and treating their car frames and bodies with a full soak tank during build process that makes rust for new cars these days the least of your worries.

#1 how long do you plan on owning your car? 15-18-20yrs?

#2 Does it make sense to spray stuff over the factory sealant after a vehicle has been on the road and no doubt coated all its bits with dirt and grime etc?

Even my 2001 legacy with a crease in the door for 10yrs parked in San Francisco just a few blocks in from the Pacific ocean where you get salt crust on you windows and the tools in your garage rust faster than you can keep em clean -the legacy hardly had any rust damaged at all - after a couple of years I didn't even worry about it anymore given even the exposed metal damage was showing so little signs of rust it would have taken 20yrs before it ever was an issue.

Shoot even my 1993 landcruiser which spent 4years living in that area has no rust.
- no offence Subiesailor however it's different here on the east coast of Canada - rust from salt used in excess due to Extreme Winter conditions eats holes through cars as it did through every panel of the 1997 Legacy GT I bought new and rust proofed a few times over the years. The contractors shoot big salt chunks on the road even if they Think it Might Snow. The resultant salt water which cars drive through for 4 to 6 months per year just destroys them. The minty 2006 Baja Turbo I imported from the U.S. might be a better vehicle from the rust perspective but I am interested in consensus' with regards to rust-proofing as well because from experience, we all know it makes a difference. I too read that Krowne is good but also was told in French that 'Parafine' was the ultimate - have yet to find anything about it.

rmwpg likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 09:38 PM

I believe salt that comes 'from above' (ocean air salt) and salt that comes 'from fricking everywhere---daily bathing the vehicle under, over, in and around with salt brine water and slush' (snowy areas that dump salt on roads) are two different concepts.

They both certainly take their toll on cars' metal (obviously depending upon a number of other factors), but each attacks 'from a different flank', to use a military metaphor.

I have seen many rusty, rusty Subarus here in Canada on the prairies, and I have no doubt that if their owners had applied an effective rust preventative each year, those cars would not be disintegrating before their owners' eyes. The operative word, there, is "effective", and I have no experience with after market products to say anything about that.

What it does demonstrate, however, is the relative ineffectiveness of factory rust-proofiing in the long term, especially for car owners who care for every other part of their vehicles, only to see them become condemned (fail provincial / state safety checks) long before the engines die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: