Diesel Outback problems?? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Subaru Forester, 2.5i, CVT, 2014 Outback Premium diesel CVT.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Outback problems??

Just wondering on what problems the diesel Outback is throwing up with some ks on them?
I see the DPF rates a bad mention(as do most other makes as well), but any other issues to look out for?
Am looking at replacing my Pajero with another Outback, like the 3.6 petrol, but not a lot about.
Plenty of diesel ones, which makes me wonder if they are troublesome.
Mate has a 2012 diesel Forester with 110,000ks on it, and hasnt had any issues at all. Loves the diesel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Come on people, dont be bashful, surely someone has a comment???

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 AM

Car: 2012 3.6R 5EAT Sat/Nav
Ian I have the unicorn (3.6ltr mythical beast) and a mate with an oil burner. Both are very happy with our rigs and have no complaints. He does remind me that he gets 1000km a tank though.

MY12 Outback 3.6R (mine)
MY17 XV (hers)
MY04 Impreza GX (daughters)
2010 Holden Commodore SV6 Ute 6spd Manual (sons)
2007 Husaberg 550FE (sons)
Subaru powered Ryobi Lawn Mower

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I think the 3.6 is what I will end up with(just dont know when), but a lot of diesels about, and some very cheap, which worries me.
May even go back to a 2005-2009 3.0 Premium yet, some good priced ones around.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:30 PM

I know the diesels vs the MT gearing resulted in lots of toasted and trashed transmissions.

The move to the cvt diesel concept probably solved that.

I think its just how the 2L diesel power comes on so abruptly at low revs it makes clutch use tricky and very easy to torch the clutch with the really big jump in torque at low revs.

A fellow in Spain told me he dumped the Diesel MT for the cvt due to clutch issues. He thought the same thing regarding the near zero initial power near idle then a very big step up to near full out put at just a few 100rpm later made it easy to trash the clutch.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 07:35 PM

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Premium
I would certainly hope that Subaru have overcome these issues in the later models - Diesel problems

I have also read of a lot of people complaining of clutch problems and at quite low kms as well

I had a 2008 VW Golf GTD (diesel) manual and had a lot of problems with the DPF and the regeneration process, problem was every time the car decided to do a regen. it would go into like a LIMP mode (coughing, spluttering and wouldn't rev past about 1500 RPM) problem was whenever I took it to VW and told them of the issue it wouldn't leave any error codes so they couldn't offer a solution It improved dramatically with an aftermarket ECU retune which also improved the performance, drivability and even economy (easily a 1000 kms to a tank) next drama was at around 25,000 kms on the clock when it developed the dreaded 2.0 TDI Piezzo injector issue, again never threw a code, car just ran like a dog and lost power, I sold it off at around 30,000 kms and then a year or so later VW decided it was time to honour the problem and did a recall !! Just my luck. Unfortunately IMHO I believe the longevity in new diesels has been severely compromised with the introduction of the DPF and although it might supposedly be good for the environment it does come at a price
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM

The research and development funding for diesels has been zerly zero compared to gassers. Thats changing though. MB just announced one of the largest investments in developing a new diesel engine family and new tech.So next few yrs we'll start to see some good stuff and much better thought out regarding design and durability.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:35 AM

Car: MY15 OB 3.6 Premium (Aussie spec)
Garage
Recently traded MY10 2.0D 6MT and bought a new MY15 3.6 CVT Aussie spec (Japan sourced). Prior to that a MY05 3.0R. I've loved each of them. The diesel was amazing on fuel and for towing or with a load. Clutch replaced at 110,000km (70,000 miles) which was ok but not great. No DPF issues whatsoever but got rid of it because wife hates the manual and I always wanted the flat 6 in a petrol anyway. 2005 3.0R was also amazing with only major issue being the front CV boots. Good hunting Ian.

MY06 3.0R 5AT Premium
MY10 2.0D 6MT Premium
MY15 3.6 CVT

Last edited by downundaroo; 06-21-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Wrong year for MY05 3.0R
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Car: 2012 Outback Limited 2.5
We have a huge issue with the Diesel Outback here in the states. We can't get them here!
And thanks to Volkswagen we probably never will......
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah, my 2005 3.0 had the dreaded drive shaft boot failure, but was more than happy with it otherwise.
I have my eyes on a 2013 3.6 at the moment, just need to move on it. Will see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: