Subaru Outback Forums banner

Car Seat Inventory

23K views 62 replies 28 participants last post by  daga480 
#1 ·
Hi, soon-to-be first-time mom here and I was wondering what car seats folks had installed in their 4th generation outbacks and specifically:

1) which car seats are installed and are they forward-facing (FF) or rear-facing (RF)?
2) where in the back row are they installed?
3) if installed in the outboard seats, how tall is the driver and/or front passenger?
4) is there any bracing against the seat back for RF seats?
5) are you using LATCH/super LATCH/seat belt?
6) how easy was it to install? did you have to get any special equipment, like extender straps, locking straps, or angle adjusters, to install it properly?

thanks, everyone! (i'll be sure to contribute once i get my car, which won't happen until mid-march... :()

#2 ·
Dad here with a 17 month old. We started with a Graco SnugRide 30 and used that until our daughter was about to grow out of it. That has to be rear facing and we liked having the ability to her out with the seat so she could continue sleeping post trip. It was installed in the center of the rear seat, which is the safest place to put it. Now we have Britax Marathon 70. You have to keep it rear facing until your child is at least 20 lbs and they say the longer the better. We have this one on the passenger's side so someone can sit comfortably behind the driver's seat.

Now the real trick. The Britax Marathon, as with all of the convertible seats, has a strap that comes off the seat back of the baby seat (see pic). When rear facing they say to connect this strap to something on the floor as in option A of the pic. For this I used the provided short adapter strap, took the plastic cap off the seat rail for the passenger's side front seat, and looped the adapter strap around where the seat rail bolts to the car. This ensures in a rear end collision that the seat will not rotate rearward and crush my daughter into the rear seat pad.

White Line Parallel Design Diagram

#3 ·
Dad here with a 17 month old. We started with a Graco SnugRide 30 and used that until our daughter was about to grow out of it. That has to be rear facing and we liked having the ability to her out with the seat so she could continue sleeping post trip. It was installed in the center of the rear seat, which is the safest place to put it. Now we have Britax Marathon 70. You have to keep it rear facing until your child is at least 20 lbs and they say the longer the better. We have this one on the passenger's side so someone can sit comfortably behind the driver's seat.

Now the real trick. The Britax Marathon, as with all of the convertible seats, has a strap that comes off the seat back of the baby seat (see pic). When rear facing they say to connect this strap to something on the floor as in option A of the pic. For this I used the provided short adapter strap, took the plastic cap off the seat rail for the passenger's side front seat, and looped the adapter strap around where the seat rail bolts to the car. This ensures in a rear end collision that the seat will not rotate rearward and crush my daughter into the rear seat pad.

View attachment 26587
Thanks! We have a Chicco Keyfit 30, which we obviously have not had a chance to put into the Outback yet, but we will be posting an update -- hopefully this thread won't get locked or anything by then -- once we do receive the car.

We also have a Diono Radian RXT, which we plan on using once the infant car seat is outgrown, but I am curious whether it will be bracing against the headrests and against the DVD screens. I've read that the Britaxes are a bit wider and sit taller (off the car seat) but that the shells can be a little short (in length) for rear facing for an extended period of time, which is why we opted for the Radian. How much space does the Britax take up behind the passenger's seat (i.e., how short would someone have to be to be able to sit comfortably without pushing their chair back into the child seat)?

I'm hoping this thread will be useful to those getting Outbacks with small children.

#6 ·
It fits well but we do have the front passenger's set set back so it's just not touching the baby seat. I am 6'4" tall and can sit in the front passenger's seat with this setup if that's any indication. All baby seats are big and take up too much room but that's how things are now. We specifically got the Britax because it was a little shorter, ensuring I have more room in the front seat. No issues for the little one so far and she's around 25 lbs. We were just talking about switching it around yesterday.

#4 ·
We're using a Britax B-SAFE rear facing infant seat.

It fits fine. I'm 6'1" and I could sit in the front seat in front of it and have plenty of room for an all day trip. (Not that we could manage one right now!)

