No keyhole on trunk? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default No keyhole on trunk?

am I correct there's no keyhole on the trunk? if so, can it be opened with the car running? if not, I might need to submit a post over at scooby's
snowon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure which model you're talking about, but it's a slightly annoying trend, keyholes disappearing from trunklids and passenger doors... the idea being that most cars have power locks and remote locking, so these keyholes are sacrificed in the name of cost saving. My 2004 Mazda6 has no passenger door keyhole; I had a rental Galant recently that had neither passenger nor trunklid keyhole.

In any event, I assume whatever car you're talking about has a trunk release lever/button near the driver that would work with the car running (key in ignition) or not.

my 2c
-Peter
Old 10-13-2004, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2013 XV Crosstrek

In my MY05 Outback, you can unlock the door and then you can open the hatch in the back. Or if the doors are locked, you can still use the keyfob thing to unlock just the trunk.

After three months of ownership, I just noticed the passenger side lacking a keyhole the other day. Wow. I hope I never get a problem with the driver side and perhaps a dead keyfob.

Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay H
In my MY05 Outback, you can unlock the door and then you can open the hatch in the back. Or if the doors are locked, you can still use the keyfob thing to unlock just the trunk.

After three months of ownership, I just noticed the passenger side lacking a keyhole the other day. Wow. I hope I never get a problem with the driver side and perhaps a dead keyfob.

Jay
yes, but can the hatch be opened with the car running? manually and with the key fob?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
roo
Flying Cavalry

Car: '04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic

The OBS will unlock anytime, just using the door panel lock/unlock button, but power must be active at the time.

Will also do so using the keyless entry, engine running or not, with a double-press within 5 seconds.

There's no remote lever inside the car except for the non-wagon's with trunks, FAIK. The Outback (Legacy) might be different, of course. As to it actually opening and not just unlocking, I don't think that can't be done, I guess only trunks do that. Maybe this is the real question?

2004 Impreza OBS Silver/Grey
roo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2004, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by roo
The OBS will unlock anytime, just using the door panel lock/unlock button, but power must be active at the time.

Will also do so using the keyless entry, engine running or not, with a double-press within 5 seconds.

There's no remote lever inside the car except for the non-wagon's with trunks, FAIK. The Outback (Legacy) might be different, of course. As to it actually opening and not just unlocking, I don't think that can't be done, I guess only trunks do that. Maybe this is the real question?
sorry, I meant "unlocked" I guess...it's just the car I have now, it won't pop open with the key fob if the car is running, but it does have a keyhole at least, so I just wanted to make sure the OB will open while the car is running
Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 XV Crosstrek

Ohhhh, I guess I'm confused with open and unlock.. (I think).

As Roo points out, there is no way to remotely OPEN the trunk, the keyfob "trunk unlock" or the double press of the "unlock button" or the door lock swith on the door handle will simply unlock the hatchback on the OB wagon. You still have to go back there and push the lever to open the hatch. If the hatch is unlocked, then you can open the hatch no matter what state the car is in. But there's no way to remotely open the hatch from inside or outside the car without physically pushing the lever.

I wish the OB had a rear window open option.

Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay H
Ohhhh, I guess I'm confused with open and unlock.. (I think).

As Roo points out, there is no way to remotely OPEN the trunk, the keyfob "trunk unlock" or the double press of the "unlock button" or the door lock swith on the door handle will simply unlock the hatchback on the OB wagon. You still have to go back there and push the lever to open the hatch. If the hatch is unlocked, then you can open the hatch no matter what state the car is in. But there's no way to remotely open the hatch from inside or outside the car without physically pushing the lever.

I wish the OB had a rear window open option.

Jay
gotcha, my car has a trunk, so there is no "unlocked", just open or closed. I would just hate to have to shut the car off just to unlock/open the hatch. Just wanted to find out before I buy.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Send a message via Yahoo to Jondalar

Snowon if you're talking about the MY05 wagon it has central locking which unlocks everything from the keyfob and once this is done the rear door is able to be opened from outside. There's a switch on the drivers door to lock the car from inside if you're driving through a bad area and don't want anyone to be able to open the rear while you're in the car.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT

I was surprised to see that my friend's Focus wagon has no exterior latch handle for the hatch; you have to open in with the key every time.
The_Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: