Subaru Outback Forums banner

Head Gaskets, Subaru or Aftermarket?

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mallion 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Just wondering what people of used when replacing head gaskets in Australia. Gone with the original Subaru part, Subaru turbo part or a aftermarket 3 layer gasket?

I am going to have to change the head gaskets in my 2012 Outback with ~180,000km on the clock and I am leaning towards using a aftermarket 3 layer gasket supplied by All Drive Subaru in Sydney.

Cheers

#2 ·
is that a FB25B (with the oil filter on top)

or a EJ253. (or the oil filter underneath where it has been since Methuselah was a little boy).

and at only 180,000km = 112,000 miles, maybe call subaru and ask if they can do anything for you. (discount the work, discount the parts etc).

#4 ·
The better question is - make sure the heads are resurfaced and can they resurface the block? That would be better return on your effort if that can lead somewhere. But yeah...to your question....

Subaru.

If you're considering aftermarket - post which brand it is.

Truthfully the jury I think is still out on this one - there isn't enough quantifiable information to really say anything beyond anecdotal experiences. And there aren't enough of those to see a pattern. A guy that works for subaru posted a picture on another forum of a failed aftermarket (Cometic or Six Star) gasket in his shop and says he sees it from time to time. We don't know how badly those engines were previously overheated, if they were, or if the heads were resurfaced, etc. I would assume someone choosing a better gasket is more prone to do a better job...but we know how that goes. But I haven't seen any compelling data that suggests one is better than the other.

Subaru installs them without resurfacing the heads and doesn't have many failures. People I know that own their own Subaru specialty shops, are liable for issues, and are really good - use Subaru. I'll continue to side with them in lieu of great data.

#7 ·
Subaru isn't the only MLS supplier. I wouldn't let three letters make a 4 digit decision ("MLS") over an actual part number or brand as their are probably lesser MLS gaskets, but it does sound like they're picking a well known gasket, know what they're doing, and not a random vendor supplied aftermarket so you're probably golden.

Anyone that knows these engines knows the main gasket suppliers - Subaru, Six Star and Cometic and even Fel Pro gaskets are MLS and very successful, including being used by a high volume Subaru shop owner that I know. Seems clear they're using one of those.

Again what's more important is resurfacing. Get the heads and block to a dialed in to a proper RA finish and that's probably your best bet for success.

Resurfacing heads, using one of the main well known gaskets, resurfacing the block if you can - will reduce risk to really small amounts.

Dialing in the block and head RA, and digesting which gasket to use starts to get into debating really small percentages - would a custom roll cage inside my car or wearing a bullet proof vest while you're driving offer additional protection? Probably...but people aren't even concerned about that level of risk when it includes their life...so it's nothing to spend much time on for an engine block either.

I'd use Subaru, Fel Pro, or Six Star without even thinking. I'd think more about head and block prep.

#8 ·
the last of the EJ253 made, (US spec 2010-2012), (world spec like yours 2009-2012), came with MLS head gaskets.

like subaru always should have used. ....but did not.

plastic intake on the last of them in the bigger bodied outbacks etc. mark this change.

so in this case if they are selling you the original type for your particular engine it is MLS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.