Subaru Outback Forums banner

Free maintence services?

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Saint J VT 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a new 2012 Outback limited and was told that I would get free oil changes and other routine maintenance services until 24,000 miles. There was no promotion that I knew of during this purchase and I didn't receive a similar offer during the purchase of 2011 Outback for my wife a year earlier.

Is this a normal part of a Subaru sales package or was I sold something that I didn't realize that I was buying?

#3 ·
Do you mean that a car salesman would do that to me?

Seriously I know nothing comes free at the dealership but it seems they should have the responsibility to disclose anything added to the price of the car.

#10 ·
Purchased my 2011 in April `11 in Santa Monica, CA and was surprised to be handed the 2year/24k maintenance plan while finishing the paperwork. They said they were starting to throw this in with all purchases. I paid nothing extra. It is basically good for 4 oil changes within the time/mileage limit. I have done three so far at 3700, 7500 and 15k. The also rotate the tires on the 7.5k intervals and complete a full page check list of inspection items. Truly no cost and the folks in SM are pretty laid back and have finished my car in under 1 1/2 hours each time, once including the two recent recall items. If only I actually liked this car more....

#12 ·
More than likely I'm going to end up owning a 2012 OB here shortly, and I came across the same 2yr/24k miles maintenance inclusion as part of the offer from a dealer here in Phoenix. That same dealer also mentioned free clear coat paint protection every six months for three years. It was implied that these bonuses were available only 'til the end of the month (May) but it wouldn't shock me if that's just a tactic to get sales NOW knowing full well the bonuses will again be available the following month(s).

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a purchase but those two items caught my attention since I hadn't heard about either from other sources until this thread.

Andy

#16 ·
My local dealer does free oil changes for life. In addition, they will pick up and drop off your vehicle. At first you think it's a great deal, but the dealer makes $$$ down the road.

Every time they do an oil change, they start looking for anything that they can service and or "fix", while they have the vehicle. And the additional stuff they do ain't free. You don't have to let them do the additional work, but most people just say yes because they don't like to hassle with the dealers service recommendations.

#18 ·
Free sometimes comes with a cost!! My sister bought a new Hyundia and got coupons for 12 free oil changes. Each time she took it in for the "FREE" oil change the service writer found $200.00-$400.00 of additional maintanence (air filters, transmission flush, cooling system flush, additives) to do. These were NOT on the manufacturer's scheduled maint..

#19 ·
Subaru has done a couple of things recently which in effect gives dealers more ability to generate income from what is basically work being suggested which is not listed by the maker of the car.

Some of those things that Subaru is doing is - these free ie inclusive oil change offerings which drives more traffic through the dealers doors and yes does generate more income for the dealer. They are also doing things that make finding official maint items less obvious to the auto owner. As they head down this route they will see more revenue for their dealers - but they will also start to see push back from the core subaru customers who in most cases are a little more aware of what is BS and what is needed for their cars regarding service visits etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.