I haven't decided on whether to move it to the middle. Subaru recommends putting car seats in the side seats but the police department, etc.. really recommend putting them in the middle.

#5 ·
I've heard that the Britax B-SAFE base is a little larger/longer than the Chicco base and assumed it wouldn't fit when we selected the Chicco, which does fit into our current vehicles (Accord and Camry), though it's sort of a tight fit in the middle w/o moving either of our seats up. We aren't terribly tall either (5'6" and 5'10"), so we must either be oddly proportioned or just prefer sitting more reclined, OG style. Either way, I was told that the B-SAFE would likely not comfortably fit in our current vehicles from someone who owns one.

Have you attempted a middle-seat install with the B-SAFE? (I'm assuming you're using the belt.) I've read that the middle seat is a bit lumpy, which can make it harder to get a tight install, but that is probably the position we will use with the Chicco.

#8 ·
I used the Chico Keyfit 30 when my son was an infant, it fit in the back and left enough room for me to sit comfortably in front of it on the passenger side. I don't think I would have been comfortable driving, but it was ok to sit. I'm 6'3. My wife had plenty of room.

We have since used a couple of rear facing convertible seats. I'm not sure what the first on was (sorry) but I now have a Safety First Alpha Omega and it fits well. For both of the rear facing convertibles, I have had to roll up a towel and place it under the rear of the seat to get it to fit at a proper angle, but I had to do the same in my Hyundai and my Forester. The manufacturer suggests this method, so I am comfortable with it.

The Safety 1st one doesn't take up as much room as the other while rear facing, but I don't think I could drive comfortabley with either one behind the driver's seat.

The recommendation is now to leave your child rear facing as long as they meet the seat's safety requirements. That's my plan. I don't plan to have another one until mine will be big enough to be forward facing... the rate he's growing it might be sooner than later lol.

As for using a tether while rear facing, both of my sears explicitly state NOT to use the tehter while rear facing, only while forward facing and to attach to the tether anchor on the car. The seat is designed to have some give and bounce up in a crash. The 5 point harness is there to hold them tight in the seat.

Here is a great article I read detailing the benefits and mis-understood facts about rear facing v forward facing.

How long should I keep my child in a rear-facing car seat? | BabyCenter

#13 ·
I used the Chico Keyfit 30 when my son was an infant, it fit in the back and left enough room for me to sit comfortably in front of it on the passenger side. I don't think I would have been comfortable driving, but it was ok to sit. I'm 6'3. My wife had plenty of room.

We have since used a couple of rear facing convertible seats. I'm not sure what the first on was (sorry) but I now have a Safety First Alpha Omega and it fits well. For both of the rear facing convertibles, I have had to roll up a towel and place it under the rear of the seat to get it to fit at a proper angle, but I had to do the same in my Hyundai and my Forester. The manufacturer suggests this method, so I am comfortable with it.

The Safety 1st one doesn't take up as much room as the other while rear facing, but I don't think I could drive comfortabley with either one behind the driver's seat.

The recommendation is now to leave your child rear facing as long as they meet the seat's safety requirements. That's my plan. I don't plan to have another one until mine will be big enough to be forward facing... the rate he's growing it might be sooner than later lol.

As for using a tether while rear facing, both of my sears explicitly state NOT to use the tehter while rear facing, only while forward facing and to attach to the tether anchor on the car. The seat is designed to have some give and bounce up in a crash. The 5 point harness is there to hold them tight in the seat.

Here is a great article I read detailing the benefits and mis-understood facts about rear facing v forward facing.

How long should I keep my child in a rear-facing car seat? | BabyCenter

Hm, this is what confuses me a bit. I've read elsewhere that most experts would advise using the tether anchor -- and by that, I mean a belt that wraps around some part of the car frame (by the ground), effectively securing the car seat at another point other than lower/LATCH anchors -- since the benefits outweigh the risks. Is that what you mean by tether anchor?

The Car Seat Lady - The LATCH System

#11 ·
When I was a LEO car seat installer, Britax Roundabout was the best seat.

#12 · (Edited)
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you define "best"? My understanding is that most seats have to pass the same safety test requirements here in the US. Are there ones that rate better based on other, elective standards (like in Europe, for instance)? Or do you mean based on ease of installation, etc.? Thanks!

#16 ·
Subaru Outback 2011:
Twins....
Two Chicco Keyfit 30's (left and right). Using the latch system, very easy, rear facing. I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5' 4", we could still drive with the seat in the proper position. We NOW have two Britax BOULEVARD 70-G3, we did have them rear facing from 1-2 years-old. Again, we could put the front seats in the proper positions for us. Then, we just flipped them forward facing and again, there is even more room between the front seats and rear car seats. We used Latch for both configurations. Also, my wife can sit between both kids in their Britax seats. No bracing needed to get the proper fit either. Easy to install too. Good luck!

#17 ·
7 week old baby girl...

1) Graco Snugride 30
2) Center seat
3) n/a
4) n/a
5) Seat belt (as stated, LATCH cannot be used in the center). I actually prefer the seat belt to LATCH.
6) No special installation accessories needed.

I actually have the Snugride 35 base in my car, which is a little nicer than the one that came with the seat. It has a way to lock the seat belt in place and a knob to adjust the angle. The included Snugride 30 base (in my wife's car) has to use the car's seat belt locking mechanism (where you have to pull it all the way out until it clicks upon retracting - apparently all cars do this). The angle is adjustable on the SR30 base, but it only has 3 positions instead of an infinite knob adjuster. The SR30 bas has a built-in level, while the SR35 base does not. A level is not necessary as long as you learn how to eyeball it correctly.

When it's time to move up to a convertible, I don't know what to get yet.

I would definitely recommend having your seat inspected by a pro. They do not advise the use of add-ons (baby inserts, locking straps, etc). We had Children's Hospital do it, but your local FD or PD might be able to help.

Also, some good reading here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ook-here/26621-baby-infant-toddler-seats.html

#18 ·
7 week old baby girl...

1) Graco Snugride 30
2) Center seat
3) n/a
4) n/a
5) Seat belt (as stated, LATCH cannot be used in the center). I actually prefer the seat belt to LATCH.
6) No special installation accessories needed.

I would definitely recommend having your seat inspected by a pro. They do not advise the use of add-ons (baby inserts, locking straps, etc). We had Children's Hospital do it, but your local FD or PD might be able to help.

Also, some good reading here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ook-here/26621-baby-infant-toddler-seats.html
We actually did have a certified installer (at a local FD) put in our car seat (the Chicco) -- this after my husband attempted it after reading through the manual -- and we both thought that my husband's install was more secure (and at a better angle). He, the installer, had also not really heard of Diono/Sunshine Kids and seemed to prefer outboard seat installation, though it seems that the mantra is that the middle seat is the safest. :confused:

Also, congrats on your new addition! Almost over the 2 month hump... ;)

#19 ·
We use two Graco Argos 70's in both our Outback & WRX. Our kids 1) 4-yrs and 2) 18-mos like them and seem to be very comfortable in them. There are tons of other seats for either more money or less out there, these Graco's are on the pricey side at $199 ea. But they seemed to be built extreamly well and are comfortable for our kids, plus easy to load them in & out of.

1) which car seats are installed and are they forward-facing (FF) or rear-facing (RF)?

Me: Graco Argos 70, (FF)

Me: Outboard positions

3) if installed in the outboard seats, how tall is the driver and/or front passenger?

Me: I'm 5'6" my wife is 5'4"

Me: If you mean LATCH system yes, I'm somewhat confused what you are asking here exactly??

Me: Using the LATCH points that come with the car, but my wife runs the seat belt through the car seat as well for extra protection. She is a Firefighter so shes a bit overboard on safety at times.

6) how easy was it to install? did you have to get any special equipment, like extender straps, locking straps, or angle adjusters, to install it properly?

Me: Pretty straight forward, probably took 10-20 minutes tops each seat

#20 ·
We use two Graco Argos 70's in both our Outback & WRX. Our kids 1) 4-yrs and 2) 18-mos like them and seem to be very comfortable in them. There are tons of other seats for either more money or less out there, these Graco's are on the pricey side at $199 ea. But they seemed to be built extreamly well and are comfortable for our kids, plus easy to load them in & out of.

Me: Graco Argos 70, (FF)

Me: Outboard positions

Me: I'm 5'6" my wife is 5'4"

Me: If you mean LATCH system yes, I'm somewhat confused what you are asking here exactly??

Me: Using the LATCH points that come with the car, but my wife runs the seat belt through the car seat as well for extra protection. She is a Firefighter so shes a bit overboard on safety at times.

Me: Pretty straight forward, probably took 10-20 minutes tops each seat
Sorry for the confusion. I was wondering if anyone's car seat was actually bracing/leaning against the back of the driver or front passenger's seat back/head rest. I think this varies from car manufacturer to car manufacturer. (I don't know what Subaru's position is on this.) I'm also not certain if anyone would intentionally brace the car seat against the seat back, when not prohibited, or avoid this to ensure a safer seat in the instance of a crash.

Also, RE: #5) I was wondering why more people don't do this.

#23 ·
We have a 16 month old daughter that started in a Keyfit 30 in the passenger outboard seat. We have now moved up to a Recaro Pro Ride (I think!) rear facing behind the driver. No problems with room for me, but it is hard to install. We used latch but had to roll up a towel to get the angle right. We hope to keep her RF for as long as possible until we swap her over to FF.

#24 ·
I'm seeing some people are using the rear facing car seats in the rear center? I thought the preferred location were either behind the driver or passenger side seats? We have a 6-month old, rear-facing on the rear passenger size in a Graco, Snug-Ride 30 using the latch system. I will also note that I have the base so tight that it actually is lifted up slightly at the end of the seat, but it's leveled correctly. I'm now wondering if I have gone about this all wrong?

#27 ·
Have you had your install inspected? I would GUESS, and this is only a guess, that if the angle/level is correct and you're getting less than an inch of motion along the belt path (preferably less or none), that you're good to go.

I think with our Chicco, using a shoulder belt install, that it's more important to get the lap portion of the seat belt very tight instead of the lap AND the shoulder portion. We also found that the seat lifted somewhat with the shoulder portion totally tightened and ended up being more prone to loosening that way. (We used hard blows against the base to see how quickly the base loosened.) My husband, an engineer, was theorizing that tightening too much on the shoulder portion would actually introduce more movement in an accident given that it is not flat against the seat bottom and is actually forcing the seat up. Of course, I defer to any true experts on this board...

#25 ·
There has been great information here about the types of car seats, so I will not add anything. Instead, I’ll make a tip about keeping your car clean. My kid’s car seat is in the rear passenger side seat and installed with the latch system. Before installing it, I took a large beach towel and covered the top AND sides of the rear seat and tucked the towel in place. Hence none of the Subaru fabric is showing; every month I take the towel out and launder it. My little prince scampers up it with his dirty shoes everyday. I also purchased a canvas seatback (note BACK) protector and installed that on the passenger seat in FRONT of his car seat: kids LOVE kicking the seat in front of them with wet, muddy, filthy shoes. I recommend a seatback protector that wraps around to the front...those shoes seem to get everywhere. Those two actions have saved my Outback.

Christopher

#26 ·
I'm taking this a bit OT, but has anyone had any luck using a non-custom bench seat (dog seat) cover? I'm wondering if use of such a product would compromise the safety of a car seat assuming it has all the proper access points for LATCH and seat belts. (My thought is that in an accident, the car seat could slide a little more if the cover/towel/etc. isn't tacky enough or sufficiently secured to the seats.)

#28 ·
That latch system is pretty butch, if properly installed and tightened (probably true for all good systems). Plus it has a third point that buckles down right next to your hatchtop - yes, a long belt holding the top of the car seat under tension stretching from the top of the seat to the hatch exit. Trick is to tension everything up real good before throwing the kid on there, after installing any towels or protective coatings.... It ain't going anywhere. Well, I hope, anyways...but my wife and I tug like mad to tighten up all the attachment points. :) Leaves an impression in the seat, I've noticed.

