• 1 Post By mjohnson

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2016 Outback 3.6R Limited With EyeSight - First Subaru
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
B service cost $480

Hello,
I just finished B service for my 2016 OutBack, and it cost me $480 at a dealer in Calgary.
Any idea to pay less for schedule services (A, B, C) but still acceptable by Subara Canada for warrant?

Thanks.

Shane

2016 3.6R Limited with EyeSight
2015 3.6 Wrangler Sport S with Rubicon Rims and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 AM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
@substars, You just have to prove you have done the required maintenance. I do all of my maintenance, I take a photo of the receipt and supplies and print it out to have a hard copy. On the print out, I'll write down what I checked/topped off. I do buy my oil filters from the dealership, this way they still have a record of maintenance (presumably I will be doing the OC since I buy the filters).

I did do 2 years of maintenance at the dealer because I got a cash card when I bought my car. I could justify the $100 for the oil change (A service), but B service was A with lubing brakes as I recall? The added cost was not worth it, especially since I do my own.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Touring CVT
Find a good independent garage ! it should cost you about $100 for oil change and tire rotation. All the other items in B re inspect only, good mechanics will not charge you extra for checking fluids inspection.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:01 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, Tribeca, XT6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You purchased a marketing tool and got maintenance.
You want to purchase maintenance.

In the US here is how it works, though you might find this hard to believe:

1. Buy a "30,000 mile maintenance package".

or

2. Look at your Subaru owners manual/maintenance requirements and ask the shop to perform the necessary items for 30,000 miles.

The price difference between those two scenarios can be astonishing. The first is a marketing tool, it's helpful to the organization and it's helpful to customers who don't want to think about their cars at all. If you have a few seconds and capacity you can choose option 2 and avoid the over priced marketing campaigns.

Nowhere does Subaru ever say "You are required to perform services A, B, C, or 30,000 or etc....". It's very easy and inexpensive to achieve your warranty required services without buying those marketing tools.

The service advisors might persuade or steer you to them - but thye are not required at all, nor do they actually provide you any additional service, though they'll try to sell it as if it does.

H6 OBW VDC, H6 OB Sedan, Tribeca, Lifted XT6
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:54 AM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with Tech & Eyesight
@substars - $480? Haha. That sounds like Subaru Calgary to me. Don't feel bad, I will be going in for the same service in March 2017.
Interestingly, their Service Advisor told me I can skip Service B (and do Service A again) and maintain the warranty since my km is so low (Service B is 20,000 km - I'll be around 13k) and do Service B once my KM catches up.
I don't mind paying $105 for a synthetic oil change at dealer but add $380 for:
-Tire rotation
-Remove, inspect, "service" the brakes
-Test coolant and inspect hoses and clamps
-Inspect and replace air and cabin filters.
OUCH. For that price, I hope they will have to replace the air + cabin filter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM

@Overcomer and @substars: Wait until you get to their "C package", basically the OC "A package" and add what they call brake fluid flush and inspect CVT and diff fluid levels - $680 or so. I went in for the wiper recall work and got a call that they could do that work since the car is already in the bay, it's "only" 680 I was told....
I don't trust they'll properly flush the brakes. I did the diffs last month and I know they are good and full. I have some brakes to replace and will flush then.
I did ask how much just to look at the CVT fluid (for some reason, I am loathing doing that) and he didn't have a price for that, seemed reluctant (too cheap of a job with no padding I guess).

Also to your last comment, air and cabin filter replacement costs are extra.

Last edited by mjohnson; 01-04-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: quoted wrong service pack
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Car: 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with Tech & Eyesight
@mjohnson & all Calgary Subaru owners: Calgary Subaru wants to charge $1200 for for Scheduled Maintenance "D".

Y'all gonna love this...
Schedule "D" is "Schedule A" ($105 for synthetic oil change + inspections, top-ups, lubrication, etc) + the following:
1) Rotate tires
2) Remove, inspect and service front and rear brakes
3) Test coolant, inspect hoses and clamps
4) Inspect engine & air cabin filters - replace if necessary (parts included I was told)
5) Replace spark plugs (include parts)
6) Replace transmission (I'm going to think it includes CVT fluid) and differential fluid
So that means items #1 to #6 costs $1095 bucks!!!!

The upside is I still have 4 years to save for this ;-D

Cheers
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:13 AM

For that quote, it better include parts! Maybe it was a C package they were talking about since there was no mention of spark plugs. The plugs are a PITA to change I hear, so that's probably why they ramp up the cost (you'll pay whatever ransom if you really don't want to do it). Not impossible to DIY, just tight as heck and harder if you're vertically challenged!
Overcomer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: