Subaru Outback Forums banner

Hard to find part

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Fraserh 
#1 ·
:1zhelp: Iv done some extensive research and finally discovered that the McIntosh stereo system in a 2004 Japanese import OB is in fact a separate deck that isn’t integrated into the HVAC controls. Meaning that swapping out the McIntosh stereo for an aftermarket deck isn’t going to be the huge problem i first though.

The only problem I now face is finding the trim piece to go around the newly installed deck to hide the void either side. Iv found a place that sells a genuine Subaru kit to swap the deck out but it isn’t that cheap. My local Subaru dealer wanted over $1,000. I did however find this guy, that sells the kit at a far more reasonable price. http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_54_60&products_id=123

Problem im facing is that the only bit out of this kit I need is the plastic surround trim. Does anyone know where I might be able to find just the trim part alone? My vehicle has the matt black HVAC unit, so id prefer to get one in the matching matt black.

Iv discover that Cruchfield do a trim kit, that I might be able to cut off the bottom part with a dremel tool since mine has a climate controls, but its only available in silver, so means im going to have to re-spray it as well to suit? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120998901/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=3121

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to get this genuine trim part alone? Know a canny parts supplier?

See less See more
#2 ·
1st off you need to make sure you're looking at the correct year parts for your car. The Crutchfield piece you mention is not for your car. It may not even fit the upper section even if you customize it. If you search & read thru some of the different threads on stereo changeout for the OB, Gens 1-3, you'll notice most people had difficulty with it. I doubt if you have already searched for the part you want on the web and haven't found it, it ain't for sale separately. Of course that's assuming you have a part number for it and have checked under that. If you haven't, then my other suggestion is to get the part number then do a search for it in Google or whatever search engine you use. Remember to be somewhat descriptive in the search.

#3 ·
Ah thanks for that info Mtboutback. Yea have noticed that a lot have had problems with the swap.

I got the part number (66065E) from my local dealer, and iv done a google search but nothing came up? Looks like its a part you cant actually buy unless you buy the entire HVAC unit?

Seems crazy to me that a simple plastic trim piece cannot be purchased?

#4 · (Edited)
If you want a aftermarket stereo in the Outback, switching out the McIntosh one, you won't buy the PEM Subaru piece at all. You need to see if a company like Metra or Scosche makes a single DIN piece for your car.
I saw your other thread on this same thing with the pict of the interior. Is that the actual car or one like it? What actual year is this pict you provided from? It maybe that overseas models are different than USDM versions as in newer interior that we didn't get til the following year.

I did find this because your's is considered a JDM version in New Zealand
http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?products_id=104

#5 ·
Thanks for the response mtboutback. Here is a picture of the actual stereo.

Iv already pulled the console out and the stereo is in fact a single din unit, with an oversized face plate to suit the vehicle. So I can confirm that its defiantly just the face plate I need.

I did find this? What's your thoughts? Radio Surround Matt Black TO FIT Subaru Liberty GT MY05 | eBay

It seems to be that, or buy the Metra or Scosche part and take to it with a hacksaw and then re-paint it to suit as they seem to only be available in silver?

#6 ·
Well that part you mentioned above is for a double din only. That AVOJDM site does have all the pieces you need and shows an exploded view of the parts.
Subaru's dumb idea to connect the AC to the stereo is a PIA. I just last week finished my changeout of the stereo in my 05 Outback 2.5i w/manual AC controls. It was difficult enough without having to worry about the disconnect of those controls. One thing that will come up if you go thru with the changeout, the AC has a cable that goes to the hot/cold gear that's a REAL pain to take off/put back on when taking out the OEM stereo. Well at least in the US but I'm sure you'll have the same issue. That will take the wind out of your sails right there, but the benefits when finished are worth it.

Here's a thread that shows that cable in case you have the same problem
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...tereo-now-my-heat-doesnt-get-warm-05-obw.html

#8 ·
I have that JDM kit installed in my USDM car. I haven't seen the upper trim piece sold separately anywhere.

It's obvious that most of the expense in the kit is for the standalone HVAC controller, but you already have that, in combination with the McIntosh upper trim bezel.

edit: just saw your ebay link- that looks like it would do the trick.

I recall that the one in my JDM kit wasn't open at the bottom- there wasn't much of a bezel edge, but it wasn't completely open like this one.

At 22 bucks it seems hard to go wrong though...

#9 ·
Thanks Raserman.
At 22 bucks it seems hard to go wrong though...
yea thats what im figuring.

Id prefer to buy the genuine part, but seems like i cant, unlesss someone has an old one lying about? The genuine item has a slight curve to the face which im guessing this one wont and il have to figure a way of attaching it myself, but hey its better than paying $350 for one small piece of plastic dash trim?

#10 ·
You'd be surprised how flexible they are- As I said, I have the JDM (RHD) kit installed in my USDM (LHD) car. Which means I had to contort it a bit to fit. It did take a little bit of careful filing and firm pressure to seat, but it worked out and looks great. Helps to do it on a warm day.

These kits seem to be somewhat rare in Japan and incredibly rare elsewhere.

#12 ·
Yea have to say at the moment, im leaning towards purchasing one of these Subaru Legacy & Outback In-dash Receiver Kit 2005-09, chassis size E at Crutchfield.com and getting to it with a hacksaw to remove the lower portion then a coat of paint to make it match. I figure it will fit a bit better and wont rattle?

Wont be many warm days on the way down here Rastaman. Ski season is just about to start, so might need to take a hairdryer with me to make it fit? HEHEH

#13 ·
Well got the faceplate from Ebay. Tried to fit it tonight and as im getting out of the car i dropped the faceplate and it shattered into several pieces.

Something is telling me that this car and me were never meant to be together. Iv yet to have anything to do with this car go right!

I think iv come to the point that I’m not going to bother trying to install an aftermarket stereo, as I see me and this car parting ways very shortly!

#14 ·
Well stereo is going in tomorrow sans any trim surround. Going to have to stay that way for some time I'm afraid. Will look god awful, but I'm sick of having a crappy McIntosh deck that skips at least three times through every track on every CD and has sound quality somewhat on a par with my mobile phone.

Its a sorry state of affairs I have to say, when the manufacturer of a vehicle wont sell you a part for a vehicle they manufacture? Hope your read this Subaru???

#16 ·
Well a bit of an update. I ordered another surround off Ebay. while trying to glue mounts to the plate the second one broke! they are made of such thin plastic that they have about as much strength as a sheet of dried pasta.

I’m at my tethers end with this car. Has anyone any ideas as to where I can get a surround for this stereo? I contacted Crutchfied and they won’t post overseas (Im in New Zealand) so no go on one of their surrounds. Not that that’s a big deal as id have to try and cut it and paint it with very little guarantee that it will actually fit anyway.

Anyone any ideas? Only thing I can come up with is stuffing some old socks in the void?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.