#29 ·
1) which car seats are installed and are they forward-facing (FF) or rear-facing (RF)? Diono Radian RXT, forward facing
2) where in the back row are they installed? Passenger side
3) if installed in the outboard seats, how tall is the driver and/or front passenger? I'm 5'8, hubby is 6'
4) is there any bracing against the seat back for RF seats? n/a
5) are you using LATCH/super LATCH/seat belt? we're using SuperLATCH
6) how easy was it to install? did you have to get any special equipment, like extender straps, locking straps, or angle adjusters, to install it properly? Pretty easy, but the anchors in OB were hard to get to. No special equipment needed

ETA: I run a private community online for moms if you're interested. :)

#30 ·
With the Marathon, one thing to note is that it's a tall seat. Once your child is a toddler, you may need to get a toddler seat so they can get in/out of the seat by themself. Our 4 year old either needs a lift from mom or dad (which usually causes one of us to bump our head) or to climb onto the backseat leather and then into the car seat.

When we have a real toddler seat in the car, the kiddo can jump into position without any help. The downside is that he hadn't figgured out the shoulder belt thing so we still have to lean back to buckle/unbuckle that.

With either seat, we always put it in the middle (preferred) or behind the passenger seat (if longer trip so kiddo doesn't turn his head watching a DVD). Passenger seat because my wife is shorter than I am so it leaves more room to prevent backset kicks.

Just remember if you put the seat next to the doors, activate the child lock. We also got the Britz Ez-cling (Amazon.com: Britax 2 Pack EZ-Cling Sun Shades, Black: Baby) for the rare supper sunny days in Seattle. They work great, but I wish they were a bit bigger. When not in use they do under the rear hatch mat.

#31 ·
We have two Britax Boulevard 70's. One is a 2009 model and the order a 2011. We like the Britax product. They are USA made and are worth the extra money. I did a lot of research pror to purchasing. Both units are forward facing at this time. Convertible seats while they have the capability to be rearward facing its really difficult to get the babies in an out and they dont seem to be "designed" to be rearward facing even though they truly are. As for pumpkin seats we had the Chiccco Keyfit 30. It was a great unit for our son and daughter. My advice would be to get the pumpkin seat Chicco Keyfit unit, but keep it in the car and carry your baby in a sling, not in the pumpkin seat as no matter how buff you are those things are brutal on your back and frame in general. Oone thing AI will say is that with two there is no more room in the back of the outback. We think that once we can move one child to a booster we will gain a seat for an additional passenger!

#33 ·
We run center and driver side for our two kids primarily because Dad is the daily day care hauler. If mom did the every day pick up and drop off we would have the seats sitting left and right and not center due to the difficulty of hoisting a kid into the center spot. Though for me its not a big deal.

We keep the passenger side rear seat open given we haul a grand parent several times a week which case we fit two kids two parents and a grand parent in the car enough to make moving a kids seat to center position more of a hassle than its worth etc.

Also we have found on car trips having that passenger side rear seat space open it works as a nice changing table if the rear hatch is packed full ie no space for a quick diaper change. Also older sister often entertains younger brother not to mention at times a parent ends up sitting back there to entertain or feed a kid etc.

The nice thing is any earlier generation Outbacks were far too narrow to fit two seats and an adult the GEN 4 is now wide enough to support this type of use- which is why we replaced our old Subaru with the Gen4 to start with we needed the rear seat room / width to use the car more effectively

#34 ·
Awesome info in this thread. Please keep it coming (due in April). We're inheriting a less-than-one-year-old Graco Snugride 22 that my nephew just outgrew so haven't really done any research, but will probably need to get our own convertible seat for after that. Also very, very interested in strategies to keep my Limited leather looking pristine (I know, good fing luck with that, right?). Any other must have car accessories and brand/model recommendations -- mirrors, sunshades?

#35 ·
LOL my 3yr old flipped out a few days ago when her little brother got his hands on her sandwhich. Which she was eating sort of she was beyond tired and mad about something etc. Anyway upon discovering her little brother was eating her lunch she flipped out taking it to volume 11 ha ha. Then proceeded to puke all over the place. The joys of having kids.

Seat protection? We got a cheap target eddybaur kids seat pad which hangs around the head rest has a back and bottom on it with a little netted pocket on the front that hangs down the front of the seat. This goes under the kids car seat and keeps most of the kid debri or puke etc off the car seat. Most!! Not all of it.
You need to pull the car seat out once in a while and do a clean up plus check the kids seats adjust for the growing kid etc and reinstall them. Thats about all you can do.

AS for the don't feed your kid in the car rule. LOL If your active parents and you go lots of places with kids in tow - you either don't go - or the kids end up eating in the car. So your choice on that rule. Besides its a Subaru not a freaking collectors car worth big money LOL. High end custom car seats will cost you around $1300 so if kid abused seats bother you - when they get older and don't screw up seats get the seat covers replaced

#36 ·
#37 ·
bradz one of the dads I see doing drop off has one in his prius. Goofy looking seat looked really pricy. Turns out he had major back issues and that seat was more or less the only way he could get the kid into and out of the car without putting him self in traction laying flat on his back.

#38 ·
Sunshinkids Radian XTSL user here with super Latch. Great seat that is not near as bulky (can fit 3 across) as most yet consistently ranks at the very top of the list for car seats. Very easy to install. They are a narrow seat that takes up a lot less room. Downside is they are about the heaviest seat on the market. When my daughter was rear facing we used a Snugride 32.

#39 ·
My 3yr old for as long as I can recall has always loaded and unloaded the same way. I ended up with this approach after parking in tight city parking for so long where people leave little to no room to get the car door open. She puts both her arms over my one arm and I lift her in or out of the car with one arm - which allows me to stand sideways when space is tight and also door opening space is limited.

Done it that way for so long its not even a thought process - one handed unbuckle then she throws her arms over mine and I lift her out. For the center seat he's still in the snap and go type seat but almost too big for it. That is a passenger side exit opposite side from the older sister driver side exit. And is a two handed effort but at least you can get into the car and unload the kid and then squeeze out of the door vs having to get both shoulders through the door to do a two handed kid extraction or kid belting in effort.

#40 ·
I have a 21 month old. We started with the Graco Snugride 30 on the center rear seat using the seat belt. It was fairly easy to install and we had no issues.

When my daughter turned 1 years, we switched to the Britax Boulevard 70 RF install in the same center rear seat. In order to get a good install, I used a couple of towel underneath to get a better fit. The install was with the seat belt and the tether anchor was place on the end of the passenger seat railing.

Just last week, I changed the Britax Boulevard to front facing since my daughter getting heavier and taller. The front install was far easier to than the rear. Same install in the center seat but the tether anchor now is thru the rear gate center anchor point. One thing I have to admit, the Britax Boulevard is fairly wide so if you put it the center, it will make the outward seats feel really cramped.

#45 ·
I have a 21 month old. We started with the Graco Snugride 30 on the center rear seat using the seat belt. It was fairly easy to install and we had no issues.

When my daughter turned 1 years, we switched to the Britax Boulevard 70 RF install in the same center rear seat. In order to get a good install, I used a couple of towel underneath to get a better fit. The install was with the seat belt and the tether anchor was place on the end of the passenger seat railing.

Just last week, I changed the Britax Boulevard to front facing since my daughter getting heavier and taller. The front install was far easier to than the rear. Same install in the center seat but the tether anchor now is thru the rear gate center anchor point. One thing I have to admit, the Britax Boulevard is fairly wide so if you put it the center, it will make the outward seats feel really cramped.
I agree, the boulevards are huge. Having two of them makes the back seat only for the kiddos

#47 ·
I have a Britax Advocate on the passenger side and a Chico Keyfit on the drivers side. The Britax is huge, but worth it for the side impact protection...our only problem is when we fly we have to use a roundabout since the Advocate doesn't fit in an airplane seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.