Subaru Outback Forums banner

Aux-in Hack Disaster - 2005 OB LL Bean

10K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  AndrewB 
#1 ·
Oh, it's just a radio, don't sweat the small stuff, I can live. .. . . .

I set out to do the Aux-in Hack a couple weekends ago. I'm sure some of you are familiar with it:

2005 Subaru aux-in hacking - Hack a Day

Quote from the hack:

"Be extremely gentle and use a low heat solder to attach these two wires. I felt one of the legs loosen from the radio module when I was applying heat to it and I have no idea how hard it would be to reattach if it detached completely."

I was re-assembling the radio and one leg feel off. :behead: I had gambled and lost.

Anyways, I got what I wanted, I now have an Aux-in, but the consequence is I don't have any FM or AM sound anymore. :cursin:

I thought I'd share that here, and look for suggestions. If you don't know where I'm at, here's my assessment: All I need is another circuit board from inside the radio. (Picture of circuit board attached) The car is a 2005 LL Bean with Automatic Climate Controls and Subwoofer.

Anybody got any ideas where I might find this specific item? This is junkyard gambling, or maybe someone knows if Subaru will replace specific component like that. . . . . or any good replacement ideas? Crutchfield couldn't offer much help on aftermarket.

See less See more
#3 ·
Is this the hack instructions you followed?

MP3 Imput for my 2004 Subaru - Electronics Junk

If the "leg" that came off that you mentioned is just the leg of the capacitor, that should be a pretty easy repair.
1). If there's enough leg still left, you can push it though further and use that
2). Or perhaps take a leg off another component and fashion a prosthetic (not another component on the board - I mean a new resistor or something just to get the metal wire)
3). Easiest solution would be to just replace the whole capacitor

#4 ·
Look at the picture I attached. The legs with arrows pointing to them are the ones. I clipped them at the circuit board and they broke at the FM Modulator or "metal thing" where they connect at the top.

No capacitors involved.

Oh sure, there's a contact/surface where it broke, it's about the size of a pin. I can't resolder it because I don't know the tricks, or have a iron tip small enough for this small scale/size.

I have considered getting a second opinion from someone who can work on circuit boards. Shoot, I'll pay 'em $50 if they get it right. At $25 a joint, that's good money.

:soapbox:In other news, I just visited my local Subaru dealer for the first time. Asked if they could provide the circuit board. The guy said, "I can sell the whole unit for your car for $730, that's all I can do." You know, at first I was disappointed, but there's no money in selling small components, is there? Nobody fixes anything anymore. The dealership was empty of customers and there were quite a few employees. Why is nobody buying these cars? Then I thought about Columbia, SC's slogan "Famously Hot." These cars are popular in snowy conditions. My Subaru dealer in Columbia is selling image and snowmobiles.

#5 ·
Find someone in the local ham radio club, they will make quick work of it. it will probably cost you a case of beer. doesn't even look like they will need a hot air rework station, just a fine iron.

the difficulty with circuit boards of that vintage is that they were among the first to have lead-free solder. That created a few challenges at the time, but methods have improved since then.

#6 ·
Find someone in the local ham radio club, they will make quick work of it. it will probably cost you a case of beer. doesn't even look like they will need a hot air rework station, just a fine iron.

the difficulty with circuit boards of that vintage is that they were among the first to have lead-free solder. That created a few challenges at the time, but methods have improved since then.
Domestic cans? Maybe Bud Light?
Seriously, thanks Rasterman. Good suggestion.

#12 ·
I'm an electronics engineer. A picture of the damage would help my, but my guess is that it is repairable by a good bench technician. I would use 30 guage, kynar, wire wrap wire which is small and takes solder very well.

Take it to a local consumer electronics repair shop (what used to be the TV/VCR shop). Those places are getting rare, but there are a few left. I know a few HAMS that are good component level technicians, but their numbers are shrinking fast because modern gear doesn't allow for that kind of experimentation and learning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.