7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread

Thread Title: Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread

We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
I just tried it, but I couldn't get the new view to come up. I was using Atomicweb 7.01 on an iphone with ios 7.1. I had Atomicweb configured to use a generic "mobile safari" user agent string, but I also tried it set for "mobile safari-iphone" and "mobile safari-ipad" and it still wouldn't trigger.

Should I use a different user agent string, or is there another url to use to access the mobile site?

Thanks- really looking forward to this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Performance Valve Body

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
I just tried it, but I couldn't get the new view to come up. I was using Atomicweb 7.01 on an iphone with ios 7.1. I had Atomicweb configured to use a generic "mobile safari" user agent string, but I also tried it set for "mobile safari-iphone" and "mobile safari-ipad" and it still wouldn't trigger.

Should I use a different user agent string, or is there another url to use to access the mobile site?

Thanks- really looking forward to this!

Thanks for the feedback. Does it look like blank screens when you try to access the forum from your IPhone? I would check out your Safari + Atomic Web settings. Set your phone to accept cookies and it shoudl fix the issue for you.

~ Dm, community support

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Cookies were enabled during my test, and old cookies from a previous visit were already set. No blank screen- it just loaded the desktop version and rendered it normally.

I cleared my old cookies, tried it again & got the same results. Some part of the browser detection isn't working right. Any chance you can add a link to the desktop site to let us get in that way?

Performance Valve Body

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Why not just try stock safari on your iphone instead of atomic web? Or even chrome? For the sake of playing around with the new form?
KN
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM

I did load it in Safari just to see what was there. It did detect that browser, got a different version, saw the new layout. I'll be sure to play with it a little more.

Performance Valve Body

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 PM

I've played with it a little bit, here's some flash early feedback:

Nice artwork.

Many thanks for adding a font size control. I wish it also affected the font sizes in the headers, too.

Layout is wasteful- tons of valuable real estate lost to the gutter below the post author's name and avatar. Couldn't those elements fit in a subhead bar across the top of each post?

Signatures don't seem to be handled at all. I'm glad they're not appended to every post, but can't they be made available when viewing a user profile?

I'm really struggling with the swipey bar at the bottom. I haven't yet made sense of the navigation logic, and the throbbing index counter is unnecessarily distracting. Maybe I just need more time to grok the UI, but so far it feels like it was bolted on for the sake of having a swipey bit.

Thanks!

Performance Valve Body

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:28 PM

Car: 2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
Using the latest version of Safari on Yosemite (not a mobile device) it keeps kicking me into the mobile view. If I try to go back to normal view, it kicks me back to the mobile site as soon as I click a link. Ironically, the site loads normally (original theme) on my iPad. Very annoying.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM
EFT

Car: 2013 2.5i Outback Limited (Deep Indigo Pearl, #18 pkg, Popular Pkg #2, PZEV)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
Using the latest version of Safari on Yosemite (not a mobile device) it keeps kicking me into the mobile view. If I try to go back to normal view, it kicks me back to the mobile site as soon as I click a link. Ironically, the site loads normally (original theme) on my iPad. Very annoying.
Interesting! I'm getting the desktop version on Yosemite without any problems. The mobile site seems to work ok on my iPhone 4s (iOS 8.1) but I haven't really tested it out.

Do you have the Develop menu enabled in Safari on your Mac? You might have the user agent set to iOS Safari.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Car: 2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
I do use the Developer menu but I rarely code on this box. I always keep it set to default as my wife isn't very patient when things don't work as expected.

Looks like they tweaked it. It pops a javascript box to let you choose. Didn't look to see if it dropped a cookie to keep it set or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: