Subaru Outback Forums banner

Driving with Confidence!

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jp1203 
#1 ·
Gotta say, even with the torrential downpour and 2"-3" of water on the road in places during this morning's commute, I have never had more driving confidence than with my 2012 AWD Subaru Outback!

#5 ·
Yah...physics sucks when it comes to driving in snow. Reduced friction and lateral forces tend to put you off the road no matter how many wheels you have driving for you.

I guess what I mean by confidence is that with normal carful winter driving all wheel drive allows you to get through what some two wheel vehicles won't.

I think I summed it up best here
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...t/43771-whats-your-longest-awd-snow-trip.html

#9 ·
Yup, becoming a little over-confident is definitely a danger. I usually have to continually remind myself to take corners a little bit slower when the road conditions aren't ideal.

We got about an inch of snow today...just enough to make the roads a little slick, but the Outback with the snow tires on it makes it feel like a dry road.

I'm positive I wouldn't make it up the driveway of the house I'm watching without AWD today, though...even with great snows I just don't see FWD making it up here. Too much more snow or ice and I think even my Outback would struggle. It's so steep that they have a 4WD Only sign on it and if I stop halfway up the hill with the FWD fuse in and my Geolandars on in the summer, I can't get going again on the gravel. Awesome view when you get up here, though!

#7 ·
...hmmm sounds like fun...maybe driving a little too fast for the road conditions? Best way to get used to all wheel drive in winter is to go to an open area...mall parking lot... and doing some sideways driving to get used to the car. The other day in the snow we had I turned off the traction control for slower driving...but at higher speeds it automatically kicked in even though I had it off. I guess it is a fail safe just in case someone forgets to turn it back on. In deep deep snow, going slow, it is better to have it off so that you can get better traction from all wheels without the system trying to balance out the power to keep you in a staight line...I mean reall slow...under under 15mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.