Subaru Outback Forums banner

Radio cut out

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BHoll 
#1 ·
About 2hrs into my road trip today, the radio in my 05obxt cut out, both defrost buttons started flashing and the A/C light on the display lit up very brightly. After a few seconds, all returned to normal with no permanent issues. Is my headunit hvac on its way out?

Thanks

#3 ·
If it's the premium radio with 6CD changer that's integrated with the heater/AC controls, there's a "history" here of problems with soldering on the main printed circuit board. The symptoms are often that the controls "freeze"; the radio plays but can't be changed, and the same for the HVAC, but it might not be limited to these effects.

There's quite a few threads here about the same issue, for example:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-08-o-b-radio-hvac-control-lighting-prob.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ck-h6-air-conditioning-broken.html#post445333 (See the links as well)

This one details the solder issue:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-08-o-b-radio-hvac-control-lighting-prob.html

This doesn't mean that's the problem in this particular case, but there are clear similarities that warrant consideration.

#5 ·
. . .there is still no published TSB for this. Either under Accessories or HVAC.
That's right, but not surprising. The failures seem to show up only after a few years when the 100% warranty is past so the "costs" and associated information/statistics on failures isn't getting back to Subaru.

It's the same with the wiring in the flexible boot going to the rear gate in the 2005-9. Like the radio/HVAC that can pose a danger if the HVAC can't be controlled, e.g. to get windshield defrost, broken wires going to the rear gate can disable the wiper, defroster, and the high brake light and, in some cases reported here, have caused failure of the clearance lights (all around) and headlights. Again, the wires tend to break after the basic coverage is ended. Moreover, while some posters have reported that a dealer replaced the harness (at significant cost), most report either repairing the breaks or having someone do it. Consequently, there's an absence of replacement rear gate harnesses being ordered from Subaru, so there's no corporate stats showing an unusual replacement rate.

Wish Subaru would be following these forums -- it would give them a real look at what's happening in the real world. But then again, do they want to know? LOL

#6 ·
So I did a quick check on alt and battery, w/ all the accessorys on high along w all the lights on. It measured 14.0v at the terminals. I k ow this isn't a perfect test but, I think it clears the charging system?

I plan on reading those links but for a quick answer, should I look for an 08-09 LGT OBXT radio hvac unit? They have replaceable headunits?

Thanks for the help so far guys

#7 ·
So I did a quick check on alt and battery, w/ all the accessorys on high along w all the lights on. It measured 14.0v at the terminals. I know this isn't a perfect test but, I think it clears the charging system?
Kinda clears the Alt, but not the battery. I have seen strange behaviors from bad batteries, make a stop at someplace that offers free testing like "Autozone" or if your a AAA member they can come to you and test on site (just don't buy the Battery from them- Way spendy)...

Still could be something like the stated HVAC problem... But rule out the easy stuff first...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.