Towing issues? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing issues?

Hi, new to this forum, not yet an owner of a Subaru, just started looking around for an Outback Manual, up to $20K.

Hi have heard towing is not recommended for these vehicles.
Is this correct?
(Friend of mine has a 2005 Auto, got massive "slap on wrist" by her mechanic for towing a caravan & scouts trailer. She had "the towing kit" whatever that is. Her repair bill was in the $K's.)

I won't be towing a caravan, but might be towing an 8'x5' scout trailer with camping gear, canoes, etc etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5
I haven't towed a lot with mine, but not had any issues. Make sure you don't exceed the weigh limits (750kg unbraked, or 1500kg + depending on the model).

The towing kit, is basically the tow bar, and if you have an auto it is also a gearbox oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggo View Post
Hi, new to this forum, not yet an owner of a Subaru, just started looking around for an Outback Manual, up to $20K.

Hi have heard towing is not recommended for these vehicles.
Is this correct?
(Friend of mine has a 2005 Auto, got massive "slap on wrist" by her mechanic for towing a caravan & scouts trailer. She had "the towing kit" whatever that is. Her repair bill was in the $K's.)

I won't be towing a caravan, but might be towing an 8'x5' scout trailer with camping gear, canoes, etc etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Peter
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Car: 2011 3.6R Outback
Subaru's are rated for towing, but they are not rated for being towed. If you are towing, as in having a trailer follow the vehicle, stay within the rated limits. If your Subaru is being towed, all wheels must be off the ground, as in on a flat bed, or with wheel dollies or there will be damage to the Subaru.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Car: Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Send a message via Yahoo to Jondalar
I towed with mine when I had it, towed a 1300kg caravan. Did it ok but lacked torque (had the 3.0R 6cyl), and used 20-22 l/100 km. Changed to a V8 BF Falcon and averaged 16 with same van. You'd want to make sure all tyre pressures are even or it could damage the transmission I'd imagine.

Loving Turbo Diesel power
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Car: '05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual
Based on the input I've received, I'd have to say no issue with towing within the vehicle's design limits..

~Scott
'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon (Now with a new owner )
Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

'04 KYB's all around | SpecB LCA Bushings | Whiteline Rear Camber Bushings | LGT RSB | Hawk HPS Pads | Nokian WR G2 SUV's | '08 HU | Subaru Sub

Save The Manuals!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 Outback2.5i View Post
Based on the input I've received, I'd have to say no issue with towing within the vehicle's design limits..
The major issue is that most people have no idea what weight they are hauling by the time the trailer is hooked up, packed and rolling down the road. The the empty trailer weight is over 1000lbs you need to learn how to pack light and leave the kitchen sink at home per say. And with the AT do not use the over drive keep it in the lower gears. A giant box behind the car with the profile of a building + a head wind will dramatically impact your cars ability to tow.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback, Premium, Manual Transmission
I have a 2011 Subaru Outback, Premium, with manual tranny on order--should have it by the end of February. We ordered it not only for our main vehicle, but for FLAT towing behind our motor home. My understanding is the manual transmission is rated for flat towing. Sue
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:54 AM

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
I have a 2011 Subaru Outback, Premium, with manual tranny on order--should have it by the end of February. We ordered it not only for our main vehicle, but for FLAT towing behind our motor home. My understanding is the manual transmission is rated for flat towing. Sue
When you say flat towing, do you mean that it will be towed with all four wheels on the ground behind the motorhome?

If so you really need to check, I have an '08 and from memory the only way it can be towed is on a flat bed truck.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Smile Bog2

I have had a 2004 Subaru Outback for almost 10 years now and have towed an A Van Cruiseliner (1250kg) loaded for around 50,000k with no problems. Even been around Australia almost twice. The best car I have ever owned. Got an average of 11.2 L/100k's for the 20,000k trip around australia. On flat roads at 95k/hr was getting 9L/100K. The car now has 175,000K on the clock and runs as good as ever. Love it! March 2014.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Hi I'm new here.
Downgrading from Patrol\3+ton caravan to Subaru and Boat. 1.4ish ton on trailer.

'09\'10 model 2.5ltr petrol or 2 ltr diesel. manual\auto.
Which would be the better unit.
Only occasional towing.

Regards all. ( Oh Queensland here.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: