Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013, Outback, Limited 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA

I have been going to Carter Subaru for over a decade. Unfortunately, their focus on quality and customer has taken a wrong turn.

I recently decided to purchase a new Subaru from Carter, but was concerned about the amount of cement dust from the nearby construction and wanted to make sure cars were not brushed or put through an auto car wash. The salesperson told me it was not a problem because they only did light power washing. It was cloudy on initial inspection of the car, so I did not see it right away, but once I pulled the car in the garage, I quickly realized the car was badly scratched over every inch, including headlight, taillights, paint, etc. After seeing pictures of the car, Carter had us go to a detailer and we also took it to a painter - both indicated the car had possibly been brushed with a contaminated brush and not enough water. I asked the salesperson about this and she e-mailed that car had not been washed with a brush or gone through a car wash.

Carter was good about offering to take the car back, and I planned to order another car from them. After getting the check back, and before starting the process to order a new car, my wife and I wanted to better understand how the scratches happened, so we went to the lot to compare a few cars that had just come in (and still had some of the protective covering) to cars that had been in the lot for a while. Without exception – cars that still had the protective covering were in great shape, and cars without it were badly scratched. We then realized that we were walking past the wash bay. We watched as they drove a brand new car drove into the wash bay, applied a very small amount of water, and then scrubbed the entire car with a brush that was never rinsed or even returned to the bucket.

In an instant, I went from feeling good about the fact that Carter Subaru would give me my money back for a damaged car, to absolute disbelief. I could not believe this was how the cars were washed. I could not believe that, even after I told them the professional detailer they recommended told me the car probably had been brushed, they denied it and would only say the damage must have occurred at the factory or in port. I certainly could not believe that I was explicitly told my car had not been washed with a brush, when it had been.

We went back and asked for the Sales Manager and explained what we had seen in the wash bay. He asked us to go into a room so that we would not “sour other customers.” I then told him what we had seen by comparing cars before and after detailing. He responded “we’re not going to change our process.” I would hope that, even if some or most people did not notice the damage, he would still have wanted to avoid unnecessarily damaging the cars, especially as it could be remedied with simple improvements to the process. We asked one more question, but only received another harsh response. My wife and I got up and left.

If at any point in the process someone had simply apologized and been honest about how the car had been washed, I would have been fine. I don’t understand why we were treated as we were, especially after we had been told one thing about the car washing process, and then saw for ourselves it wasn’t true. It also doesn’t make sense to us how, knowing the cars are being damaged, Carter Subaru won’t even consider making improvements to its detailing process. I tried bringing my experience to the attention of the owners of Carter Subaru, but my letter remains unanswered.

After all these years, I am not so much angry or upset by this experience as I am sad to end a long relationship with Carter Subaru. I am actually writing this because I hope it makes a difference to future car buyers and saves others from going to Carter Subaru and experiencing the same thing. I would strongly recommend checking cars when sunny or with a light if buying from this dealership. We went to a number of other dealerships and were amazed at how much better cars looked elsewhere.

Picture is worth a thousand words. Please be aware that although these pictures only show scratches in line with the light, they run over every inch of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA-rear-taillight.jpg   Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA-front-headlight.jpg   Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA-front-bumper.jpg   Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA-hood-protector.jpg   Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA-sun-side-paint.jpg  

Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA-sun-paint.jpg   Carter Subaru, Seattle, WA-body-paint-2.jpg  
Subquest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

carter was the only other subaru dealer i was considering buying from. mike scarff subaru in auburn is where i decided on and am glad i did. went to a number of other subaru dealers before i bought my outback and they all suck, just like any kind of lying, swindling, only out to rip you off stealership. mike scarff in auburn is different, i went back a year later and traded in my wife's '08 impreza for a '12 impreza. i will probably buy from mike scarff for life. my favorite subaru shop only buys from them too...

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback Premium 2.5

That's very unfortunate. I've been using Carter since I moved up to Seattle 5 years ago. I had a VW Jetta then. I purchased from them because they have been the most honest dealer I could find. When I picked up my car in March, I didn't have this problem. I'm sorry that you've had a poor experience with them, I really am. I hope that they change their policies and not lose other customers. A few of my friends are looking at buying from Carter. I'll show them this post and let them look for themselves.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback 2.5L CVT Premium, Skyblue

Well hopefully the owner gets back to you. If not, you will have your answer.

Common sense, isn't common.

Novablue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue View Post
Well hopefully the owner gets back to you. If not, you will have your answer.
It seems like it would be worth letting Subaru of America know what happened and how it was handled by Carter. If nothing else, it may prevent them giving Carter some kind of recognition award that is not deserved.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013, Outback, Limited 2.5

That is an excellent suggestion. I just finished my letter to Subaru of America and included pictures.
Subquest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

At least SoA will respond, even though there is little they can really do.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback

I reported a dealer to SOA once.
SOA advised me they would enter my information concerning their dealer into their dealer file.
SOA apologized for their dealers sorry performance. I didnt expect that from them!
linkbelt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Damage

So if you have them service your Sub here, will they 'wash' your car resulting in damage?

Unbelievable!
Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for up loading the pictures. every once in a while someone comes on here and complains and... well... they are just nit picking.

What happened to you is atrocious. The fact that they said nothing is wrong is just sad. 5 years from now when they go bankrupt they will blame the economy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: