Subaru Outback Forums banner

MidCity Subaru in Chicago, IL

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ryan_W 
#1 ·
Worked with them a few weeks ago. So far the experience has been pretty typical.

I negotiated a price over email with the old general manager (since been fired) but the new manager was still ok with my price. I emailed 15 area dealers and only MidCity was willing to negotiate AT ALL.

Unfortunately, because of the staff transition I am now working with a salesperson who, I don't think, fully appreciated the deal I got, because he okayed the deal without seeing the full spec sheet and then seemed surprised at the options I had secured at my price.

Either he wasn't paying attention or he was hoping I would slip up, because he tried to get me to sign for a lesser car with fewer options several times before finally writing down all the options I had negotiated.

All in all it was not a bad experience, typical car dealer lies about "expedited" ordering or "VIP" service to gin up a higher holding cost. No hard sell on the extras or warranty at the order stage, but he did ask for my social security number to run a credit check, which is illegal in Illinois without written permission, and I didn't give him written permission. I figured since I am bringing outside financing I would give him a pass to let him "win" on what is otherwise a great deal for me (maybe not for him).

Since I put down my $1,000 (as a sign of good faith on a great deal) I haven't heard a word from them. Hopefully I will have more good news to report after I pick the car up and there won't be any tricks waiting for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Blah. I tried to buy a used car from them once.

It was priced high (because dealership). I offered a fair and still more than the car was worth price. All their nope. Walked away. Laughed slightly when the car I was trying to buy was still on their lot 3 months later at $2000 below what I had offered them.

Really, Grand Subaru is the only Chicago dealership I'd do business with.

#3 ·
I tried to buy a 2009 Forester from them. It had 103,000 miles and I suggested they throw in a timing belt change as it was due at 105K. They took the stand the car didn't have 105K so it wasn't due yet. I dropped it, but they kept in contact trying to sell that car for a few months longer.

#4 ·
Yeah I had high hopes for Grand Subaru, but they wouldn't move on price. Very nice people though.

I'm factory ordering, so not too worried about service dept or shady markups. Once I get the vehicle, I won't be back. I got my quote in writing. Midcity has been totally non responsive but if the car comes through I will at least give them 3/5 for that. We'll see in five weeks or so.

FWIW, Countryside came in very low and was also very polite and communicative the whole way through. I wish I didn't have to dump them over $150 but thats a week of groceries and they could have come down.

If MidCity screws me, I'll definitely be headed to Countryside, or Grand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.