Subaru Outback Forums banner

Real World Mileage of 2015 Outback

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DrStrangevelo 
#1 ·
Natural Resources Canada has followed the EPA's lead in the US and adopted a 5 cycle test(instead of 2) for fuel economy starting with the 2015 models. It shows the 2015 Outback as getting 30 MPG-city and 40 MPG-highway. Can some of you guys that have the new Outback comment on your mileage. If you drive 60 MPH on the highway, can you get 40 MPG? What's your city/urban mileage like? Looking forward to your comments.

#2 ·
I'm not sure if you realize, but the 30/40 MPG is Imperial rather than US gallons. Also we generally use L/100km to measure fuel consumption in Canada (since our odometers are in km and our gas pumps are in L.)

It's too early to say for me (I only have about 600 km on mine) but I'm seeing about 10L/100km average according to the car's lifetime gauge, which is worse than the city rating. I'm hoping that improves as the engine is broken in. I had a 2015 Forester as a loaner longer than I've had my Outback. It had 25k km on it and I was able to average 9.2L/100km on the same (somewhat hilly) commute.

#4 ·
Check out fuelly.com for real-world info. For my part, my 6MT is handily beating the estimated 11L/100 km city rating, but I haven't achieved the highway rating yet (8.2 L/100 km). Being winter and the fact most highway driving has been well over 100 km/h, I don't expect to. Once it warms up, I hope to come close to 8 or so L/100. Been pretty close in the winter, 8.6 is my best so far, so I think I stand a decent chance.

Note fuelly doesn't recognise the 6MT as a valid transmission choice for the '15 Outback although I have asked them to add it. The vast, vast majority are CVT anyhow so I suppose it depends what transmission you're thinking about as to whether the fuelly stats will help.

Also, check into the Transport Canada test methods. Most of the tests are done with acceleration of 5 km/hr/sec, i.e 12 seconds 0-60...km/h. Most of us accelerate faster than that I would think, so I'm not sure how good an indicator the guide actually is anyhow if you drive like a normal human being.

#5 ·
Check out fuelly.com for real-world info. For my part, my 6MT is handily beating the estimated 11L/100 km city rating, but I haven't achieved the highway rating yet (8.2 L/100 km). Being winter and the fact most highway driving has been well over 100 km/h, I don't expect to. Once it warms up, I hope to come close to 8 or so L/100. Been pretty close in the winter, 8.6 is my best so far, so I think I stand a decent chance.
During my average weekly commute (light city, 17 km each way) this winter (-30C to -5C), my 2015 OB has delivered no better than 9.5 l/100 km (clear roads) or no worse than 12 l/100 km (very cold and snowy roads with lots of traffic jams).

My average return on highway road trips this past winter has been 8.2 l/100 km, but one must consider that this was done in the same temps as my city commutes (cold, but probably no colder than Edmonton) and on winter tires.

My best return in highway driving of 500 km or more was 6.9 l/100 km -- with winter tires and a surfboard strapped to the roof of the car! Mind you, I was in a slightly warmer part of the US (it was above freezing) and was being very law-abiding cruising at 100 km/hr (62 mph in a 70 mph zone).

Over all, pretty happy...

#6 ·
2015 2.5i CVT.

It is brand new, I've only got about 200km on it. So far it seems like it is going to be very good on fuel.

I'm finding what works well in the city is to accelerate up to speed moderately quickly (inst. consumption reports btw 15 to 25 LHK), then to back off to a *really* light touch on the pedal. If the eco monitor and my obdII ultragauge are correct, I can cruise along maintaining 50 and 60 kph with consumption numbers in the range of 4 LHK.

It is not unlike a pulse/electric-assisted glide approach that one might take with a hybrid.

Also: the deceleration fuel cut on this car is very aggressive. Looking ahead for red lights and lifting off the gas to coast in gear up to the light seems to work very well.

I made about a 15km city trip last night in moderate/light traffic using these techniques and my displays reported the trip in the range of 6.7 L/100km (LHK).

Tank is reporting in the mid 9s, which is mostly city, and includes segments driven by the dealer and my wife. I'll do a hand calculation at the pump when the time comes.

Overall impression is good, and I'm optimistic that I will be able to achieve reasonable fuel economy with this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.